Notices

Chris Harris in his RS 4.0 vid

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

"we can't find enough freelancers"

Is that really the case? If so, I'm very surprised because it seems that just about everyone has a car blog and writes car reviews these days.

I'd love it if there was demand for more auto journos. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Easy really. We can't find enough automotive freelancers.

1. Get a University Degree in English and a College diploma in Journalist OR a University degree in journalism or creative writing.
2. Intern
3. Freelance

Piece of cake.

That said...I did it for over a decade and have a philosophy degree and never freelanced but I was fortunate.
How about a mechanical engineering degree and skipping te intern phase!?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
"we can't find enough freelancers"

Is that really the case? If so, I'm very surprised because it seems that just about everyone has a car blog and writes car reviews these days.

I'd love it if there was demand for more auto journos. Sorry for the thread hijack.
Let me be more specific. We can't find anyone who can write well enough for our publications. Any monkey can reword a press release...actually many can't even do that.

Finding someone that can tell a compelling story...that's a different matter. Finding someone that can do that AND submit on time, on length and in the right voice is nearly impossible.

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
How about a mechanical engineering degree and skipping te intern phase!?
Mechanical engineering is a good background but you'll probably still need formal journalism training. A college diploma from Centennial or Humber and a Mech Eng. degree is a very good combo. Being proficient in amateur racing racing will be advantageous as well as it lends credibility to your dynamic evaluations.

If you're serious shoot me a PM and you can buy me a coffee and I'll tell you all about it;-)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 276 Likes on 185 Posts

Awsome. Now that's how you're supposed to drive on the street! 19mpg?! It's a ruddy Prius compared to my 15mpg. Though, he'd be burned as a witch on the 993 turbo site for putting it through a car wash.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris in his RS 4.0 vid