What fuel do you use ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used 91 in all my small engines ... run great and perform the best with it. Outboards ... especially the older ones will love it. Easy starts, smooth idling and gobs of power ... and ... no ethanol to absorb water.

Use it in Chainsaws, Generator, lawnmower, weedwacker, snow blower, 6 and 25 HP outboards and as some have found out ... if you use ethanol fuel on snowmobiles, you have to get it re jetted. A few have had motors burn out. Ask Gretch ....

No dwnside to using V91 ...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:00 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
No downside to using V91 ...
Other than cost and the fact that a higher octane does not produce more power unless the engine requires it.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

1. Better starting & running.
2. Better performance.
3. Does not absorb water as fast as ethanol does.
4. Stores longer in equipment.
5. Motors don't burn out like they do with ethanol (ask Gretch).
Old 01-04-2012, 03:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

2. Better performance.
3. Does not absorb water as fast as ethanol does.
On 2, do you mean more horsepower? If all a car needs is 87, then using a higher octane does not provide more power. That or all the guys in the fuel & lubricants lab the next floor up, are wrong. That Sunoco Per-4-Mance label on the pump handle is a bit of false advertizing. Its true if the engine needs high octane.

On 3, do you mean long term storage? I'd want water to be absorbed by my fuel so that it doesn't end up sitting around in my system causing corrosion.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

All of my outboard engines from 1959 MY, 1979 MY, 2002 MY and my large 25 HP 1992 Mercury outboards ran way better with V91 than on any other fuel. Ehtanol on a boat on the water absorbs water vapours and lasts for maybe a few months before it goes bad.

I have 1/10th the issues using V91 then with any other gasoline when it comes to starting as well as running/working. Check out what ethanol does to the fuel delivery systems a slightly older vehicles/gasoline powered products as well as the BTU's it produces VS 100 gasoline fuels. It has been posted inthreads on the Canad forum ... search it.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:34 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Check out what ethanol does to the fuel delivery systems a slightly older vehicles/gasoline powered products as well as the BTU's it produces VS 100 gasoline fuels.
I remember the issues with too much alcohol in the fuel which is why alcohol-proof float kits were available for some motorcycles. I never had issues though, even though a kit was available for mine.

On the second point, let me pass this by the chemists at work. I hate chemistry.

I can see moisture absorption being an issue on a boat, but my car, not an issue.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

this link ---> http://www.alekpochowski.com/d/ethanol.doc

Now there are a number of variables that confound accurate fuel economy measurements. Vehicle technology, state of tune, ambient temperatures, head winds, road grade, tire pressure, use of air conditioners, and numerous other factors have an impact on fuel economy. Even whether or not the car is level each time you fill it can distort fuel economy readings by several percentage points. Does using ethanol mean you have to burn more fuel because of a lower amount of energy?

A gallon of gasoline from California has around 111, 500 BTU's. A gallon of E10 has 104,324 BTU’s. That is, E10 has 6.43% less energy in it than a gallon of 100% petroleum gasoline. Will a 6.43% decrease be noticed? Tests and studies suggest that fuel economy may decrease by approximately 2% in fuel-injected cars.

Cars averaging 30 miles per gallon (MPG) on the highway would average 29.4 MPG using an ethanol-blended fuel. Not enough to be detected by the average driver. Now the use of ethanol fuel may decrease mileage slightly just keep in mind that the use of ethanol fuel contributes to a cleaner environment, stronger economy, and increased energy security.

Another link -----> http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_...ms_damage.html

Porsche - E10 warnings/precautions only- Quote, "...change to a different fuel or station if any of the following problems occur: deterioration of driveability and performance, substantially reduced fuel economy, vapor lock, and engine malfunction or stalling"

It's your car, your $$$'s and up to you as to what you want to do. me ... I tend to follow warnings ... YMMV__________________
Old 01-04-2012, 05:04 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

A gallon of gasoline from California has around 111, 500 BTU's. A gallon of E10 has 104,324 BTU’s.
Jaak, what about a gallon of straight 87 (no ethanol) compared to a gallon of 93 (no ethanol)? How do the BTUs compare?
Old 01-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Ethanol has reduced BTU's ... compared to gasoline. It's almost impossible to find 100% 87 octane gasoline. V91 is one of the only ones that I know that is 100% gasoline with no ethanol. Ethanol is the issue .... not the octane level.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:03 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

I have an interesting observation from a a recent 6,000 km trip to Florida in my 996. When I filled up with Shell 93 I consistently got 1.8 to 2.1 mpg better than when I filled up at other stations (Mobil, BP, Exxon). Speeds were generally similar, as were driving conditions.

Quick Reply: What fuel do you use ?