Importing 997 and driving back to BC

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 AM
silverblade
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing 997 and driving back to BC

Guys
Looking at grabbing a 997 stateside and wondering about state sales tax if I decide to drive the car back. I know with my first import the dealer insisted on shipment to the boarder from Arizona as he did not want to be liable for the sales tax.

What have others experienced in different states as I would really like to find a car and fly down to see it in person ( and drive it back to BC ) rather than shipping it back.
Thanks
Jason
Old 08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imported 3 cars, one of them I drove from Jersey to Toronto. I gave the dealer a credit card deposit subject to a visual inspection prior to coming in. Once satisfied with what I've seen, I gave him a bank draft for the balance, he gave me the title, bill of sale (no state tax) and the keys. I put on a Canadian plate on the car and drove it home. Once in Canada, the customs won't let me drive it any further as the plate did not belong to the car, but that's another story.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suggest you look up "ucanimport.com" which has all the information and guide for bringing a car back from the US. I'm thinking that you buy in AZ but move the car on some form of temporary permits from AZ. You might also need same in OR and WA. I would be surprised if you could legally do the trick of putting existing plates from BC on the car for the transfer though.

I've heard there are also some brokers in Vancouver that will help you for a fee but don't know of any. You might contact Simon Gadban at Syam Motors though. I know he helped a friend of mine get a Maserati from AZ to Vancouver this past winter/spring.

John in Vancouver

Quick Reply: Importing 997 and driving back to BC