Notices

Porshce mechanics in Toronto area

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
JoeFerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Furtmair Auto Service in Kitchener?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious when you recommend a particular mechanic shop...is that based on your experience with other shops before concluding? I had mine serviced in a few before making my decision.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by rideau
EU Autowerks
I need to vent a little on this one.
The previous owner of my M3 took it to Autowerks. The longer I own the car the more shabby workmanship I find. Last week I find out they used regular green ant-freeze when they gave it a flush.
Sorry, had to tell .....
Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I can only provide my personal experiences.
I first started using EU in 2005 for my "01 996. I met Courtney at a Dexter event and asked him to test my car as a local dealer told me that I required a new clutch. His answer was no and I started taking my car there. Clutch is still good 5 seasons later.
The other local dealer, after several hundred dollars in diagnostic costs, said I needed a new wiring part as my brake light was on. This recommended repair was going to be approx $1000. The EU diagnosis? Brakepad warning sensors tied back for approx $50...problem solved.

My car is picked up and delivered to me, parts purchased in the US are installed cheerfully, modifications have been done that are suitable to my use and driving style and all work has been to my complete satisfaction. I have also experienced their concern for my wallet with alternate parts suggested (Porsche MAF manufactured by Bosch vs Bosch MAF...same part, approx $250 less).
I also have work performed by Markus Blaszak (Kingston area) and am equally pleased with his service.

I am sure that there are other good independent shops but I have no need to shop around at present. I suspect the presence of an involved expert owner with a committment to our marque helps a great deal with customer satisfaction.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:48 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used Hunter for parts. He has some of the hard to find parts for older 911's.
I've been to Best Line a couple of times. They do the support for Sixth Gear track days.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
Just curious when you recommend a particular mechanic shop...is that based on your experience with other shops before concluding? I had mine serviced in a few before making my decision.
Good question. Here in London, I had disastrous experiences with the two local shops that claimed expertise, but were sadly lacking, IMO. So, I trek to Toronto for service. Started with BRG, and followed the BRG guys to Bestline. I find them honest, competent, knowledgeable, and rely primarily on them. I have also used G Tek and EU, liked them both, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of them. I have also found Jay Lloyd @ Lloyd's Autosport to be helpful, though I haven't had as much experience with his facility, but some pretty knowledgeable folks have, and have been very pleased.

So, if you don't live in London (not referring to the new dealership here, with which I have had no experience), you have lots to choose from, I think.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
redcarman
Instructor

I service both of my Porsches at Hunter Motorsports near Dundas and Dixie in Mississauga. Brent Hunter knows his stuff and is a really nice guy. I haven't tried anybody else because I have had absolutely no reason to.

Brent, this one is for you:
Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM
ssflai
4th Gear

Thank you very much for all the feedback. how come there are no words on the two authorized Porshce dealers in Toronto DFC and Pfaff ?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ssflai
Thank you very much for all the feedback. how come there are no words on the two authorized Porshce dealers in Toronto DFC and Pfaff ?
LOL...PLENTY of words about them...a quick search will be your friend on the issue. Pfaff treated me like **** but Khalil and Drew at DFC always treat me well, as does Peter in Parts.

Others i'm sure have had the inverse experience.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:15 AM
eatonio
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Henry Costa has been good to me: 416-248-9777. I think his shop is called Refined Motors or something like that...
I've also gone to Henry Costa a couple times, he's located on Evans Ave in South Etobicoke. I've only ever gone to him for very basic things like oil changes, but the experience has been good.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ssflai
I don't think anyone would say they do bad work. Only thing I would complain about is that they replaced my spark plugs but failed to see that the coils were rusted and cracked. They rely to much on computer scans to find problems rather then common sense. This caused me a few months later to have a complete failure on a few cylinders and cost me a new set of plugs work/time and another trip to the dealer.
Also had warranty work done and my cats replaced. Guess what they put back on the rusted out clamps and they rattle their *** off. You would think they would replace them as well since they look to be like they are one time use clamps, I had to go out and buy new clamps at $40/per clamp.

