Notices

Is this normal? Pelican Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this normal? Pelican Parts

I placed an order with Pelican Parts and they sent me the following message. Is this normal?

This email is to inform you of the status of your order.

We require a copy of your credit card and a photo ID before we can process your order. This is standard procedure for all international customers who haven't ordered from us previously.

There are two options available to process this requirement:

1. You can fax a copy of your credit card and photo ID to us at 1-310-626-8764.

2. You can take a picture of your credit card and photo ID, and send them as an attachment in an email reply to this message.

If you are uncomfortable with this policy, we understand that as well. We can accept a bank wire transfer as payment instead if you wish. Please respond to this email if you'd like the needed info for a bank transfer.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. These precautions are necessary to protect all of our customers from credit card fraud.

Pelican Parts Customer Support
Phone: 1-888-280-7799 (US/Canada) / 310-626-8765 International
Pelican Parts Message Center: http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/ContactUs.htm

-----------------------------

Want to track your order from the web? Use this link:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/support/track_enter.htm

This PerlDesk message was sent by Pelican staff member George
Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
passion911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This must be a new policy. I'd call them and confirm.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

No, that's not new. I've been through it before, the first time I placed a large order with them several years ago. They do that on any order over (I think) $1000 that's coming to Canada (or maybe anywhere outside the US). I called them and they explained the whole thing to me. Nothing to worry about.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
No, that's not new. I've been through it before, the first time I placed a large order with them several years ago. They do that on any order over (I think) $1000 that's coming to Canada (or maybe anywhere outside the US). I called them and they explained the whole thing to me. Nothing to worry about.
+1
normal procedure and a great company
you can also visit them about 10 mins from LAX airport, I have been there before, not any porsches in the parking lot however and a small room in front of a warehouse.
what did you order?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

They are great to deal with. But not the cheapest. They are a good source for hard to find items though.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:57 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbodan
+1
normal procedure and a great company
you can also visit them about 10 mins from LAX airport, I have been there before, not any porsches in the parking lot however and a small room in front of a warehouse.
what did you order?
Planning for some winter maintenance projects. I'm going to have the exhaust system off the C4S this winter so I thought I'd take the opportunity to replace the spark plugs and coils.

I called Pelican to confirm this request is standard procedure and was told it has been for quite some time. He said to scan the credit card with only the last four numbers showing and to cover the license number as well. I thought that was a fair compromise.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I can't remember what I did to validate the order when I first ordered, but they gave me the impression at that time that it was because I hadn't ordered from them before. They'll probably also send you a welcome package, which I found delicious.

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

suncoast and sonnen is cheaper
Old 12-09-2011, 08:24 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
suncoast and sonnen is cheaper
Hey Zookie,

I can't speak to Sonnen; however, the plugs, coils, cabin filter and exhaust gaskets I purchased from Pelican were all cheaper than Suncoast. I'll have to give Sonnen a try sometime. It definitely pays to shop around.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 498 Posts

That's what the credit card company fraud departments are for. As long as your shipping address is your CC biling address that's all they need to worry about. And as long as the transaction goes through. I would never scan my I'd for anyone. Next you will hear somone found this out, breaks into there systems and bingo has pictures of you and your ID.

If they are that worried, they can pick up the phone and call in the authorization to their debit/credit provider.

Just sayin,
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ Elliott
Hey Zookie,

I can't speak to Sonnen; however, the plugs, coils, cabin filter and exhaust gaskets I purchased from Pelican were all cheaper than Suncoast. I'll have to give Sonnen a try sometime. It definitely pays to shop around.
Well Suncoast and Sonnen have the exact same prices... The Prices on Suncoast website is marked up. If you contact them (or sonnen) directly with the Part Numbers you want the parts are consideribaly cheaper...

For example, Suncoast has listed the "GT3 Brake Ducts" for $29.95 for the Pair on their Website... They are Actually $4.50 Each

Most of the Genuine Porsche Parts on Pelican Parts are US Porsche Dealer MSRP

The Plugs, Coils, Cabin Filter and Exhaust Gasket you bought were Genuine Porsche or Aftermarket Replacement? Suncoast and Sonnen only carry Factory Parts... so if you bought Aftermarket Replacement from Pelican , its not a suprise they were cheaper than Suncoast, know what i mean?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 PM
gtihop
Instructor

I had to do that the first time I ordered from them for a big order. Helps protect from credit card fraud.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:44 PM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Originally Posted by Zookie
Well Suncoast and Sonnen have the exact same prices... The Prices on Suncoast website is marked up. If you contact them (or sonnen) directly with the Part Numbers you want the parts are consideribaly cheaper...

For example, Suncoast has listed the "GT3 Brake Ducts" for $29.95 for the Pair on their Website... They are Actually $4.50 Each

Most of the Genuine Porsche Parts on Pelican Parts are US Porsche Dealer MSRP

The Plugs, Coils, Cabin Filter and Exhaust Gasket you bought were Genuine Porsche or Aftermarket Replacement? Suncoast and Sonnen only carry Factory Parts... so if you bought Aftermarket Replacement from Pelican , its not a suprise they were cheaper than Suncoast, know what i mean?
So just for calling them they'll deeply discount their prices on genuine parts? What's the secret handshake?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 PM
passion911
Instructor

I've ordered from them a bit over the last few years and never had to do any of that (nor would I) but none of my orders were near $1K.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 272 Likes on 182 Posts

I used paypal with Pelican on some small stuff but Zookie's right. Sonnen is way better deal. Pelican's prices are way high on some expensive items I've ended up getting at Sonnen.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Pelican Parts