and now the red tape !

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default and now the red tape !

HI Guy's

First off I'm not going to hold anyone accountable or sue ya ? Im form the UK right

Just in case things dont work I dont wanna be wasting my time either, so from what I can see, with what I'm going to do, unless someone moans we should be ok.. of course it depends if I start trying to write things of for tax

Soooooooooo

I want to start (officially) my own buisiness from home, I want to do this properly, so I can claim all sorts of goodies if everything works and also I dont wannt get the pants sued of me or thrown into jail for not paying taxes etc.

Now, The buisiness is simple is mobile Disc Jock. I'm going to be using the basement to store and maybe build a studio.

Whats not going to happen is

1> loads of noise, loads of people clients coming to and for, no additional parking, lorries, vans,

only me and missus operating this,

So going through a checklist and came across this thing called Zoning , and my head has now turned bright purple.

I've cut and paste a few things below.
And yes I can ring the guys at city hall, but can anyone tell me if this is just very basic and nothing to be worried about, also in the middle of writing a buisiness plan, got 2 tax seminars to go to, already done the how to set up your small business thing..

Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Ward: 6
Legal Description: PL 43M1558, PT L 65 - PT 2 43R28572
Area: SM
Depth: M
Frontage: M
Common Name:
Property Code: SEMI-DETACH RES USE (TRUE SEMI / SNGL SEMI-LINKS) Status: Registered

By-law In Force

Zone Master Bylaw Enacting Bylaw OMB Case No. Status
RM2-26 0225-2007 BL-0225/07 N/A IN FORCE

ALSO SAYS

I am starting a business in Mississauga, do I need any permits?

Answer
All non-residential uses in Mississauga require the approval of a Zoning Certificate (Certificate of Occupancy) prior to commencement of business operations as per subsection 1.1.13 of By-law 225-2007, as amended. It is recommended you confirm that your proposed use is permitted by the Zoning By-law prior to purchasing a property or signing a lease
Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I operate a small business and did it in Mississauga for 16 years and didn't need a license. I doubt you will need a business licence but go to the mississauga web and click licensing tab. It will give categories that require a license. As far as starting a business go to the Ontario web site and follow the steps there, it will ask you to register a name but to do that you need to do an on-line name search. It's easy and all in the same place. After that pay the fee and your registered and you'll get the all important B.I.N. That number and your registration allows you to set up a current account at a bank. Thats basically it. Please PM if you'd like.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

HI Jim,

cheers for the reply,

I think that licensing is different from zoning.
Because I'm changing the use of the house from a residential dwelling to a place of buisness (albeit away from home and some stuff stored in the basement) especially as I want to be writing off my basement as its part of the buisiness

anywhoo

Originally Posted by jim 7
I operate a small business and did it in Mississauga for 16 years and didn't need a license. I doubt you will need a business licence but go to the mississauga web and click licensing tab. It will give categories that require a license. As far as starting a business go to the Ontario web site and follow the steps there, it will ask you to register a name but to do that you need to do an on-line name search. It's easy and all in the same place. After that pay the fee and your registered and you'll get the all important B.I.N. That number and your registration allows you to set up a current account at a bank. Thats basically it. Please PM if you'd like.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Thats going to a whole lot of effort for nothing. As long as you don't have people coming to your home for massages, haircuts or for tanning you are quite within the scope of zoning to operate a home business. You are also permitted to deduct the apportioned cost of the expenses of the home provided the area is dedicated solely toward the business. Getting a zoning change means the application has to go to 'The committee of adjustment' by the time that gets to them you'll probably be bored with the house and moved on to other digs.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

wasnt has hard as I thought, spoke to Missi. zonning and they gave me the by law showing the excemption of the by law, so I'm ok.

Actually quite helpfull and surprising
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

oops sorry didnt see your replty before I posted

Ade

Originally Posted by jim 7
Thats going to a whole lot of effort for nothing. As long as you don't have people coming to your home for massages, haircuts or for tanning you are quite within the scope of zoning to operate a home business. You are also permitted to deduct the apportioned cost of the expenses of the home provided the area is dedicated solely toward the business. Getting a zoning change means the application has to go to 'The committee of adjustment' by the time that gets to them you'll probably be bored with the house and moved on to other digs.

Quick Reply: and now the red tape !