They have great mechanics, but they usually don't work on the easy things. They have very full schedules and I have gotten the shaft a few times from them not being able to get my car in that day and having to overnight it. That after dropping it off at opening and having it scheduled weeks in advance.

The last time I went in there to fix my a/c line that got pinched underneath from a bad winter road. They were perfect. Did it on time and even came out costing less then they quoted.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by eatonio
I've also gone to Henry Costa a couple times, he's located on Evans Ave in South Etobicoke. I've only ever gone to him for very basic things like oil changes, but the experience has been good.
He replaced the clutch master cylinder on mine as well as oil changes. Pretty basic I guess. Seemed reasonable but what isn't compared to the stealership?

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't think anyone would say they do bad work. Only thing I would complain about is that they replaced my spark plugs but failed to see that the coils were rusted and cracked. They rely to much on computer scans to find problems rather then common sense. This caused me a few months later to have a complete failure on a few cylinders and cost me a new set of plugs work/time and another trip to the dealer.
Also had warranty work done and my cats replaced. Guess what they put back on the rusted out clamps and they rattle their *** off. You would think they would replace them as well since they look to be like they are one time use clamps, I had to go out and buy new clamps at $40/per clamp.

They have great mechanics, but they usually don't work on the easy things. They have very full schedules and I have gotten the shaft a few times from them not being able to get my car in that day and having to overnight it. That after dropping it off at opening and having it scheduled weeks in advance.

The last time I went in there to fix my a/c line that got pinched underneath from a bad winter road. They were perfect. Did it on time and even came out costing less then they quoted.
Sometimes I get the sense that mechanics (trades in general) are reluctant to make pro-active recommendations. I don't know whether it's because they don't want to take on the responsibility or simply don't feel it's their place. I'd prefer it, however, as it would be a huge help considering I don't know anything about assessing the mechanical condition of a car.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
Sometimes I get the sense that mechanics (trades in general) are reluctant to make pro-active recommendations. I don't know whether it's because they don't want to take on the responsibility or simply don't feel it's their place. I'd prefer it, however, as it would be a huge help considering I don't know anything about assessing the mechanical condition of a car.
They should have at least made a recommendation, phoned me up and asked what I wanted to do, which they didn't which means the person failed to see what was in front of them or doesn't have experience to know any better. I'd hate to say they probably sent in the car wash kid to do it.

Closed shops where you can't see the work being done is something I don't like. I'd rather a guy have my car up on a lift and point it out to me. I think independent mechanics do this more and they work on older cars, when you tell them there is a ticking sound they try to find it the old way, not plug in a computer take it for a test drive and say there is nothing wrong.
For newer cars the dealer is fine, it's plug and play components. I guess the name stealer comes up. I think really becuase they are priced higher and the book hours they use for a job leaves a lot of time to do other jobs and part prices are double but I don't find independents much cheaper in that department that's why I source out they parts my self as much as I can.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Jewelz
Intermediate

I drive a Mini not a Porsche but I get serviced at SportsCar Boutique in Thornhill.
When I'm there they primarily have Porsche's so I can only suggest based on my car experience. They were fair with my oil change...50% less then the dealer.

Consumers tend to "not" lean towards dealers because they bend you over a little too much and unless you've been to jail, I don't think you'd like that.

Good luck finding a place which fulfills your vehicle requirements.

Jewelz
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 PM
MatteBlack 930T
1st Gear

Eu autowerks are good but in my experince very slow like (5months to put on piston rings and do a engine tune slow) and never have a legitement reason as to why the 1 month procedure is taking as long as it is, but everyone at eu are friendly and proffesional for the most part, Mantis is garbage and completly rude, n they are by far the worst porsche tuners I have ever encountered and hunter is a complete thief, these are just my experinces so im sorry if i have offened anyone just want all my friends here that drive a Porsche to becareful where they go.....

Quick Reply: Porshce mechanics in Toronto area