Notices

996/Boxster Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:00 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts
Default 996/Boxster Ignition Switch

Seems like it is very common for the ignition switch in 996s and Boxsters to bust, and true to form, it did in my new to me 996TT on the weekend.

I take great pride in saving a buck and Im impatient and Im always looking for a reason to buy a new tool, so I lit up google and found a good DIY.

http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/igniti...ignition08.jpg

I found the part at a local supply store ($25).

It took me about 40 minutes, in the dark, in the cold, in a garage that I couldnt open the car door completely.

If you are in Toronto, have a 996 or apparently a Boxster and your ignition switch busts, and you want help, IM HERE FOR YOU!!! Shoot me a PM and we will save you hundreds of dollars too. But I would characterize this DIY as fairly easy. You need small screwdrivers and a T20 driver.

Note: The units in these cars are so bad that Porsche no longer sells the switch itself, it sells a larger unit to properly address the problem. The switch I put in will likely fail again during the time that I own the car, but the install was easy enough I dont mind doing it again and the whole assembly is God-knows-how-much at Porsche. So this is a fix that I will probably have to do again.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 12-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

i had mine done under warranty
Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

They prob replaced yours with the whole assembly Zook

But if they didnt and it fails again, it is an easy fix. It is a single beer job!

Quick Reply: 996/Boxster Ignition Switch