Notices

OT. The cost of things!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM
PG993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT. The cost of things!

I was going through ebay for some 993 items and noticed something very strange. It actually took me a while to come to terms with it because its just not normal for us Canadians. The item is irrelevant but look at the posted "Buy it now price" and chime in if you will.

PORSCHE 964 993 CENTRE CONSOLE STORAGE BIN GENUINE NEW

Buy it Now Price
US $37.50

C $36.00

Does it seem a bit surreal that the posted "Buy it now price" is lower in loonies. This isn't some deal on "elephant strength shower heads" off the back of a truck. Its the true cost advertised right there in front of us where everyone can see it. We've grown so accustom to posted higher costs in Canadian dollars for books, magazines, "records",CD, DVD, new cars, etc for a life time- and now its all upside down. What is the world coming to.
Paul
Old 08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Assuming this is item is not being mailed from Canuck soil, just wait until Canada Customs has their way with you when you have it shipped across the border to your house. It'll end up costing you 3x what you bought it for - handling fees, custom/taxes etc (ask me how I know)!
Old 08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Sultan
Assuming this is item is not being mailed from Canuck soil, just wait until Canada Customs has their way with you when you have it shipped across the border to your house. It'll end up costing you 3x what you bought it for - handling fees, custom/taxes etc (ask me how I know)!
That is why you have it sent USPS Ground Parcel. Canada Post charges a $5 fee.

Or you can always have it shipped to a UPS Store stateside if you live close enough.

As for taxes. you have to pay those either way. Might as well pay 13% tax on a lesser amount.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Nah, now I just have everything shipped to my sister's house stateside, there is always someone coming or going atleast 3 or 4 times a year. It only took 1 time for Canada Customs to have me drop my pants and bend over for them....not anymore.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 372 Posts

Paul,
this must be a canadian seller
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 PM
CdnRD
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have it shipped by USPS and you'll pay nothing in taxes/duties on a $36 item. I can't recall the last time I've had to pay taxes or duties on anything under $200. UPS is another story!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Burkey
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnRD
Have it shipped by USPS and you'll pay nothing in taxes/duties on a $36 item. I can't recall the last time I've had to pay taxes or duties on anything under $200. UPS is another story!
I have had a ton of merchandise shipped from the US in the last year including a expensive bar fridge, maybe 1 out of 10 times I am being charged. Not complaining, but it can't just be luck

Burkey
Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CdnRD
I've never been dinged for duty with USPS -even on expensive items. No HST either on stuff under $100. It's not worth the meagre savings to go to Buffalo for a pick-up. I had a big box of clutch parts shipped up from California USPS for $27. Just avoid the rip-off brokerage charges by not using UPS.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:28 PM
PG993
Instructor

You guys are all correct with your arguments on shipping. We've hashed that topic to death many a time before. But, thats not what i was getting to- as you all probably realise. I just wanted to coment on the oddity of having a lower CAD price than the US price for the same item.

Paul
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
DANdeMAN
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PG993
You guys are all correct with your arguments on shipping. We've hashed that topic to death many a time before. But, thats not what i was getting to- as you all probably realise. I just wanted to coment on the oddity of having a lower CAD price than the US price for the same item.

Paul
Yes I have noticed it... And I love it!
I buy a lot of stuff state side so this is a good time for me.

I did a UPS thread few years back... I hate them violently with all my tiger blood - "WINNING".

Quick Reply: OT. The cost of things!