Notices

Canada - Autoparts rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011 | 12:56 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

I ordered some brake and ignition parts yesterday from Autopartsway, and they're due to be delivered by UPS today. With free shipping. I find it hard to imagine better service than that, though they didn't have any distributor caps in stock.
Old 09-30-2011 | 01:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah i need a couple of gaskets for my audi if anyone is trying to bulk up their order for free shipping .
otherwise ill reuse the old ones .. i am NOT paying Audi 17 dollars each for a copper gasket .. i'l hammer out a penny first if i have to .
Old 09-30-2011 | 04:42 PM
petee_c
Drifting

my lower pcv hose isn't here probably Mon or Tues.... coming from Montreal.....

I'm going to have problems fitting my hockey bag (and stick) into the Boxster for Sunday morning hockey..... I'll have to talk to my agent about getting a bigger sports car for a signing bonus.....

P
Old 09-30-2011 | 05:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

skates gloves and a helmet .. anymore andits ***** hockey .. you sure you're a Canadian ?
Old 09-30-2011 | 06:04 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by theiceman
skates gloves and a helmet .. anymore andits ***** hockey .. you sure you're a Canadian ?
haha only half Canadian. (Born in NYC, moved to Canada when I was 3). Just started hockey this summer (Eric Calder's skills plus hockey school for adults), got in with another guy who also coaches his daughter's ringette.

The hockey is fast, (but I'm not), ...no the way those guys can shoot the puck, equipment is very necessary....

I get to touch the puck a few times a game, the other times, I'm just a moving pylon.

P
Old 09-30-2011 | 08:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by theiceman
My parents signed me up only for figure skating..........faaaaaaak mee!
Old 10-01-2011 | 11:13 AM
atr911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Sorry to ATR but if you take your car to CT you get what you deserve...period.
go to a qualified indy if you can't do it yourself. and do not buy brake parts especially calipers from CT. they are good for yard tools, oils, cleaners etc. but not important moving parts on your car.
Kinda of a gross over-generalization.

We're the largest auto parts and service supplier to the general public in the country. You get what you pay for. We have white box entry level products to be competitively priced but don't bitch when you buy the cheapest part and then complain about quality (Aside, this calliper wasn't a white box model, I just referring to the belief that all we sell is crap). I can get any and everything that the other guys get and probably cheaper. You'll NEVER get a hard time about warrantying parts (try and get money back from a jobber on a sensor or brake part) and we're open 7 days a week.

As for service, I can't vouch for everybody but, quite frankly, we're too busy to deal with poor mechanics and installers. If you think it's inconvenient for you to have to bring your car back because there's a problem consider what it's like to have to shuffle everything around, pay a mechanic to do the work again and most likely upset all the other customers because we can't meet deadlines due to re-work. The point is that I don't have patience to time to deal with either incompetent techs or poor quality parts.

Unfortunately, as I've said before, when you're the big guy on the block, people are gonna take pot shots at you. End result is that every year our parts and service businesses across the country is growing because "They get what they deserve... period." At the end of the day, I don't care what the name on the building says, I take my cars to PEOPLE I trust, not businesses.

You should see the hack jobs I see from 'qualified indys'. You should see the resumes I get from 'Technicians' who have worked in the trade for years at 'qualified indys' who can't sign safeties because they don't have a 310S license (i.e. backyard mechanic).
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:45 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I ordered some brake and ignition parts yesterday from Autopartsway, and they're due to be delivered by UPS today. With free shipping. I find it hard to imagine better service than that, though they didn't have any distributor caps in stock.
I could!

My friend ordered the pipe before the cat for his car. It arrived. It was the wrong pipe. Conveniently, it was removed from their web site days later. He sent it back...at his expense, a whopping $50. Great service!

On another note. I replaced the Watts link and both lateral links on a neighbour's PT Cruiser. OK, so I lowered myself for a couple of hours.

Three local parts suppliers (Benson, Napa and PartsSource) didn't have a clue what a Watts link was. Rock Auto did. They even sent the right parts.

Furthermore, parts prices for all three parts were...
Local Chrysler dealer: $370
Rock Auto: under $115

The jobber parts were by Mevotech out of Canada. Go figure.
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
Never bought used parts before...
Its not worth it when you can get OEM for 60% of new prices.

I get my Honda parts from a Honda dealer in the US. Price is 30% off their list prices which are far lower than ours to start with.

I bought a new B pipe for US$227 and since it could not be UPS shipped due to size, I bought it from the Honda dealer in NY state at full list...and gladly paid it; the local Honda dealer wanted CA$422.
Old 10-03-2011 | 09:57 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Its not worth it when you can get OEM for 60% of new prices.

I get my Honda parts from a Honda dealer in the US. Price is 30% off their list prices which are far lower than ours to start with.

I bought a new B pipe for US$227 and since it could not be UPS shipped due to size, I bought it from the Honda dealer in NY state at full list...and gladly paid it; the local Honda dealer wanted CA$422.
IXLR8,

Do you get them shippied to your house from your US source, or do you have to make a trip down to the border?

P
Old 10-03-2011 | 10:30 AM
Slippery slope
Intermediate

Not meant to be a general statement of CT, but I can certainly vouch for the professionalism of ATR911's shop.
Old 10-03-2011 | 12:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
IXLR8,

Do you get them shipped to your house from your US source, or do you have to make a trip down to the border?

P

P,

Rarely to my house and only if the order can be shipped by regular parcel post via USPS/Canada Post. I can't remember the last time I was even charged tax for smaller orders. There is a $5 handling fee (plus PST& HST on the order) that Canada Post charges if you have to pick up at your local post office, but most times it gets delivered right to my mailbox.

The vast majority of my orders are picked up at the UPS Store stateside, usually when I am down for a weekend away. In many cases, you save on the shipping because quite a few businesses have free shipping within the lower 48. Those savings alone pay for the gas as I usually have numerous orders to pick up.

Quick Reply: Canada - Autoparts rant