Notices

Autocross tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
boxgal
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Autocross tips

For all your experienced autocrossers out there I'm looking for any advice you can share from tire pressure to tips on how to win in the novice class, first time out tomorrow and I am super excited
Old 10-08-2011, 12:33 PM
blur911
Advanced

Pressures will vary depending upon tires. Regular street tires should start in high 30psi range, perhaps 36 front, 38 rear cold. Decrease pressures back to this setting if they go up with heat after the ambient temperature goes up during the day or with competitive runs. You can also adjust to balance the car, decreasing pressure at the end that you want to stick more. IE, if understeering badly, lower the fronts.
"R" compound tires usually require less cold pressure.
Usual rookie mistakes are going too slowly in the fast sections and too fast in the slow sections. Hard to give specific pointers unless we know where you need improvements/advice.

BTW, being in Peterborough you are relatively close to my club's last slalom on the 16th, we're at Picton Airport. You are officially invited.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:05 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

I think you have the pressure recommendation backwards?
TIRE PRESSURE
Guide To High Performance Handling

Adjustments
Decrease Understeer Decrease Oversteer
Front Tire Pressure Higher Lower
Rear Tire Pressure Lower Higher
Front Tire Section Larger Smaller
Rear Tire Section Smaller Larger
Front Wheel Camber More Negative More Positive
Rear Wheel Camber More Positive More Negative
Front Wheel Toe Toward Toe-Out Toward Toe-In
Rear Wheel Toe Toward Toe-In Toward Toe-Out
Front Wheel Caster More Positive More Negative
Front Springs Soften Stiffen
Rear Springs Stiffen Soften
Front Anti-sway Bar Soften (Thinner) Stiffen (Thicken)
Rear Anti-sway Bar Stiffen (Thicker) Soften (Thinner)
Weight Distribution More Rearward More Forward
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Sorry. Can't get table to transfer properly. Anyway, to decrease understeer, increase front tire pressure or decrease rear tire pressure. I think I got this from the Tire rack site...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:53 PM
blur911
Advanced

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Sorry. Can't get table to transfer properly. Anyway, to decrease understeer, increase front tire pressure or decrease rear tire pressure. I think I got this from the Tire rack site...
Really I should have left it out as the "rules" are too general. Which end you decrease/increase pressure at to balance depends on many factors such as which end of the car is heavier, what tires, what nominal pressures, tire size, rain, etc.
Basically, if you go too high, you lose traction, if you go too low, you lose traction.

Setup and fine tuning of the car are very secondary at this point anyway. The best thing to do is work on the nut behind the wheel and learn to drive well. Get pointers and go for rides with experienced drivers. Don't develop bad habits and don't mess with the car unless you need to.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by blur911
Really I should have left it out as the "rules" are too general. Which end you decrease/increase pressure at to balance depends on many factors such as which end of the car is heavier, what tires, what nominal pressures, tire size, rain, etc.
Basically, if you go too high, you lose traction, if you go too low, you lose traction.

Setup and fine tuning of the car are very secondary at this point anyway. The best thing to do is work on the nut behind the wheel and learn to drive well. Get pointers and go for rides with experienced drivers. Don't develop bad habits and don't mess with the car unless you need to.
Absolutely but ya gotta start somehwere and these should get you going in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Autocross tips