Notices

New 911 owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

let me guess .... it used to be yellow ?

Well it looks like you are going for a full on resto at how much you have it stripped . be very carefull here is you could get very upside down very qyuickly.

That said however it doesnt look to bad .. a lot of surface rust . I would clean up that interior put some POR down over the whole thing and put it back together with some new carpet and enjoy the car .. that coupler area looks scary . was there a cover on it ir did it look just like that ? it his hard to tell in some spots if it is rust or a mix of red and yellow paint.

I am sure you know already how much carpet kits are for these cars .. will we see this car soon or are you gonne have it stripped for a while ?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:42 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

The slippery slope has begun!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Welcome. We'll have to introduce you to Frank, our favorite parts guy.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
pureham
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I had some time to work on it Sunday so I stripped the old rustproof off the floors, grinded some of the surface rust down, and tackeled the pedal area.

I just welded in some sheet metal after about a half hour of shaping and reshaping, and finished it with some short strand fibreglass to make it look pretty.

There's nothing like surprises I guess the PO wanted a sunroof so they weled in a new roof. The problem is they didn't prep or even prime the metal when they were done so the welds rusted right out. Looks like im going to be doing a little more welding than I thought. They didn't even think to shoot some rust proof into the pillars which is so easily accsecible, unbelievable!!!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
pureham
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Iceman. I'm trying to keep my cool and not go overboard. The problem is this snowball effect. You do one thing you may as well do another and another, and then you get a surprise so all of a sudden you have a pretty big list.

My POR 15 just came in today actually. I'm going to do the floors and rear seat pan. I bought some silver POR 15 for the rear seat pan. It has metal filler for areas that have become pitted badly.

I'm planning to have the car out late summer or early fall. Once I get the POR down I'm jumping to the body work. The body is fairly straight other than the sections where they welde in the new roof, so hopefully that will be quick, Than give it a couple coats of primer and on to engine removal.

I'm dropping the engine to change the main seal (flywheel side) and the transmission is also leaking at the front (linkage side)

So yah as 911 rod says it's pretty slippery. Like an ice storm, and I got on my summer tires I'm trying to post more pictures but it looks like I've reached my limit. Is there any reason why I can't post any more pictures?

Quick Reply: New 911 owner