Notices

Gun Registry

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gun Registry

I think this will stir some good conversation... Tory government has put forth bill C-19 to do away with long gun registry.... also want to destroy all records collected so far.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Good. It is/was a total waste of money.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:57 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Dumbest thing ever. Good riddens.
They are still thinking of giving the records to the police. So now if they ever come to my house they will come in "guns a blazing" because I'm a hunter or collector?
I feel like more of a criminal than the punk with the 45!
Now you got me going .....
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

It's about time they got rid of this ineffective program and huge waste of money.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed ... the laws are tough enough ... this was just a knee jerk reaction to the Montreal shootings. The regestry would NOT have stopped it.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Let's look at the stats.

How many gun crimes are committed by licensed long or hand gun owners? Yes, there are domestic violence cases where a registered owner goes nuts. But compare that to gun crime committed with stolen or illegal guns (mostly of the hand variety as well).

The numbers aren't even close. Every gang-banger, drive-by, drug deal gone wrong is with an illegal or stolen firearm. This was a weak-kneed, let's placate the bleeding hearts/whiners attempt at "fixing" the gun problem. It's an expensive red herring.

Stop targeting those with legitimate reasons for owning a firearm (hunting, sport shooting etc) and target illegitimate firearms.

I don't even own a firearm but I abhor this type of namby-pamby government interference. Just like speed enforcement.

Climbing off my soapbox. Normal service returned.

Last edited by The Stig; 10-26-2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: corrected spelling due to frantic typing...
Old 10-26-2011, 02:30 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with all the above. LGR is a complete waste of money and ineffective at doing anything useful. I have a few friends who are cops and they've told me that when they get a call to go to a house, the address is automatically cross referenced with the registry.

If guns are supposed to be present, they exercise caution.
If no guns are supposed to be present, they still exercise caution because criminals don't register their guns.
No change in their approach.

The LGR is a complete waste of money, no matter what politics-driven people have to say.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:44 PM
lopro
Banned

guns should be banned - sorry to offend anyone by my post

Last edited by lopro; 10-26-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Kirk930
Instructor

The LGR has nothing to do with people hunting near your cottage.

Lopro, your entire post shows how little you really know about the issue and gun owners in general.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:58 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Plus 30-odd posts in and you're name calling already? Nice way to make an impression.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

wow i was just having a gun discusion Sunday night with an American in Starbucks , he says America works because you wont take out a gun if you think the other guy has one and will shoot back .. wow .. just wow .... cause people who are emotional and grab a gun often are this rational

okay back to your debate , for the record i think the registry was like flushing my money down the toilet..
Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The money has already been spent. Maintaining the registry is only about 10M per year. It is ridiculous to shut it down now. To erase all the information is criminal if a province wants to take it over. Quebec has shown interest in keeping their provincial data base and Ontario would most probably do the same. Most police depts want to keep it also.
I have never understood why people don't want to register their guns. We register everything else we own such as cars, houses, land,warranties etc.
This is about the city verses the country folk. The neanderthals against the progressives.
The Reform Party ideaology and the flat earth society will bring us more pollution, more jails,longer prison sentences and waste billions of tax dollars on failed concepts which even Texas has reversed course on due to the high cost and terrible results. Texas is now offering rehab at one tenth the cost with 70% better results for first time offenders in non violent crimes.
Intelligent govts do prevention(gun registry and more police) and rehabilatation for first time offenders and non violent crime. Harper is doing the opposite.

If some of you find this offensive ...it was meant to be.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Nothing wrong with prevention. But how about spending money on the right kind of prevention?

Let's equate it to cars. Instead of speed cameras and stunt driving charges (ask resident Zookie how bogus those charges can be), how about make it more difficult to get a driver's licence? Like in Germany. That's the right kind of prevention. Not cash and headline grabbing speeding stunt driving charges.

Maybe I'm missing something, but don't you still have to get a permit to purchase a firearm in this province? So aren't you defacto "registered" as a gun owner?

So what, some granddad, out in the bush has a 12 gauge on his farm from the '40s? Big deal. I'd rather spend $10MM extra a year on cancer research or better schools than this nonsense.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Stig
Maybe I'm missing something, but don't you still have to get a permit to purchase a firearm in this province? So aren't you defacto "registered" as a gun owner?
Yes. You can be a license holder and not own any firearms, but it's a safe assumption for the cops to make that a license holder at an address will have firearms around.

You need to pass written and practical tests involving the safety of all types of firearms (an extra set of tests are required for restricted firearms), have a criminal background check and further checks will be required if you've had mental "issues". Also, your spouse will need to sign the form and you'll need to have a couple people vouch for your character. You also get a phone interview (as will your vouching people, esp if you are applying for a restricted license).

Fact is, a person who has jumped through the hoops and successfully gets their firearm license is the kind of person the general public typically won't need to worry about.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:31 PM
Kirk930
Instructor

Petee, have you ever handled a firearm? Do you know any gun owners?

Live in Toronto?

And your analogy to registering your car doesn't quite work.....

If you own a car, it is registered and your driver's license expires, BUT you do not drive anywhere until you get it renewed. You've done nothing illegal.

If you own a gun, it is registered and your PAL expires. You are a criminal as you are now in the possession of a firearm without a license.

What would your reaction be if you let the sticker renewal lapse on your 997, and a tactical team showed up to repossess it?? AND, charge you with a criminal offense, face jail time, and a ban on ever owning a car again!

How about if the government decided that cars with more than x horsepower (or any other characteristic that they feel like focusing on) are considered dangerous to the public and had to be "turned in"?

The time and money should be spent on something other than persecuting people that have already jumped through MANY more hoops than most (during the licensing stage).

That licensed gun owner neighbour is likely much more stable and responsible than the average person.

Quick Reply: Gun Registry