Notices

OT-Cutting a new garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jwortley
My contractor indicated the cuts would go about 1.5" deep.
Sawcuts about 1/3 of overall slab thickness will be good enough to induce any potential cracking within the sawcut area.

You're good.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 AM
jwortley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob D..
A slab about 20' square will almost certainly crack as the concrete sets.
The saw cut controls where it will crack, and the saw cuts can easily be filled with a variety of compounds, and finished.
I'd do the saw cuts.
It is a good idea to keep the surface moist for a few days - concrete doesn't dry, it cues, and the curing action is impeded if it gets dry. Likely it won't be a big effect but there is a risk that the surface will not be as durable as it would otherwise.
Just mist it with a hose.
Bob D... Thx for the feedback. I went ahead and got it cut. Any recommendations on the fill compounds you eluded to? I asked my contractor and his position was he is not an expert so he didn't want to do it. I would rather not leave the cuts open for long as I know crap will collect in them.

Next step is removal of the drywall to ensure there is no latent mold. While I am at it, I will be putting in some in wall speakers and running cable
Old 04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jwortley
Bob D... Thx for the feedback. I went ahead and got it cut. Any recommendations on the fill compounds you eluded to? I asked my contractor and his position was he is not an expert so he didn't want to do it. I would rather not leave the cuts open for long as I know crap will collect in them.

Next step is removal of the drywall to ensure there is no latent mold. While I am at it, I will be putting in some in wall speakers and running cable
Here are some possibilities;
http://can.sika.com/en/solutions_pro...2a008sa52.html
You may be inclined to use a harder polyurea compound.

Word of advice... the later you fill the joints, the better. The notion that concrete is fully cured within 28 days is a fallacy. Try to wait several months maybe (up to 4) before filling.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My slab, poured last year, is 11.5 x 27 and has one cut across at the half way point.
Based on your dimensions, I can see why your contractor is suggesting two cuts.
It's gonna crack. You may as well manage the crack by cutting as opposed to having it crack wherever it feels like.

I used foam backing rod to fill the cut to about 1/4" below the surface, then filled it in with concrete caulking, which I smoothed off with a wet finger. Once it cured, I sliced the extra off with a razor blade.
What I have left is a slight depression in the cut that is nice and easy to sweep up.

Quick Reply: OT-Cutting a new garage floor