Notices

RIV Requirement – Clarification help….

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
CS-Eng
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIV Requirement – Clarification help….

2008 AND 2009 TETHER ANCHORAGES: All 911 non-Cabriolet models are equipped with tether anchorages to accept the tether belt. However, the anchorage is covered by a carpet and not visible. The carpet must be cut away to reach the anchorage. The covering also does not have the required new labels.

Thinking of importing a 2009 911 coupe. I just have question about the last sentence in the paragraph. What labels are they referring to? Does that mean that I need to place a label on top of the carpet to show where the anchorage is located?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Never done an 09 myself, so can't help, but drop by your nearest Canadian Tire, go to the automotive desk and ask for the RIV inspector, and ask him. Chances are they'll just ignore it.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
mjh1
Instructor

I just imported a 99 Cab, and the RIV inspector I talked to was OK with me just taping the Canadian labels needed for him to pass the car, Purchased the labels at a Chry dealer for $12.00 each, was no big deal, as Christen said go in and ask, I would tell him the anchor is there but you really don't want to cut the carpet.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

All I had to do when I imported my car was the the part from Canadian Tire and have it available when it went through the inspection. Right now it's sitting in my glove box.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:46 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

all depends on the inspector. My 2007 was suppose to have the carpet cut away for the TETHER ANCHORs, but they never asked about it. I think Canadian Tire will sell you the Tether Anchors (basically a bolt with a bracket).

As for the airbag stickers, I had printed a set off from someone who had taken a picture of one and printed it on those sticky labels. Never actually put them on, but left them on the front seat for the inspection. PM if you want the location of the Canadian Tire I used. I also had them do the Safety and emissions test while I was there. If the car is AWD, just make sure they know about it and watch while they do it.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

from my experience the inspectors don't care about child seat anchors nor stickers (both can be purchased at cdn tire)
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonKM
all depends on the inspector. My 2007 was suppose to have the carpet cut away for the TETHER ANCHORs, but they never asked about it. I think Canadian Tire will sell you the Tether Anchors (basically a bolt with a bracket).

As for the airbag stickers, I had printed a set off from someone who had taken a picture of one and printed it on those sticky labels. Never actually put them on, but left them on the front seat for the inspection. PM if you want the location of the Canadian Tire I used. I also had them do the Safety and emissions test while I was there. If the car is AWD, just make sure they know about it and watch while they do it.
I purchased the airbag stickers from Chrysler for $17.00. They are the only dealership that seels them seperate from the sunvisor.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What they said. I wouldn't let any of this interfere with importing the car. There are really NO modifications required. Have the servicing dealer in the US activate the DRLs and have them print off the paperwork that says there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle.

When you get your form 1 and 2, head into CT and have the inspect the vehicle. TECHNICALLY the tether is supposed to be installed or made available for use (in this case, remove carpeting). Most shops will not insist on this, no different than the air bag stickers. Also, TECHNICALLY, all you need to do is use post it notes with the correct information on it and that will qualify you to pass the RIV inspection. (I.E. Mileage is in MILES or translation of the information on the airbag sticker to french.)

Quick Reply: RIV Requirement – Clarification help….