Notices

OT - New garage floor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 PM
jwortley
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT - New garage floor

So, my 7 year old house has a sinking garage floor. I had an home inspector in last summer as I was getting some mold and on the wall which is a result of the floor pulling away from the wall and the moisture in the ground evaporating. I

have had a bunch of quotes and it looks like $4,500 - $5,500. So funds that would have turned into a set of HRE P40's for the 997 now will simply result in some flat evened color concrete.

Since I am into this for about $5K I am wondering if there is anything else I should consider doing to it while I am at it? I was thinking about colouring it, or perhaps even getting it stamped. This time I may even pin it to the foundation walls so the damn thing wont sink again.

You guys have any other idea's?
Old 01-28-2011, 12:31 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm anticipating building a new garage/shop in the future and have been looking at floor treatments. So far the most knowledgeable people I have talked to have recommended adding colorant to the concrete and having the floor sealed and polished. Apparently this is more durable than epoxy coatings and easy to maintain.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 AM
arjag
Instructor

Check out The Garage Journal (www.garagejournal.com) specifically the flooring forum. Like Leigh, if I were doing this I would go with a stain/sealant and not worry about chipping, peeling, staining. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing to consider is would you like a hoist in there eventually? If so prepare the floor now. ie type and thickness of the concrete. It would be minimal effort at this point.

I have had good success with some of the epoxy coatings, but if I was redoing the floor completely, I would have it coloured instead. I would also advise against "stamping" as a smooth floor surface is much easier to keep clean.
Simple epoxy floor. Now one year old, and has withstood oil and brakefluid spills, and dragging my floor jack and jackstands with no ill effects.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:51 AM
mjh1
Instructor

What about radiant in floor heating?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Ed, can I ask what you paid for your floor treament?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do NOT get it stamped. My driveway is stamped concrete, It looks absolutley beautiful. However, any spill of water on the floor and it turns into an ice rink. Especially with slush coming off your car in the winter time. You are asking for an accident waiting to happen.

If you do decide to go stamped, please make sure they put sand in the sealer as to provide some sort of grip.

Jeff
Old 01-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

The other thing I would consider a must is to slant the floor towards a drain...except the area a hoist might go. Makes it a cinch to hose down and keep clean especially in winter.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

bury a loonie in the center
how about put some lights in the floor (maybe under the car)
Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbodan
how about put some lights in the floor (maybe under the car)
I thought that was what neon under car lighting was for?!

Torontoworker: Ed, can I ask what you paid for your floor treament?
Different kits are available at most hardware type stores.
Approx $100.00/kit 1kit per single car garage. (mine was just a bit over 2 kits so I bought 3 and had some left over.
Another $20-$50 for cleaning supplies/rollers etc.

Don't park a car on it too soon. 3-4 days, or you risk some delamination when hot tires are rolled on to it. (I learned the hard way on my first garage.)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

a pit?

although they may be against code
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 AM
hopeforcash
Instructor

An idea I had was if I could lower the floor of my garage by about 1 foot or two so I can fit a four post lift and put two cars in with ample clearance. I'm guessing I would have to re-grade my driveway as well. Does anyone know if this can be done at a reasonable cost and will it affect the structure of the house?
Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 AM
spcamno
Intermediate

X2 on Epoxy floor.

I did mine few years ago (learn from garage journal forum) my next door neighbour like it so much and I ended up give him a hand and did his as well.

This is my garage looks like:

Old 01-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The floor look great... come on over and help me with mine
Old 01-29-2011, 02:17 AM
spcamno
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
The floor look great... come on over and help me with mine
Sure, not a problem.

If you are seriously consider doing it I can explain little more when I come back (leaving tomorrow for a week to Bahamas with the wife and kid).

I have done three and mine was the first one but after that I have done one more for my next door neighbour then my in-law said "if you can help George out why can't you do ours?"

That's how the problem starts

But seriously, I priced the cost to have someone do a basic one color for my two car garage was around $2k but I did my in grey base with color chips and clear top coat for under $800.

If you don't mind driving there is an ebay seller in Detroit area selling epoxy for cheap.

I use Devoe Coating's stuff (industrial grade solvent base) not the off the shelf product from Homedepot or Rona.

Quick Reply: OT - New garage floor