Notices

Camp4 - Winter Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM
bigboi's911S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camp4 - Winter Driving School

I took part in Porsche's Camp4 winter driving school in Quebec last weekend, and it was an incredible weekend. Beautiful weather, beautiful cars (including the new 991 C2S, GTS4, and Cayman), incredible instructors, and a really cool track in the middle of nowhere!

If any of you are thinking about participating, or feel like your winter driving could use some improvement - check it out, it's a really fun weekend.

Impressions of the 991 - The exterior looks beautiful and much nicer in person than in pictures. The dark colours looked better (grey & blk) than the white one, but I'm partial to darker colours. The drive is also incredible, very stable, great handling, the steering isn't that much different, it's fast, you can definitely feel the longer wheel base and the increased stability in the car. Interior - here comes the bad news - I didn't like it at all. Even though the cabin is said to be larger, you feel cramped. I hate the centre console, it's ugly and comes up way to high. The cars we drove were automatic, so I can only imagine how cramped and strange the position of the shift **** for a manual transmission would be. One cool thing - the G Forces meter, that was a cool little gadget.

For me, I would've rather picked one of the GTS4's than the 991 :-). There you have it my extremely technical review (lol) of the 991.

Here are the pics...
http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ShareLand...localeid=en_CA
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like a fun weekend.
I guess the cayman is the new 911 !
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Kodak still exists? ;-)

Great shots!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was on track with a 991 this past weekend, too -- in Texas. Awesome looking car (though I find myself wishing that it were lower) but I didn't ride in or drive it because it was a dealer car -- and the dealer had it there to play, evidently.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboi's911S
I took part in Porsche's Camp4 winter driving school in Quebec last weekend, and it was an incredible weekend. Beautiful weather, beautiful cars (including the new 991 C2S, GTS4, and Cayman), incredible instructors, and a really cool track in the middle of nowhere!

If any of you are thinking about participating, or feel like your winter driving could use some improvement - check it out, it's a really fun weekend.

Impressions of the 991 - The exterior looks beautiful and much nicer in person than in pictures. The dark colours looked better (grey & blk) than the white one, but I'm partial to darker colours. The drive is also incredible, very stable, great handling, the steering isn't that much different, it's fast, you can definitely feel the longer wheel base and the increased stability in the car. Interior - here comes the bad news - I didn't like it at all. Even though the cabin is said to be larger, you feel cramped. I hate the centre console, it's ugly and comes up way to high. The cars we drove were automatic, so I can only imagine how cramped and strange the position of the shift **** for a manual transmission would be. One cool thing - the G Forces meter, that was a cool little gadget.

For me, I would've rather picked one of the GTS4's than the 991 :-). There you have it my extremely technical review (lol) of the 991.

Here are the pics...
http://www.kodakgallery.ca/ShareLand...localeid=en_CA
I was there on Tuesday, all I can say is What an Outstanding event!
Very impressed with the 991, felt very planted, steering was a little numb and a little less responsive as compared to the GT2, but especially the GT3 RS.
Was not at all impressed with the 4wd system in the GTS on the skidpad as compared to my Audi. IMHO Quattro Rulz, I think my 996 Turbo had a better 4wd, less invasive and far more intuitive.

Can't post any pictures for obvious reasons, should be published in April Provinz

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
I was there on Tuesday, all I can say is What an Outstanding event!
Very impressed with the 991, felt very planted, steering was a little numb and a little less responsive as compared to the GT2, but especially the GT3 RS.
Was not at all impressed with the 4wd system in the GTS on the skidpad as compared to my Audi. IMHO Quattro Rulz, I think my 996 Turbo had a better 4wd, less invasive and far more intuitive.

Can't post any pictures for obvious reasons, should be published in April Provinz

I'm surprised by this comment. I have a 997.1 which uses the "old" awd system from the 996 (viscous clutch). The newer system, the one in the GTS and based on the 997 turbo awd, is supposed to be more responsive, requiring less slip before the clutch starts transferring power. It's also capable of torque vectoring whereas the 996 system is not.

With my own car, I find the amount of slip required to get the car to move torque forward to be a little more than I like. The tail wags a lot before the car lines up when on the power in slush or ice. Of course no viscous system can match a Torsten-based mechanical system like Quattro (used on Audi sedans, not the TT or a3 s3).

Last edited by jasonintoronto; 02-09-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
Of course no viscous system can match a Torsten-based mechanical system like Quattro (used on Audi sedans, not the TT or a3 s3).
Agreed. The Quattro system is fantastic.

Quick Reply: Camp4 - Winter Driving School