Notices

importing 25 yr old car

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:11 PM
duncan1437
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I plan on driving it back, owner offered to lend me the plates. he said they do that in Virginia for 30 days. any opinions?
1. a 25 year old car is exempt from the 6.1% duty. the exemption is tariff item 9966.00.00, and here's the related Memorandum D10-15-20:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...0-doc-eng.html

make sure to tell the canada customs agent when you're bringing the car into canada. they charged me the 6.1% duty, and when i later found out they were wrong, i applied for a $1000 refund which i just got in the mail about a month ago.

2. if you're driving back, arrange car insurance and get proof of insurance in case you're pulled over for any reason

3. in my experience the US border guards can be pretty intimidating, so try to cover all the technicalities. in my case, they almost denied the car because my 1981 euro VIN number didn't have the normal number of digits.

4. i got a temporary 30 day license plate from pennsylvania when i bought my car and drove it back to canada. the vendor and me drove to the local Motor Vehicles Office in his home town and bought it . this also proves you have title to the car. (i don't know if the virginia 30 day rule would allow you to drive back with the virginia plates....see #3 above).

5. once the car is in canada, it just needs the usual safety check to get the ontario plates.

6. i'm not sure how the new HST works. i paid GST and a/c tax at the border, and PST when i got the ontario plates. (i also had to pay the 6.1% customs duty at the border which was subsequently refunded.)

good luck!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

thanks Duncan you just saved me 6.1%...there are advantages to a 25 year old car! also no emissions test!
Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, I'll be damned. I guess you really do learn something new every day! Thanks Duncan!
Old 03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

What they said.....when I imported Ruby, I beat the 25 year mark by a month, and didn't have to pay 6.1%.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM
guy_geo
Rennlist Member

Do they need the original title or a photocopy is ok for them?
They also need the bill of sale too no?

So basically, you have to plan to do this at the beginning of the week, having the title Fedexed to the border on Thursday???
Fly on Saturday
Drive Sunday to Tuesday.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:53 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Danny, if you gonna need a drive to Buffalo, let me know.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Danny, if you gonna need a drive to Buffalo, let me know.
thanks Stan, I may do that
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 AM
KillPhil
Instructor

Default Been There - Done That!

Hey Dan, check out the latter part of the story i wrote in Provinz in the March 2010 issue. it's about bringing a car over and has all the information and contact numbers in case the rules have changed.

I don't know how to break up the pdf but here's the cover shot of the magazine you're looking for and if you can't find the hardcopy somewhere you can always check the Provinz archives on the UCR website:

Old 03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
redcarman
Instructor

I imported 2 Porsches over the past 3 years. I bought one in Rhode Island that I drove across at the Queenston/Lewiston Bridge and one in Michigan that I drove across at Detroit/Windsor. All you need to do is fax a copy of the title to the bridge crossing you will be driving across more than 72 hours in advance of crossing. Just be aware that only selected border crossing offer car importing services. Q/L is only open during conventional buisiness hours. Detroit is open 24/7.

Make sure you understand how vehicle licensing works in each state. Fore example, some states don't title cars after 10 years (no Title, no Export) and RI doesn't issue temp plates for private vehicle purchases (only for dealer sales).

Also, expect to be grilled by Canada Customs if your declared purchase price is lower than Canadian market value. I stuck to my guns on the price of my 951 Turbo and they made me wait almost 1 hour before finally deciding to let me go. I drove the car across with the owner's plates and my own insurance which I arranged beforehand.

Good luck with the purchase and enjoy the drive back to Canada.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Redcarman; the car is coming from Virginia. what do you mean some provinces don't title cars after 10 years? also doesn't us border need copy of bill of sale as well?

Quick Reply: importing 25 yr old car