Notices

Retirement: When are u exitting the full-time rat race?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I think assuming Pcar owners have a lot of disposable income is a poor assumption.
Having said that, I'm planning on Freedom in the ground.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 AM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm retired now...took a few attempts.
#1 - 2007 - left a fun job after 33 years and immediately took a management position (at age 53). Was debt free.
#2 - 2010 - left another fun job (got to do some teaching and traveling). Wife said, "you know, you really don't have to work anymore". This was a new concept to me. Liked it. Retired, again.
#3 - 2011 - had one month off and was offered a Director position. What the hell, more fun for a while. Then my mother took ill and so did my mother-in-law...so retired, yet again.

Took me 3 attempts, but think I finally nailed it.

I'm busier now than when I was employed!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

I was real close at one point .. couple years away ... then life changed ... and the light just got moved a whole lot further down the tunnel.. sure hope its not a train ..
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was hoping for Freedom 35, but It's been 8 years and it still hasn't happened. I'm starting to loose hope.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:49 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Timely re-thread. I just yesterday decided to throw in the towel and embark on a new journey. I love the north and plan to move up there full time and construct a lodge built entirely from used car parts and duct tape.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:07 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 51 and have cut back my hours being self employed. I come into the office early and leave around 3pm everyday . I am lucky I am able to do this.
For 25 years I have positioned myself for this. I am financially able to retire, but that is because I have no debt, have accumulated income properties , maintained a self directed RRSP which returned about 9% per year( mortgages, not stocks) . Biggest factor for me was to payoff all debt and not try and live in the biggest house on the best street.
That said, I will keep working until I no longer enjoy what I am doing.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 220 Posts

I don't think I'd want to retire as I enjoy working but potentially consult or advise if possible however, I'm only 37 years old and still have many years ahead. My goal now isn't so much $ but finding a fun job that I can be passionate about.

I'm currently pursuing a company that will offer that "Fun" factor after having a great interview (friend who works for said company sent me her VP's correspondence pertaining to my interview and it was very very positive). Now its simply a timing issue...

For fun I've partnered with some friends on this venture www.sgbbikeweek.ca to help keep me entertained plus I'm 1-year away from completing my MBA.

Last edited by CamsPorsche; 11-08-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Removed comment
Old 11-08-2013, 11:42 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I was real close at one point .. couple years away ... then life changed ... and the light just got moved a whole lot further down the tunnel.. sure hope its not a train ..
Noooo...don't go into the light
Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I was going for freedom 25........ recently adjusted to freedom 26. It's good to have big goals

Honestly, not something I've thought a lot about except that I don't think I'll ever "retire" in the traditional sense. My idea of "retirement" is the point at which I've built enough personal wealth to pursue passion projects and self-funded business ventures. The sooner I get to do that the better, of course!
Old 11-08-2013, 04:30 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't retire mean when you buy a brand new set for your p-car? As in: "I drove so much on the track last year I had to retire. I am going to try a set of Toyos."

I have 3 kids, a stay at home wife, a house in downtown Toronto... retire? Pfffttt... not for a long, long time...
Old 11-08-2013, 04:34 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Doesn't retire mean when you buy a brand new set for your p-car? As in: "I drove so much on the track last year I had to retire. I am going to try a set of Toyos."

I have 3 kids, a stay at home wife, a house in downtown Toronto... retire? Pfffttt... not for a long, long time...
I hear those are expensive.....

... wife and kids, I mean.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:05 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 564 Likes on 335 Posts

thats exactly my goal at this point. be selective with the projects that i learn the most, have the most fun and have the most efficient $/time turnaround.

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I don't think I'd want to retire as I enjoy working but potentially consult or advise if possible however, I'm only 37 years old and still have many years ahead. My goal now isn't so much $ but finding a fun job that I can be passionate about.
9% consistently is amazing imo esp re long term; a part of me wishes i heard your wisdom re housing advice. you should write a book sir!

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
I am financially able to retire, but that is because I have no debt, have accumulated income properties , maintained a self directed RRSP which returned about 9% per year( mortgages, not stocks) . Biggest factor for me was to payoff all debt and not try and live in the biggest house on the best street.
That said, I will keep working until I no longer enjoy what I am doing.
semi-freedom 45 is the dream. still want to be young enough/healthy and have the energy to live and enjoy life without worrying about 'surviving'. i know a few horror stories passed down from my father where his colleagues would work till 65, and pass away from a heart attack 66
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Am 58 and have been retired for over a year and half ... I LOVE IT!!!! I can do what I want, when I want and I do the odd jobs when I feel like it. I get a pension from the Company for the rest of my life which is equal to what the average Canadian family earns in a year. The only deduction I have is income tax. No other deductions are taken from it. When I turn 65, I get a raise with the Gov pension kicking in. I may go back to work IF something interesting pops up ... I am a charter member of the KMA Club. My mortgage and a few other expenses will be gone within 2 years which gives me even more to live on. Life is very comfortable and am happy so far. I don't miss the early wake-ups, rush hour traffic, long hours at work, gas expenses, work expenses as well as the mileage piling up on the vehicles. If someone wants to meet me before 10 AM ... not going to happen ... I like sleeping in now!
Old 11-09-2013, 12:26 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am trying semi next year at 48. Don't have money saved, but I live very cheaply. I also love what I am doing so it makes it easy.... Will see what happens....
Old 11-09-2013, 01:14 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

57 yr and always busy doing what like . Some how a lot of my projects turned into good investments and that afforded me to doing my most passionate thing for the last 30 plus years which is palliative care and yes it is demanding but for me very fulfilling . My second passion of course is Porsche and open roads ( hence why I live on the west coast . BC , Washington , Oregon and Idaho ) Life can be good most of the time .

here is a video that one of the guy recorded of several of our 2013 summer porsche open road driving .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-tll...ature=youtu.be

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 11-09-2013 at 03:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Retirement: When are u exitting the full-time rat race?