Notices

CHris Harris drives the new Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:44 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 276 Likes on 185 Posts

They seem to have picked up alot of great design elements from the Carrera GT. Bet the Cayman will look awsome. Too bad about the electric steering. Top Gear loved the 991 engine but trashed the steering. I'd wait 'till they fix it.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they "fix it" it might show up in the gt3 but not in the road cars until the mid cycle refresh. As someone that has driven the 991 and don't go on the track, I don't mind the new steering. Or PDK for that matter. Sacrilege for some, but hey, it's my money
Old 03-16-2012, 01:15 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
Or PDK for that matter. Sacrilege for some, but hey, it's my money
Leaves us poor sports car enthusiast people less choice when you get rid of your hand me downs . We won't want it because its lost its connection and it I'll depreciate more then ever because only the wana bees will buy it and most of them are too frugal so won't.

looking on the bright side maybe all these people buying pdk's in not all bad, would make a great future competition track car if the price drops down enough.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:32 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Remember when the 911 went from manual steering to conventional power steering? Now it is a new change. I will reserve judgement until I actually try it.

However, the new styling is absolutely fantastic to my eye. I also applaud that the car is stiffer, lighter and more fuel efficient. A very worthy update.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:03 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 276 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Leaves us poor sports car enthusiast people less choice when you get rid of your hand me downs . We won't want it because its lost its connection and it I'll depreciate more then ever because only the wana bees will buy it and most of them are too frugal so won't.

looking on the bright side maybe all these people buying pdk's in not all bad, would make a great future competition track car if the price drops down enough.
That's what I'm thinkin' - good cheap track ***** but get a classic for feel.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
i doubt it. i think there are far more "wannabe's" as you call them than enthusiasts. i mean porsche canada sold about 1000 new 911's this year and how many go on boards like rennlist? 4? 5? the other 995 just drive the car and not worry about things like electronic throttle vs. cable, water cooled vs. air cooled, FI vs. DFI, pdk vs. manual. hell there were lots of automatic (not-pdk) 911's sold in 2008.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

i doubt it. i think there are far more "wannabe's" as you call them than enthusiasts. i mean porsche canada sold about 1000 new 911's this year and how many go on boards like rennlist? 4? 5? the other 995 just drive the car and not worry about things like electronic throttle vs. cable, water cooled vs. air cooled, FI vs. DFI, pdk vs. manual. hell there were lots of automatic (not-pdk) 911's sold in 2008.
+1
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

The wannabees have many choices and more practical choices that can also haul around full grown kids.

I find PDK's are annoying, it has it's place for the people less skilled and need to keep up to the skilled.
I would never spend that kind of money on a new car that I'll find annoying every time I drive it, just so I can keep up to guys who have no skill and have it. I'd love to have one if it did both but it doesn't. I'd love to have one just to compete against those that have one but I wouldn't and can't afford that.
If you ever driven a bike maybe you would appreciate the clutch and the craftsmanship it takes to master it. Though sightly more detached with the left foot. I don't need computers to do it for me I prefer the challenge of doing it all my self.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Great video, the side profile almost starts to look like a 911 Turbo Cab with the air intake on the side.

Quick Reply: CHris Harris drives the new Boxster S