Notices

Patric Long's line at Mosport (video)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:19 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patric Long's line at Mosport (video)

http://www.lizardms.com/index.htm

Notice the speeds at certain familiar sections of our home track. Wow! Love the way he transitions between 2nd and 3rd corners almost at the end of the vid.

Enjoy
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, thanks. It reminds me of the advice to apex late...as soon as possible!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks - that was just the kind of video I was looking for. Had a discussion with my dad over the weekend, who was saying he's got his lap times into the mid 1:30s. He was commenting how that's not too far off from pro times, considering he was in the low 1:40s last year. I said that next 10 seconds comes with a 7-figure price tag and requires a driver half his age. I don't think he believed me. I think he thinks that with a few more seasons of practice he can get down to those times, in a stock Z06 with a wing and Hoosiers. I'm concerned he's trying to drive beyond his abilities, which, as we all know, leads to intimate meetings with concrete, at Mosport.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I think he thinks that with a few more seasons of practice he can get down to those times, in a stock Z06 with a wing and Hoosiers. I'm concerned he's trying to drive beyond his abilities, which, as we all know, leads to intimate meetings with concrete, at Mosport.
Your exactly right Christien. After watching racers and lappers for 25 years around Mosport I can say there IS a finite speed in all of us. The trick is to figure out where that is. The only way one can go faster sometimes is moving up a class of car - where the car carries you quicker - not you carrying the car around Mosport.

I met a young kid a few years back who was running in F1200 - came straight out of karting where he was s**t hot and everyone told him that. He got into the 1200's and was fast out of the blocks. Tank slappers all over the place - no problem - keeps the boot in her and wins a few races in his first season. The following season he moves up to F1600 - half way through the season - same result. His thinking ran the lines of, 'Wow this is easy'.

I watched him lap after lap and one day turned to another worker and said I see a big tire wall in his future. One weekend after that he had convinced himself he could do corner 2 flat in I guess 4th and tried out his theroy. One little twitch half way down between the apex's was all it took and he was off across the grass into and over the 4 deep tires at 2A and upside down on the grass beside the marshals post.

He was shaken but not hurt and the car had four missing corners, bodywork in many pieces and chassis damage as the motor had broken away from the mounts. His Dad wasn't happy.

I think your Dad should be happy with his time and now work on seeing if he can produce the same time within 100's of a second for each and every lap as his next goal when he's out on the track. I would hate to see anything happen to him or his car.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Chris...I'm an old guy (as you know), and have adopted a friend's adage: "My fast laps are behind me, I'm working on maintenance."

I hope your dad doesn't push it. Let speed come. My other favourite adage: "If you want to go fast, don't hurry."
Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I think to a certain extent it's easier for me, because my car is so slow. There's no ego involved whatsoever - I get a trucker's tan at the track from all the point-bys I'm giving. So I have no choice but to work on one corner at a time, trying to improve my line through it. I'm also driving a 40-year-old car that I love almost as much as my kids, so there's a huge emotional factor involved. It can't be replaced like a modern corvette can be.

Of course, the speed issue will be improved a bit soon - I've got a 3.0 coming from Seattle next week...
Old 07-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

very cool
thanks Stan
Old 07-28-2011, 12:08 AM
PG993
Instructor

I'm not sure but I think I hit 5b apex close to Patrick's speed. Still got a bit of work to do on the other 9 corners but for now I'm going to the fridge for a beer to celebrate.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Get me one too, would you.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:23 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Not shown is his pit out, so I'll assume I'm faster than him there.

Thanks for posting!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Pat's a great guy - I talked to him Friday night for a few minutes. He has great eyesight... He's says to me, 'Corner 5C right?' Yup. He was frustrated with the power (lack of) and the ALMS rule makers. BMW got in there and went all politic's and got want they wanted and Porsche has sort of had to sit there and make little changes that takes weeks to get the OK out of ALMS to gain 1/10th of a second. BMW goes in and gets a weight reduction between events and goes 1 second faster. They are all looking forward to the new car and Porsche going P1 in the near future. He told me that Porsche won't be racing the 918 anytime soon - seems to have been a technology display promotion more then anything and Porsche will treat anyone racing the street ver the way they treat people racing Cayman's - as in NO development support.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Pat's a great guy - I talked to him Friday night for a few minutes. He has great eyesight... He's says to me, 'Corner 5C right?' Yup.
To have noticed you (and by that I mean, who you were, not the flag you were holding) in the tower while driving, he must be on a level so far advanced from mine that I can't even conceive of it. He's a good narrator, too.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by pontifex4
To have noticed you (and by that I mean, who you were, not the flag you were holding) in the tower while driving, he must be on a level so far advanced from mine that I can't even conceive of it. He's a good narrator, too.
Your right on that. But they are all like that. The difference between US and THEM.

I was at 2 on Sat and covering passing/slow cars coming out of cor 1 as well as pitout with my blue and as the ALMS 'all classes' practice was going on - the cars would come out of pitlane and hammer up to the end of the blend line where they can now cross over. All it took was me giving a nod of my head and they would slide over onto the line if I didn't have to display a blue.

Now some of these like the P1 Lola's were well over 200kph at the end of the pitout line and they can see a nod of the head? Yup. The drivers can always tell when we change blue flaggers as each person has a different style. Now we're all wearing white and pretty much all ball caps and these guys are going mega speeds... yet it just goes to show you how they do pay attention to everything going on around them. Then there are some people on the 401 going 110kph who can't tune a radio and look where they are going. Shows you the differences between peoples eyesight/thought processing abilities when you see the best drivers in the world (other then EJ Viso of the IRL or any Ferrari Challenge driver!) at the track and then the worst of the bunch while driving home!!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry to revive, but had to say thanks to Stan

And again great insights Worker
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM
mr_fizz
Instructor

surprised how tight the line is into and around 8. everything else looks good - early is fast.

Quick Reply: Patric Long's line at Mosport (video)