Notices

Importing a US car to Canada

Old 12-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Gas tax is for trucks and suvs. While. It explicitly exempt, I don't know of any non suv/truck vehicle (i.e. regular car) that gets hit with it.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Christien
Race Car

Ugh, I hate iPhone autocorrect. That should read "while not explicitly..."
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Call the Canadian border patrol, they'll tell ya what's gonna get the "gas tax" some P models are not exempt
Old 12-12-2011, 09:48 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the process of picking up a 911 in the US and was thinking of having the car shipped to the border (WA), and then I would drive it across going through customs etc. etc. Thinking this through abit more and seeing posts here, it appears that I would need insurance, tags, permit from WA in order to drive it across. Would that be possible given that I am buying the car in another state (should I buy the permit in that state instead even though I am shipping it?). I assume as well that ICBC (here in BC) would not give me a temp. permit. Any help or ideas appreciated.

I would love to drive it back but it is quite far, the middle of winter and the car has no snow tires
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

I believe gas tax is from 2007 on only.
Get the seller to get youba permit, get insurance at home and drive it from the border.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by frankv
I am in the process of picking up a 911 in the US and was thinking of having the car shipped to the border (WA), and then I would drive it across going through customs etc. etc. Thinking this through abit more and seeing posts here, it appears that I would need insurance, tags, permit from WA in order to drive it across. Would that be possible given that I am buying the car in another state (should I buy the permit in that state instead even though I am shipping it?). I assume as well that ICBC (here in BC) would not give me a temp. permit. Any help or ideas appreciated.

I would love to drive it back but it is quite far, the middle of winter and the car has no snow tires
The day you handed over a cheque its yours, wherever it may be. Forward the VIN to your insurance co and get it covered immediatly ???
Your only goin a get a temp plate from the state its registered at. Get a temp plate from whoever sold you the car. For me shipping it ot the border was the easiest, then with the car being temp plated and insured I drove it accross the border, then handed over my first born !
Old 12-15-2011, 01:17 AM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Mumbles

ok, I get the handing over the cheque part and it's mine bit and I also see the need to insure it.

Given that I am transporting it am I not covered under the transportation company's insurance while in transit, if not is there some special insurance that I get for this sort of thing? I'll check with ICBC tomorrow but I would like to know what I should be asking for.

I estimate that it will be about 2 weeks from the time I hand over the cheque to the time it arrives at the border and given that ICBC charges about $40/day for a regular temp registration/insurance that will really add up ... and I am not even driving it!

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:12 AM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure ICBC rules may differ from other insurance co rules. My ^%}={+} insurance co. refused to put liability on my car I am importing until it has been landed in Canada and they have inspected it. I asked but what if I need to drive it - they basically refused to budge. Since i have a trailer, I said "fine" but at least give me fire, theft, etc. for while it is sitting waiting for transport pickup, dropped off at border waiting for export process, etc. It was like pulling teeth but they finally agreed to give me that basic coverage but I have to bring it in for inspection immediately.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

a_d , Did you sort out the re-call letter situation ?
& does your car qualify for "gas tax"
Old 12-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by acadian_dad
I'm sure ICBC rules may differ from other insurance co rules. My ^%}={+} insurance co. refused to put liability on my car I am importing until it has been landed in Canada and they have inspected it. I asked but what if I need to drive it - they basically refused to budge. Since i have a trailer, I said "fine" but at least give me fire, theft, etc. for while it is sitting waiting for transport pickup, dropped off at border waiting for export process, etc. It was like pulling teeth but they finally agreed to give me that basic coverage but I have to bring it in for inspection immediately.
You've got to be kidding! That's ridiculous. What if you didn't have a trailer? How are you supposed to get it to them for an inspection if it's not insured? I'd call another insurance company and get proper coverage. I'd want the full all-perils if it were my car.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:48 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Co-operators had no problem giving me temp insurance on mine before I bought the car. I called them with the VIN a few days before purchase, they gave me some temp slips and I drove it home with full coverage.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Co-operators had no problem giving me temp insurance on mine before I bought the car. I called them with the VIN a few days before purchase, they gave me some temp slips and I drove it home with full coverage.
Cooperators were the ones giving me the run around ... was your car a dealer sale vs. private ? That seemed to bother them. The local person claimed "underwriting" was refusing to cover until inspected.

Originally Posted by Christien
You've got to be kidding! That's ridiculous. What if you didn't have a trailer? How are you supposed to get it to them for an inspection if it's not insured? I'd call another insurance company and get proper coverage. I'd want the full all-perils if it were my car.
At this point its covered for everything but liability except when its on the truck where it is covered by the carrier. They certainly aren't helping their case come renewal time.

Frankly the whole thing doesn't make sense to me as if I were the insurance co. the comprehensive coverage is the thing I would want to inspect the vehicle for before offering ... the liability should have no correlation to inspecting the car ... bizarre but its the run around I ran into.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I bought my car privately.

My inspection consisted of sending them two pics that I took of the car from my garage a few weeks after I bought the car.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

ask for a binder policy until it is registered
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 PM
bruinfn4lf
4th Gear

Will Canadian dealers honour the CPO on a US purchased used vehicle.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importing a US car to Canada