Notices

dealers who play nice re. recall letter

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:48 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealers who play nice re. recall letter

Wondering if anyone has found a specific dealer in the US (or here in Canada) who makes a regular habit out of providing the Job Management printout for the purposes of complying with RIV recall letter ...

If there is one who is willing to do these for a reasonable fee it would help me out on an upcoming import.

Car is out of warranty so in theory shouldn't be an issue getting it from Canadian dealer (especially if they want future service business) but in practice I'm sure it will be.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Make it a part of your PPI from a US Porsche dealer.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Imported mine in late October, did not purchase from a P dealer, but had a local US Porche dealer inspect and service the car before export. RIV accepted a fax copy from the dealer showing re-call work completed.This was satisfactory.

Job management printout came with service receipt.

Local P dealer wanted $ 500 for inspection, safety. e-test, letter for submitting to RIV.

Ended up costing me $ 170, safety and e-test only. Inspection and letter not needed.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Get the recall letter and DRL in the US Dave.

Much easier.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

PPI was done at an independent.

Seller is talking to his local dealer ... they put up some resistance but after he pushed they said they would see what they could do - fingers crossed. If that falls through, its going to be calling dealers until I find a cooperative one.

This is a bit of a hole in the RIV process which is effectively protectionist - they want proof of recalls addressed - I don't particularly have an issue with that - but there should be some manner in which to comply at a reasonable price / expense. Perhaps making it a requirement for any Canadian dealer to provide this information at a nominal charge on request ... but I guess that's perhaps getting a little too left leaning ... grrr.

DRL - that's one I hadn't thought of ... will mention that to seller.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

We've been complaining to RIV about the recall letter issue for years now. Carfax includes recall information, but RIV won't accept it. Worst case scenario is to look up all the US dealers on porsche.com and just start calling them. Ask for the service manager, offer to pay an invoice for half an hour's labour. Eventually you'll get one that says yes.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Also, from my personal experience, the only time to buy an "extended warranty" is from a US dealer at purchase/inspection.
I found that back in Canada you cannot purchase an extended warranty on a US car ? even if the car is still under warranty from Porsche.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

A guy in ottawa has a DRL solution for 996s and Boxsters that is only $15 and installs in 30 seconds. Not sure if it works on 997s.

You can call your local Porsche dealer and tell them that you want to import a car from the US but are concerned about the recall status - ie you want to make sure that they are done. In general, the dealers dont know that the job management sheet is all you need. A local dealer provided it to me after a PPI on a local car failed. They asked if I wanted that print out for RIV, I said yes. They said that it would not work and that the only thing that would is the letter from P/NA, and the only way for me to get that was to bring the car for an inspection, to have DRLs installed, safety, emissions, etc...and then theyd give me the letter. I said "I know but would appreciate the print out anyways for my records".

RIV approved it a few hours later.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
They said that it would not work and that the only thing that would is the letter from P/NA, and the only way for me to get that was to bring the car for an inspection, to have DRLs installed, safety, emissions, etc...
Lies. Was that Pfaff by any chance?

The printout is fine, so long as a business card with Porsche logo is photocopied onto it. First-hand experience. I've imported several Porsches and not one has been through a CDN dealership.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

You can try calling 1(800) PORSCHE and asking for a recall printout and see if they will fax or email it to you. I'd not mention that you are importing the car, but just checking for open recall campaigns.

PCNA used to provide this service until the Canadian dealers made a stink.

Back on 2003 PCNA faxed me the needed recall letter and even followed up with a hard copy.

At the time I purchased my US car I had a Dave Strong Porsche in SLC do the PPI, they were very friendly and to this day still give me info when I call at no charge, that the local dealer won't.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Yeah - its crazy. The RIV online documents explicitly state that the printout from the service dept "database" is acceptable so long as VIN # is present, etc.

The seller's local dealer said they will do it - just waiting for the fax.

Full link is here ... - excerpt below ..

RIV will accept any of the following recall clearance information:

1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.The letter must be written on company letterhead clearly stating that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will be rejected. The letter must be dated and signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer and include their name and title, the vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.

2. A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database.This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling their head office and providing them with the dealership’s location. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN), year, make and model, and indicate that there are no outstanding recalls. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Dealer in Newport Beach came through - got the fax just minutes ago. Its all good to go on this front.

Now on to the DRL ... ;o) There's got to be a way to do that without a dealer ...
Old 12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
Dealer in Newport Beach came through - got the fax just minutes ago. Its all good to go on this front.

Now on to the DRL ... ;o) There's got to be a way to do that without a dealer ...
I thought the DRLs could be activated with the OBC on the 997s. Maybe it requires a trip to the dealer to be activated but I thinks it's a software issue unlike the 996's and 986's that require a hardware hack to get DRL's.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...?highlight=drl

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...?highlight=drl
Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

My limited reading so far is that the 997 with PCM can turn it on or off via driver preference (in US - probably disabled in CDA since is a requirement ... I've seen some posts saying this but frankly I don't recall that option on my Canadian 997S with PCM).

Not sure it can be done by driver without PCM. So that would suggest it needs to go to dealer with PIWIS I guess.

However, being an electrical type, I'm thinking there HAS to be a way to make it work well enough to pass an inspection ... Anyway I'm sure there are a bazillion posts on this in Rennlist, Renntech, 6-speed, etc. - just need to search.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

... or go to Canadian Tire apparently?

Congratulations and good luck.

Quick Reply: dealers who play nice re. recall letter