Notices

iRacing Mosport

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 01:49 AM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iRacing Mosport

The past year or so has kept me so busy I haven't had time to think. Now that things have settled down I've been missing track days. While it's not exactly the real thing this simultaor is as close as I'm getting to Mosport for the next few months. I seem to recall a few rennlisters were on board with this game a while back. Anyone still playing it? If so, I'd love to host a regular game to tide us over till spring.

http://iracing.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rfactor also has Mosport available, i don't know if iracing does.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

J.P and I have it. I've sent you a friend request.

The graphics are so crisp and the laser scanned tracks are amazing. Only problem is that the suspension and game physics are not as good as Forza 4. iRacing feels like iSkating. Over emphasized car physics. Lack of grip and force feed back effects. You run over a small bump the suspension will unsettle so much you lose grip and spin or I've seen some places that send you off like you hit a land mine. The edge of the track is like ice.

The Miata is a nice fun safe car to drive around, it can get you hooked but when you get into the other cars that where you find the problems I am talking about. I run 2 races a week in B class, I rarely spend more then 5 min in practice and don't do well in the race because I am to worried about sliding off the track and into a wall. iRacing needs a least an hour of practice for me to run fast laps and the guys on there are still at least 2 seconds faster a lap.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Jumper, above, but I do think it's the best thing going.

I've driven a real Spec Miata, and from that I judge that their MX-5 Cup model is pretty accurate. The Spec Racer Ford is also a lot of fun in the sim (though it's downright treacherous in turn 4 at Mosport).

Additionally, I find it hard to get any feel in turn 5 in the sim.

There are two threads about regular iRacing races (advanced and beginner) in the Racing and Driver's Education forum, as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a break from iracing for 6 months while relocating (Oz to Canada) but just getting back into it. I love it especially the Skip Barber and Formula Mazda. It gets my heart pumping when I have a close race with someone.

Cheers, Ben
Old 02-11-2012, 09:26 AM
gteehan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

Jumper - I just added you too. We should sync up and race sometime. I put in a race pretty much everyday at this point, but it's still new to me. If anyone else is interested join in too. You can find me on iracing under Geoff Teehan.

Been using iRacing for a couple weeks. It's feels far more like a sim than anything else I've tried. Gran Turismo looks fantastic but it's too forgiving. I briefly tried rFactor but the tracks looked inaccurate.

Last edited by gteehan; 02-11-2012 at 09:27 AM. Reason: added iracing name
Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Got to get your self a Ford GT and schedule some hosted races with the guys here. The Ford GT and the HPD are my favorites and are also easier to drive then some of the cars in iRacing.

No other game does come close to racing simulation and track accuracy as iRacing but I feel Forza 4 has much better feel in ffb effects to a real car feel given a game can't transfer the g forces you get in the real car. It's the ability to send the driver feel of the front and rear grip level and loss of grip as well as weight transfer is second to none. As well how the cockpit moves around giving you a sense of the cars body movement, iRacing. But it doesn't have the nice graphics, near as many tracks nor the racing simulation you get from iRacing.

Quick Reply: iRacing Mosport