Notices

need help front dash rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:48 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help front dash rattle

I have to remove the front dash cover on my 996 tt and take a look and see whats causing the rattle and then maybe line it with felt. Does any body know to do this? Im happy to pay or reciprocate.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

If you're talking about removing the instrument cluster pod, then that's a piece of cake.
-Disconnect the battery
-pop off the little speaker grill on the left side of the gauges; there is a screw that you need to remove
-push the hazard button, then pull it off. then you need to pry (careful of the leather!) the bezel to reveal another screw to remove
- The pod should be free to come off. You'll need to disconnect the three electrical connections and hazard switch. They have little levers that lock or release.
Then you are good to start looking for your rattles.

Go to renntech.org and search for more complete instructions on how to remove parts of the dash.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:02 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Thank you for the post, the rattle is closer to the passenger side to the left of the passenger speaker. The dash cover in front of the instrument cluster is one piece and i think unclips where the A pillars meet the cover. I think an audio installer could do this without much trouble. Any body know an audio tech who does P cars?
Old 05-20-2012, 08:30 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

from looking at the repair manual , it seems once the A pillars are off and the alarm readiness cover is pulled , you then pull the defroster vents. There are a number of clips and fasteners. I think there is a broken clip or fastener, thats my theory at present.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I don't think the dash removes easily...these cars are made for track and to not rattle, ulike a civic or something. as a result the dashes are secured very securely. Good luck with your rattle. did something fall in the defrost vents?

Quick Reply: need help front dash rattle