Notices

UCR website suspended

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
So you think there is enough money for a professional webmaster? I don't know of any car club that pays a webmaster. Some have great volunteers that make very good sites but that's mostly luck.
Thats why you Outsource to the US, they will work for anything these days

Is there a website listing Rennlist trackdays?
Right here, do you really need a website for a website?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Kye Wankum
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UCR Volunteers

Hey Everyone, just read this thread with some interest. It prompted me to want to clear up a couple of misconceptions. All of UCR's work is done by volunteers; in fact, there is a soft mandate in place that all of UCR's events and services (for lack of a better word, but meaning the website and the newsletter) are to be break-even endeavors. The current webmaster, Otto Mittelstaedt, took over that position about three years ago and spent roughly 2000 hours of his own volunteer time to create the website that happened to be down for about 12 hours yesterday. Otto should be commended for his enthusiasm for the marque and for the club and for having spent that many hours on creating a new site based on what Peter Carroll, UCR webmaster for ten years prior, had created at his own expense and on his own time before then. The fact is that, Otto, as a volunteer. spends countless hours each and every month to keep this website current. Whether you like its appearance or not is a totally separate matter; the truth is, it works, it's easy to navigate, and it serves the purpose very well. Yesterday's down-time was due to nothing but a technical glitch caused by a change of ownership of the Canadian entity that was hosting UCR's website.
As a long-standing member of UCR (22 years), but more so, as huge enthusiast of the marque (with 13 Porsches and counting), I want to urge you to stop always trying to find the bad in the Porsche Club. We are all just Porsche enthusiasts and we should all just revel in the enjoyment of owning and driving and racing those cars. And, who knows, maybe some things have actually changed since you last checked out UCR. Cheers, Kye.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zookie
Right here, do you really need a website for a website?
So where is the list of days? How far in advance do you post those days?

Track time takes some planning for most participants. Many people who can afford to own Porsches have jobs and wifes and all that comes with it.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Each of the groups has its own organization and purpose, and all are volunteer driven. We are all Porsche enthusiasts and it is not too productive to jump on every glitch that happens. Probably better to enjoy the summer and follow our respective preferences that to get into pointless bunfests. I have participated in events for both groups, and like most people , have specific things I like and others that are of no interest to me.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"can't we all just get along?"
-rodney king
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,109 Likes on 793 Posts

Amaist i think you are missing our point , although my earlier comments were somewhat tongue in cheek. We do have a working model . We have a very successfull web based forum that adds to our contingent weekly, we generate anywhere from 20 - 40 cars per WEEK. at our get together . We have a VERY successfull Rennlist track day program that draws people from everywhere. A lot of us including myself are PCA members.

All i am suggesting is that Rennlist could part of the UCR or Rennsport Website. why not work together than try to compete. John D has done an outstanding Job building this forum and this is a perfect example where it puts the PCA forums to shame .. so why not just direct people here as we have new member sign up for PCA at our suggestion if they are looking for things we cant offer
Old 07-08-2011, 01:05 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My hat's off to both Rennsport and UCR web masters. It's no small task to build and maintain such sites. It takes a huge amount of effort to constantly update and monitor them, and all for our benefit.

Let's appreciate the time they devote, eh?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
"can't we all just get along?"
-rodney king
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I posted this thread not to be critical of UCR, but because my website went down this week as well because I screwed up. it was more of a haha than anything else.
I don't understand why we would complain or compare. Live and let live ......
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
My hat's off to both Rennsport and UCR web masters. It's no small task to build and maintain such sites. It takes a huge amount of effort to constantly update and monitor them, and all for our benefit.

Let's appreciate the time they devote, eh?
Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I posted this thread not to be critical of UCR, but because my website went down this week as well because I screwed up. it was more of a haha than anything else.
I don't understand why we would complain or compare. Live and let live ......
+1: Managing a web site is frustrating and thankless. Imagine doing it for free.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:44 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
Amaist i think you are missing our point , although my earlier comments were somewhat tongue in cheek. We do have a working model . We have a very successfull web based forum that adds to our contingent weekly, we generate anywhere from 20 - 40 cars per WEEK. at our get together . We have a VERY successfull Rennlist track day program that draws people from everywhere. A lot of us including myself are PCA members.

All i am suggesting is that Rennlist could part of the UCR or Rennsport Website. why not work together than try to compete. John D has done an outstanding Job building this forum and this is a perfect example where it puts the PCA forums to shame .. so why not just direct people here as we have new member sign up for PCA at our suggestion if they are looking for things we cant offer
It's wonderful that you get a good social thing going and kudos on the trackdays. There is no such thing as too many track events and I hope all the good ones get their share of participants.

Very often it's hard to get the intent and tone of forum posts.
I agree there shouldn't be competition. Track days and DEs complement each other. I don't want beginners at open track days but I also like DEs where people can learn to drive and the atmosphere is very social.

BTW Rennlist is essentially part of Rennsport Region website. RSR did away with having a forum on their site and members are encouraged to mingle here and especially in the Rennsport subforum. Maybe they can have a more prominent link on the main site but that's not for me to decide.
Otherwise RSR has a very informative website. It lists all you need to know about their events including dates, rules, how to sign up, etc.

So when is the next Rennlist track day? Search found nothing.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:50 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's because it has not been announced officially yet, but it will be on September 22 at Mosport. I hope that you can make it
Check-out the thread for our last DE (yes, we have instructors too) in June (comments from the participants are on the last page): https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-june-2-a.html
Old 07-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

22nd Sept i think.

Here is the Thread for the June 2nd Lapping & DE Event https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-june-2-a.html

Here was also a Female Driver, she was lapping people... lols

Picture Thread https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...t-lap-day.html

Video Thread https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ne-2-11-a.html

Not taking credit for this but i belive this is our 4th year of organizing these Rennlist Canada Track Event @ Mosport

Last edited by Zookie; 07-08-2011 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: UCR website suspended