Notices

Deader than dead Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM
boxgal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deader than dead Boxster

Finally went to unwrap my Boxster and no power to the key, unlocked it, key in ignition and its DEAD! Been on a trickle charger all winter, of course I can't get to the battery as I didn't leave it unlatched! Key won't come out of the ignition no either. New battery with oil change last year before I parked it for the season.
Can I boost the battery?
Advice needed
Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was on the trickle charger all winter, but are you sure the charger was set to charge? For example, when you plug a CTEK charger in, it doesn't charge until you select the mode. Accordingly, if you unplug it or the power goes out, it could revert to that state when it comes back on.

If you have access to a non-trickle battery charger, try putting that on it. If not, you may need a tow truck. You shouldn't boost it with jumper cables from another car in this case, in my opinion because you aren't sure of the state of the battery or what caused the car to behave the way it is.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

You can put power to the fuse panel down by your left foot; there is a connection point in there. Follow the instructions in the owner's manual.
If you have a trickle charger or booster pack that plugs into the lighter, that should also give you enough power to pop the hood.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 203 Posts

CTEK charger seems to revert to proper setting if the power goes out but to the default if the plug gets yanked. The orange CT charger will sometimes bump up from the 2 amp to the 4 amp setting if the power goes out.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

i second phils comment .. get a booster pack , put it on the lug inside the door and pop the hood. Then if you can put a full time battery charger on it for a few hours and get some juice in the battery .
Certainly can be a bad battery . i had one i had to return under warranty as it died in 6 months.

Try to charge it as fully as you can . The car alternator is designed to keep the battery topped up witha very low duty cycle. Charging deader than a door nail battery is VERY hard on an alternator that has to work full out.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:11 PM
boxgal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somehow the trickle charger was not working. Been plugged in to the trickle charger for an hour and was able to get my key out and open the hood. Better to leave it over night on the TC or take it for a run? Spoke to my mechanic and he said to bring it in. I'll do that but not for a few days as he's 2 hours away.....advice, thanks.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

yup let the tricklecharger have at it for the night. The longer the better .. it sounds like it is taking charge now . best thing is to let it start up slowly. i bet by tomorrow it will fire right up .
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

i battery tender that's charging should put out somewhere around 14-15v me thinks....

Borrow a 'full time' charger and try that... or set your trickle charger to the highest amperage - mine does 4amps and do that overnight.

You could take it for a run if you can get it started....

I think the cigarette lighter adapters are a bit finicky in Boxsters... I think the europeans use a slightly larger cigarette lighter than the rest of the world.... Sometimes they don't have good contact.... I have to stuff a shim of paper in to make sure my 12v electronics don't jiggle off.

P

Quick Reply: Deader than dead Boxster