BC Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Ben_C
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BC Insurance

Hi all,

I am shortly to have my car shipped up from Florida and need some insurance. Are all insurers the same or should I shop around? Any recommendations?

Thanks, Ben
Old 01-28-2012, 04:29 PM
duncan1437
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just stumbled on these JD Power surveys about a week ago. they do an annual survey of canadian auto insurance and home insurance that split canada into 3 regions.

here's the 2011 auto insurance press release and the details for western canada:

http://www.jdpower.com/news/pressrel...spx?ID=2011151

http://www.jdpower.com/ca/insurance/...tings/western/
Old 01-28-2012, 04:38 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

In BC there's only one choice and thats ICBC. It's run by the province and isn't bad. You buy insurance at the same place you get your plate tags and I understand you can do it 1/4 ly.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:35 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The previous post is not quite correct. You must buy the minimum required insurance through ICBC. However, it is an open market for extended liability, comprehensive and collision. These coverages you can get from ICBC or a combination of ICBC and Private insurance Underwriters.

Having said that my 996 TT is all with ICBC as the private insurance company I use won't touch the Turbo. No problem with my 2012 BMW 650 Cab though.

Often (it's what I do) you go to the same agent/broker that has your homeowner of similar policies.

In the survey mentioned, Canada Direct is shown as best in West. They wouldn't even cover my 1982 911SC! I wouldn't even try them for the TT. Also, Canada Direct used to (not sure if they do now) their own adjusting and mandated which body shop you used. You need to be careful about that with any private insurer for collision and comprehensive. Make sure you can choose your body shop when you need that service.

John in Vancouver

Quick Reply: BC Insurance