lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how did it check out? Ok i hope?
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous car! I know something about the car as I was in contact with Jamie around the time of the purchase. He bought it from Marshall Goldman who is a very reputable business for these cars in the USA. I would be surprised if the car did NOT pass the PPI with flying colours. Don't forget to post some pics when you get your car back home. P.S. Does Jamie still have the 993ttS for sale? Did you have a look at that gem?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 496 Posts

I see from another post that you are still looking Overdraft...what was the deal breaker on the PPI?
Old 12-04-2011, 08:20 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Courtney probably will recommend skipping leakdown, I would not proceed without one.
Hey Danny. Courtney will do a leak down if his very expensive soft ware which apparently others don't spend $$$ on indicates it's required. I saw the scans on my PPI and there were multiple read outs on each cylinder. He says these low mileage cars rarely need a leak down..........however it's a lotta coin for the car and if a leak down makes a prospective purchaser feel better, then they should go for it. Me, I spent the money on replacing all fluids.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:57 PM
lopro
Banned

so what become of it? Did you find the car of your dreams or what?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

What is the latest news on the car search?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
I see from another post that you are still looking Overdraft...what was the deal breaker on the PPI?
Pretty small community here so I want to be very carefull about what I say about my deal - and the car itself.

Firstly...the car was/ is beautiful physically and did not disappoint that way. It ran very strong but there were some tangible/ intangible quality issues to it I simply didn't like. The PPI by Phaff demonstrated (I think) what was the root cause of those issues and that added up to a significant number to repair the car. It was all simple stuff technically - but significant $ number none the less. The vendor felt that given the price negotiated was off his 'ask', and that it is a fifteen year old car, that my expectation was unreasonable and that cost should be mine. I felt given the cost of the car (which was not insignificant) , this should be done within the agreed price....and quite franklly, I wouldn't have let it leave my shop without that work being done in the first place.

The car is expensive - but not perfect...at least to my standard according to the vendor. I liked driving my old 1995 993 with 127,000 miles equally (more actually). My point is that anyone who is buying a 993TT at this price point, is an educated buyer and that only perfect or next to perfect would satisfy them - and if it isn't there....bring it to that point then market the car at the price that works for everyone or whatever price the market will bare I guess.

The vendor was very professional about it - offered to pay for my PPI which I did not accept. I didn't even get to a leak down given the first phase of the PPI got me to this point...but as an asside, it ran so strong, I might have even opted out of the leak down.

The vendor will sell the car I am sure to someone educated to these machines yet would - I think at least - insist it be next to perfect. I only thought....the car should be fixed for the price we had agreed.

Classic car sale stuff. I continue to look.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:27 PM
lopro
Banned

oh that's too bad. I guess for a do it yourselfer or someone interested in spending the extra money it isnt too bad then. Some guys like getting into that kinda stuff, Oh well plenty of fish in the seas so to speak

Also im sure you will have this car as an option if nothing else comes along. So its not all that bad.

sorry to hear it didnt work out for you. GLWyourSearch.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
oh that's too bad. I guess for a do it yourselfer or someone interested in spending the extra money it isnt too bad then. Some guys like getting into that kinda stuff, Oh well plenty of fish in the seas so to speak

Also im sure you will have this car as an option if nothing else comes along. So its not all that bad.

sorry to hear it didnt work out for you. GLWyourSearch.
I am your classic do it yourselfer - even have my own hoist in my garage - but at that number, I had an expectation that I would be spending time (and no money) detailing the car - not bringing it to the standard I thought I had paid for I guess is my point in a nutshell.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:09 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Take your time when buying a 993TT. They're heavenly cars, but they can have very expensive repairs. It's very common for these cars to have valve guide wear which is hard to detect. On my car, it manifested itself as a ticking noise, almost like a lifter going bad. When I did research by calling race shops around North America, every shop said they had seen this before (even on the non-turbo cars) and the lowest mileage they had seen it on was 6k miles. The total repair was $12,500.

Good luck with your search. Please share pics when you get the car, I never tire of seeing a 993TT!
Old 12-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fc-racer
Take your time when buying a 993TT. They're heavenly cars, but they can have very expensive repairs. It's very common for these cars to have valve guide wear which is hard to detect. On my car, it manifested itself as a ticking noise, almost like a lifter going bad. When I did research by calling race shops around North America, every shop said they had seen this before (even on the non-turbo cars) and the lowest mileage they had seen it on was 6k miles. The total repair was $12,500.

Good luck with your search. Please share pics when you get the car, I never tire of seeing a 993TT!
Thanks FC - $ 12,500.00! Holy smokes...duly noted.

Now added "Canadian" to the WTB 993TT to my subject line.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:11 AM
lopro
Banned

oh, yeah i understand man. That sucks that it didnt work out for you. Its really too bad. I know what you mean about being a do it yourselfer but not wanting to spend the money to fix what you should be getting on original sale. I totaly agree. Dont worry man, It will come up and you'll be much more happy that you waited. It always works out that way. Good luck man. I hope you find better than you first wanted for a bit less.

Quick Reply: WTB 993 TT Prefer a Canadian Car