Notices

Deminished Value Claim

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Deminished Value Claim

As some of you may know i got Rear Ended in my Condo Garage just over a week ago. Now my car is at Pfaff and Insurance has taken care of everything, i dint pay anything. 8k's in Damage. Just a matter of time before i get my car back

But i just came across somthing that i never thought about, i was surfing 6speed and came across this thread http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-question.html

Now some members have suggested the OP to claim for Diminished Value of the car 10-20%. What are the chances of this in my Case? Shall i do it? How do i do it?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:44 PM
IHATECLAIMS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usually in USA

Hi Zookie,

I've been removed from the claims/insurance end for a little....but I believe Deminished Value has yet to catch on here in Canada...there are many pushing for it and the industry is preparing itself.

I remember reading memo's and top brass keeping an eye out for how these cases were unfolding in the US saying it was only a matter of time before it would affect claims process here in Ontario.

There is a group fighting for it here and it may only be a matter of time...as much as I agree with the idea I am afraid to think what our insurance premiums would be like.

I would dig in a little further but to date I do not belive any companies in Ontario have paid out on this (I may be incorrect)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I think CBC Marketplace or CTV W5 did a thing on diminshed value claims. IHATECLAIMS is right. It's not here (yet). You've fought da man before and won. I hope you get what you're owed.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

i wish it was here, because i got raped on my last car because of two accidents that were both were resolved as being 100% the other drivers' fault.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

We've discussed this here before - I've never heard of an insurance company in Ontario paying for diminished value, but I can't imagine it won't change sooner or later. As of Jan. 1 2010, any accident history, whether it's on the record or not, MUST be declared to a buyer by a dealer. Overnight, that dealer's inventory value went down by 20%. Not that dealers weren't declaring rebuilt cars, but minor things - a $1000 claim put through insurance for a pole scrape at a drive-through - now that has to be declared as an accident repair.

Guess what, 50% of used cars out there have some kind of blemish on their history. Are they worth anything less, in reality? Of course not, but a buyer always wants to find an angle to work a deal.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

how bad was the damage, cosmetic or structural. That really sucks, sorry to hear.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
i wish it was here, because i got raped on my last car because of two accidents that were both were resolved as being 100% the other drivers' fault.
X2 BIGTIME.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

There's the problem with cars like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus etc....it doesn't take much to get an $8k bill for a fairly minor cosmetic scrape.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Hyper911
how bad was the damage, cosmetic or structural. That really sucks, sorry to hear.
well i dont know how to put it. Does it look worse than it is... or Its worse than it looks... lol i dont really know.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:39 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Forget what the insurance companies want or do, it's a judge that will decide. Get a couple of appraisers to swear an affidavid re: the loss and go for it Zookie. If you do nothing, you'll get zip. Best of luck with this.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

I have heard of diminished value being paid in Canada.
who is your insurance company? they can be as different as McDonalds and North 44!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I have heard of diminished value being paid in Canada.
who is your insurance company? they can be as different as McDonalds and North 44!
RBC is my Insurer... how do i go about this?
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I can see insurance companies would want to fight this, but as the eventual seller of a car with a carproof stain, you will suffer a very real loss of value.

Good luck.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a case in the BC Supreme Court about a year ago around a dimished value claim relating to a Mercedes SL 65. In this case an Airport Valet parking driver "joy-rided" the Mercedes and damaged it severely. The claim was successful (or at least partly). This diminished value issue has been dealt with out here (BC) many times and I understand is often succesful.

You have to sue the other driver as they and their insurance are the ones responsible.

I'll try and find the case.

John in Vancouver
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, found the case.

Do a search with Google on BC Supreme Courts. There you will find the ability to do a case search.

The Case is "Signorello v. Khan" and the case number is 2010 BCSC 1448. The judge awarded $16,000 for accelerated depreciation and also a small amount for loss of use (it was a leased vehicle). The case sets out all of the depreciated value issue pretty well.

I found the case by just searching in the site "Mercedes Benz" then going down the cases.

Hope this helps.

John in Vancouver

Quick Reply: Deminished Value Claim