Notices

Shipping car from Europe to Canada by sea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 02:46 PM
hotshu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping car from Europe to Canada by sea?

Want to ship a 15+ year old euro car to Vancouver, Canada. Buy it in Europe, tour around there with it for a month or 2, then ship it. I've imported 2 newer german cars from the USA to Canada before, so I know the RIV routine.

I also recall reading somewhere there is no duty 6.1% charged on cars 15 years or older?

Do I ship by sea to the Canadian East Coast & rail by land to Vancouver or are there ships sailing from Europe to Vancouver via the Panama canal? Any good agents or shipping companies to get quotes? Approximate costs involved? Slow & affordable is fine.

Are roll on & roll off ships fairly safe to transport a non concours car? If it's good enough for new car manufacturers I 'm guessing it's fine. If it was a Porsche 959 I'd probably choose a container instead.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wallenius Wilhelmsen is running a Ro-Ro service twice a month from Europe to the West Coast (loading in Bremerhaven or Zeebruge) to Tacoma, WA via Manzanillo. Probably cheaper than container mode but some aggravation to look forward going through a US port. I do not know of a regular Ro-Ro service straight into Vancouver.
Your best bet would be to load the car into a 20' container and send to Montreal then rail to Vanvouver (faster) or straight to Vancouver port (cheaper but slower). For a 20' container, factor about $4,000.00 to $6,000.00 depending on the route after all is said and done.

Quick Reply: Shipping car from Europe to Canada by sea?