Notices

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, but he agrees it was fine when he picked it up. What more does he want. Think that a dealership would warranty a worn clutch...?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

what a dweeb for even complaining after 2500 km. and what if something else goes how long is he going to keep calling you. I assume he is an adult but does not act like a man. did he do ppi? attitudes of some people these days make me sick.
curious how many hours it takes to change the clutch on one of these.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FFaust
Yeah, but he agrees it was fine when he picked it up. What more does he want. Think that a dealership would warranty a worn clutch...?
He is saying that I sold him the car with a clutch that was about to go. Not a car with a shoddy clutch, but one that was about to go.

He did not have a PPI done, but the clutch was fine until 4 days and well over 2000km after he bought it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:45 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

How the hell does anyone know when a clutch is about to go. What does that even mean really.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I have no idea either.

I can see a miss shift in his future, followed by a spun bearing, followed by call saying that I sold him an engine that was about to go too.

Watch out for that pothole! The rim was about to bend as well!

Im just joking and Im quite upset about the situation, and I sent him a clutch that should work well with minimal costs, but now he is saying that his technician is saying that nobody could destroy a clutch in 2500 km unless they were dumping it the whole time. That's completely false.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Banker, obviously your intentions are good and you sold in good faith. But really, YOU can't cover every possible eventuality.

And even if you did sell a car with a clutch that was about to go, how could you know? The request is unreasonable, **** happens.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one could accept responsibility for a fried clutch or compensate the buyer. It would be like an admission of guilt. I know how you maintain your cars Dave. That one was stored at an NSX factory tech's place and serviced before it came out this spring. If there was anything wrong he would have caught it and fixed it. The buyer got an amazing deal even if he factors in the clutch.

He really needs to learn how to drive a manual properly though or he will be buying another clutch soon.

Now go take your money and buy a Porsche and post pics before we ban you!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by puma
And how would you adjust a clutch?
By turning a nut, if it is a mechanical linkage.
If hydraulic, it would self adjust.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 PM
puma
Racer

Originally Posted by irobertson
By turning a nut, if it is a mechanical linkage.
If hydraulic, it would self adjust.
Damn, i didn't even know there was still some mechanical linkage clutches around...
Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Do nothing. I had an a$$hole like this with my last car I sold. I sould have done nothing as it had nothing to do with me but the more I tried to help him the more he wanted. By shipping him, probably on your own dine, the old clutch is more than you should have done. It's a very nice gesture and the new owner should be thankfull. But he probalby never be.

If none of you did anything unusuall and the clutch still failed, it's the manufacturers fault. Wish him luck and tell him to go after them.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by puma
Damn, i didn't even know there was still some mechanical linkage clutches around...
I will be extremly suprised if a mid engine Honda has a cable clutch.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You're not a manufacturer or a dealer, you do not need to accept any contact from the buyer. Block his number and set his email address to spam. If he wants a warranty he should buy a new car. Even then he would have trouble getting a clutch warrantied, that's a wear item.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming the purchaser knew how to drive a stick, I think you've been very reasonable especially shipping out the stock unit. If they didn't, usual rule of thumb is the education costs one clutch job.......two if the student is a little slow on the uptake...
The "tech" is a jackwagon for suggesting you can't cook a clutch in 2,500 miles. I've seen it done in far less.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

I spun a bearing in my highly modded race prepped engine. 2500km on the new engine. i guess I should have gone after the builder?! oh did I mention that it spun due to lack of oil in a high G turn causing the oil to slosh too much and starve the bearing for a split second? (on a sanctioned track event)
Guy must have been stunt driving. Not hard to cook a clutch. One drag race and slip the clutch hard at WOT. DONE.
You've done more than enough. Its too bad if he can't accept it. If you can't afford to fix it, then you can't afford to own one.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

I don't think that he was doing anything crazy, but based upon his consistent reports of burning smell (he didn't know it was the clutch!), I have to believe that he has been slipping it all day long.

He says that he's been driving manuals for 12yrs including 2 S2000s and he has never had a problem (which I believe). But there's a big difference between a stock S2000 clutch and a high performance clutch. The burning should have been his first clue.

Still feel bad for the guy because he is a nice guy and he just dropped a large sum of money for his dream car, and it now could have a problem in the first days of ownership.

Self induced, but a problem nonetheless.

Quick Reply: What would you do?