Notices

Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Supply and demand. How many 996s are there out there?
Certainly more than there are 993's, but not nearly as many as there are 997's. Just wait until the 991 comes out and you will see another readjustment of values as the 997 gen takes a hit...it's just part of the natural order of things.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
In August I got a 2010 F150 SCREW
Would you say you got screwed? Sorry, couldn't resist

Back in August, that same truck with under 10,000 km on it would have retailed for over $35k. If you paid 42.5 tax in, that's 37.6 before tax. Nobody's going to pay 35 for used when new is only 2.5 more.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Certainly more than there are 993's, but not nearly as many as there are 997's. Just wait until the 991 comes out and you will see another readjustment of values as the 997 gen takes a hit...it's just part of the natural order of things.
Makes ya wish you woulda bought a 993 back in the late 90s, doesn't it? Pretty much the only modern car under 100k that I can think of that can be looked at as an investment. Of course, hindsight, and all that...
Old 01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onami
Amen! Last year I read the book The Millionaire Next Door and buying slightly used was one of the golden rules...
Excellent book. Everyone should read it twice.

Originally Posted by PbPedis
Depreciation is the story of my life. After taking a huge hit on my 997 C2S and 997 Turbo, both of which were bought new, I've decided never to buy a brand new high end car again. Let someone else take the hit, then buy it from someone like me who gets bored of cars and flips them on a regular basis.
Well I hope someone else paid the depreciation on your new ride at least.

I enjoyed this thread from a comiserating point of view. I bought my GT3 as the 3rd owner with 12,000km on it. The first two owners took a hit of about $40k on it. It was so nice of them to pay for my discount.
On the other hand, I leased my BMW with the intent of buying it out at the end of the lease. The financing just made sense as you're only charged tax on the monthly payment on a lease, and now that I've bought it out I've got a great car for the next 5 years or so.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Sorry, wrong words used there. Disappointing??
I was just giving you a hard time
Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Amen! Last year I read the book The Millionaire Next Door and buying slightly used was one of the golden rules...
You can also buy this book 'used' to save even more money while your buying a used car to save money!

The Millionaire Next Door (Paperback)
by Thomas J. Stanley (Author), William D. Danko (Author)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‹ Return to product information
Always pay through Amazon.ca's Shopping Cart or 1-Click.
Learn more about Safe Online Shopping and our safe buying guarantee.
Price at a Glance
List Price: CDN$ 16.50
Used: from CDN$ 0.01

CDN$ 0.01
+ CDN$ 6.49shipping Used - Good Seller: Blue_Cloud_Books
Seller Rating:90% positive over the past 12 months. (559 total ratings)
In Stock. Ships from AZ, United States.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 295 Likes on 197 Posts

Makes ya wish you woulda bought a 993 back in the late 90s, doesn't it? Pretty much the only modern car under 100k that I can think of that can be looked at as an investment. Of course, hindsight, and all that...
I'm not so sure it's too late but nobody knows. Buy relatively rare air cooler in great shape and pick up an immediate gain as the recovery sinks in and maybe some more over the next decade. At worst I figure this is a good way to minimize depreciation on a toy that doesn't get that much use...
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you say you got screwed? Sorry, couldn't resist

Back in August, that same truck with under 10,000 km on it would have retailed for over $35k. If you paid 42.5 tax in, that's 37.6 before tax. Nobody's going to pay 35 for used when new is only 2.5 more.
Yup ... complete with a 5 years covers all factory warranty to boot. It's great to visit showrooms when it's a "nice to buy" VS "Must Buy". I was not really interested, just went to look at the hoopla. They spent two days working on me before I said yes. Hell ... there was $13,500 off the price BEFORE I walked in the door. The rest came off to sign the deal on Sunday August 29th. They gave me close to new on the 2008 Edge trade-in as It was in great shape with the additional factory warranty. The General Manager was a bit pissed with me to say the least!!! (Erinwood Ford). I like this truck a lot. Does exactly what I wanted it for and in the snow it's solid in 4 x 4 mode!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

No not really. I don't view cars as investments since even when they go up in value, the rate of return is pretty poor compared to other investments options available. Only very, very rare automobiles qualify and that is still a speculative gamble at best.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO, one of the main reasons people buy new cars is because they can get financing on them easily - with used cars, generally you need to get a personal credit line, and not everyone has good credit. I don't need credit and thus I don't intend to ever buy new. The online ads are flooded with almost new cars for substantially less.

I have a buddy who just bought a brand new 997 C4S for about $145k here in Calgary; but I think he bought it for status and not for the love of Zuffenhausen - he didn't even know that the car has a flat 6; he sincerely thought it had a V8 until I told him. Guys like this shouldn't be allowed to buy a Porsche! However, our best revenge is that the car will lose about $50k depreciation in its first year! I don't think he even knows about the 991 yet, either.

Sucker.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by spender
I have a buddy who just bought a brand new 997 C4S for about $145k here in Calgary; but I think he bought it for status and not for the love of Zuffenhausen - he didn't even know that the car has a flat 6; he sincerely thought it had a V8 until I told him. Guys like this shouldn't be allowed to buy a Porsche! However, our best revenge is that the car will lose about $50k depreciation in its first year! I don't think he even knows about the 991 yet, either.

Sucker.
Love them or hate them, these people have kept Porsche in business for decades. Really, us enthusiasts could never keep them afloat.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love them or hate them, these people have kept Porsche in business for decades. Really, us enthusiasts could never keep them afloat.
I agree completely, I have owned 5 Porsches since 1996, and not one of them was new.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

especially you, you cheap bastard .. oh wait .. something about a pot and a kettle
Old 01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

What depreciation? I don't really understand what you mean. j/k I can sell mine for what I paid for it at anytime.

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I'm not so sure it's too late but nobody knows. Buy relatively rare air cooler in great shape and pick up an immediate gain as the recovery sinks in and maybe some more over the next decade. At worst I figure this is a good way to minimize depreciation on a toy that doesn't get that much use...
+1
Buy an older Porsche for $X, drive, enjoy and fix, drive, enjoy and fix, drive, enjoy and fix, X years later, sell it for the same as what you paid for it. Ever hear the saying (with regards to older Porsches) that you either pay $20k upfront, or spend it later in repairs, either way, you end up with the same car.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:02 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

The depreciation on newer cars these days is certainly shocking . My AMG Merc that i payed 125,000 for i traded in 2 days later cause I found it handled like a pig , wasn't nearly as nimble as my Porsche and i needed the room in my garage . Can you believe the ****** would only give me 50% of what I payed ? It did give me room in my garage for the Porsche though ..

We are taking about need for speed carbon right ?

Quick Reply: Depreciation