Notices

Mosport SOLD!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

The upgrades will be done with one view in mind.. new races series to be attracted to Mosport. I'll give you a hint: what series does Ron like to race in at the Glen...
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mdex
Wrong kind of developer guys... Orlando is a commercial developer, not houses and condos.
I don't forsee any factories being built on that property, do you?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
mdex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
I don't forsee any factories being built on that property, do you?
No... I am assuming that its a personal "investment" for fun. Other then as a track there isn't much development potential there at all.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
garages would be nice
Garages would be GREAT.....
Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdex
No... I am assuming that its a personal "investment" for fun. Other then as a track there isn't much development potential there at all.
So where is the upside to this investment. Clearly the facility needs
upgrading in order to bring it to a level to attract more series to Mosport.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
does this mean Mosport is going to have a Night Club like the F1 Track in Abu Dhabi?
Wel??? maybe strippers to? Me and Eshel would give them alot of business
Old 06-01-2011, 07:00 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zookie
Wel??? maybe strippers to? Me and Eshel would give them alot of business
"Stay Thirsty My Friend"
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 PM
mdex
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboS
So where is the upside to this investment. Clearly the facility needs
upgrading in order to bring it to a level to attract more series to Mosport.
That's why I put investment in quotes. Carlo can afford to drop the money if it suits him. I am thinking this may be along the same lines as the owner at Tremblant. If you break even having fun, or just lose a tolerable amount and want to do it why not?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:09 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 305 Likes on 203 Posts

Don't most investors hope to make a return on their investment, particularly improvements?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:11 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Don't most investors hope to make a return on their investment, particularly improvements?
Exactly. I'm sure that Ron has some "skin" in the game, and he's going to want to see a return on that investment.
And If you are partnering with a Developer, chances are we will most likely see some Development at Mosport, commercial or otherwise.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, this is great. I move to Toronto to be closer to Mosport and now it is going to become a country club?
I surely hope not.

+1 on raises for the marshals

Last edited by smsarchitects; 06-02-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I didn't see any indication from the press release that it will become a country club.

I sure hope it won't. If the facility is good there are plenty of ways to attract revenue.

They do have pro level races there. That can be profitable with the right facilities. Track rental business would improve with better facilities. It's not just clubs like PCA or BMW that will want to rent. Car manufacturers love to do product launches at race tracks. Racing schools like Skip Barber rent tracks for blocks of 1 or 2 weeks. If the place gets upgraded those customers are going to come.

But they need to fix the surface and make some safety improvements without killing the character of the dangerous corners.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by smsarchitects
Oh, this is great. I move to Toronto to be closer to Mosport and now it is going to become a country club?
I surely hope not.

+1 on raises for the marshals
Thanks for the 'raise' idea but we do it for fun - not money - at least not me anyway. The only money made is on lapping days and I lose too much money if I work them. $60 bucks per day (avg) buys me a couple of Starbucks and some gas and a hotdog or two. I get my kicks diving out of the way of Heilo as he hit my wall and tried to kill me last year at station 2C at the Honda Indy. Damn dancers....

As far as 'country club'. I can't speak for the other two in this group but at least with Ron - he has told a few people already privately that they are not in this to turn it into a Monticello or a Miller motorsports park or build gated communities! Both of his partners are racing enthusiasts from what I have heard, one of them is a VARAC member I believe and the other took racing lessions from Ron.

We have heard that it is situation normal 'for now' from Myles - so I take that to believe nothing happens until the end of the racing season. But all bets are off after the season is over as I can see them rolling in the equipment and trashing the Castrol tower for one thing. Yes it would be sad - but really - it's a dump. The medical facilities in the first floor are small and outdated and quite frankly - an embarrasment. There is NO room for the press. We also need the helo pad (if you call open grass a pad!) moved from above the start finish to a spot that people can be easily transfered to from the medical center.

I have a whole list of improvements - but I don't have control over their accounts!
Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM
mdex
Racer

I had tried to convey that this was a group of enthusiasts, with very very deep pockets but it seems that I didn't do a good job.

There may be a risk that they will take the track private, or make too expensive to run an event there, but there is no real danger that they are looking to convert it to homes or commercial uses. Even if they wanted to the zoning and environmental protections on the property preclude any use on the site other then the existing one that is grandfathered in.

I expect that we will see new buildings, new paving, and other improvements needed to attract events, but otherwise things to be left alone.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

WOW!

Quick Reply: Mosport SOLD!!