Notices

Why aren't you driving your cars this winter!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Too cold for the tires for me. ( I drive the Cayenne but that hardly counts
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

That's what Bimmers are for
Old 01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drove mine on the 30th. (haven't had time to Rennsurf since then)
I washed it in the driveway on New Years Day, just to get rid of any salt that might have sprayed up from a few damp spots.

My concern with salt is never the body, it's always the moving parts and the effect it has on the appearance of the brake discs. So it was nice to get the hose out and spray all over the place with an extra day to dry in the garage. It didn't drop below freezing until later on the 2nd here.

btw, my insurance broker lets me put coverage on for an afternoon, a few times per winter. All I do is drive it up and down the parkway a few times near my house so I know I won't hit any salt puddles.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,127 Likes on 807 Posts

okay one day break is over .. a foot of snow or so outside ... which i think its about .5" of precipitation .
Old 01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Took the insurance off of my box S at the end of November.

22x46' skating rink with the kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsqS...layer_embedded

- snowmobile, although the trails around here are still closed. My wife's cousin lent me a trailer this year, so at least I'm not stranded. I live where (in the past) I've been able to snowmobile from my driveway to the OFSC trails, which are about 10 houses away.

- The roads I drive usually have snow on them. I go from Woolwich Township to Stratford M-F.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:59 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
What happened?

PS I was out today, great drive!
Long and sordid tale of woe. I documented it here. I'll post an update to this thread once I figure it out.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...e-machine.html

I picked up a winter/back up car while I try my hand at wrenching. For 3 years the 911 has been my only car and DD. Its a nice change to not "have to" take the car to the shop to get things fixed. I spent all day like Richard Hammond - in the engine compartment, feet dangling off the ground. Good times.

Cliff
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Lucy goes driving every day.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 85 Posts

Mine is all in pieces now, getting some winter maintenance. In a few weeks maybe a test drive.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
samajam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Receiver
Lucy goes driving every day.
I was out yesterday, almost got caught out with hard tires when a car in front slammed on the brakes....however it did make for some interesting 4 wheel drifting in a nearby vacant industrial parking lot.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw a weirdo on the 401 on Xmas eve in a burgandy mustang convertable...with the top down..wearing a tuque! Almost made me think of taking mine out for a spin (minus the top down part)

I still have recurring nightmares of my Datsun's rusting all winter (pre electro coating rust protection) Same reason I never wash them with water. Old Datsun's rust just thinking of water in all the little nooks and crannies!

I will never drive mine in the winter. I don't wash it with water either. It is sitting very comfortably in my garage nice and dry. Even my rotors don't have a speck of rust on the surface! That is why it is still looking pretty good at 25yrs old this year!

I will leave winter for my fearless winterbeater road warrior. I'm insured, and the car is worthless, I have nothing to lose!

Cheers guys! If I had a spare P car, I just might drive one daily.
Scott.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:05 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

Insurance is off for winter but I'm going onto "classic" as soon as she qualifies so I can drive it whenever it's dry and salt free. I've been taking the Z, which has high rust bucket potential, for dry winter drives for 34 years with no problems........except rock salt which does more damage than a 9mm round when spun up at ya!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My car was stored in winter by prior 2 owners- and I keep up the tradition. I live in Barrie Ont--we have had 5 ft of snow up until a couple of days ago (when it rained nonstop 48 hours)--and we STILL have 1-2 feet of snow on the ground! We have salt on the road from November to April--and I believe that no matter how much you wash it, the car will always get some salt into those hard-to wash areas if you drive it up in my area. Believe me, we get FAR more snow and thus FAR more salt than most places--there's a reason why our area is called the "snowbelt" and why we have all of the ski hills!! Plus, for resale value (if I sell in a few years) it is much better to sell it as "never winter driven". I wouldn't buy a Porsche (or Ferrari or Lotus or whatever...) if it was winter driven for the fear of unseeable salt corrosion. Some guy up here has a Lambo Gallardo that he drives in the winter. Nice car--but I wouldn't buy his car from him without a substantial discount if he sold it. Mine is tucked away until April. But I sure do miss her!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:04 AM
chandrew
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I nearly purchased a c4s 996 for the winter but got my 06s instead.
It is stored. Same for my c2. Too many pot holes in Mtl. My cayenne already has a stone chip in the windshield from the salt trucks..

I think highway driving a pcar in Mtl is ok.. Downtown streets are loaded with potholes..

We pulled out a Subaru outback from a ditch yesterday.. The owner could not believe the power and smoothness of the cayenne.. Low gear and nokian Hakka studded tires.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 277 Likes on 186 Posts

However I never use a cover so I can admire her suptuous curves when i go out to clean the mouse traps or get a fireplace log.....
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
However I never use a cover so I can admire her suptuous curves when i go out to clean the mouse traps or get a fireplace log.....
Gotta have a cover man. More anticipation when you take it off to admire as you deal with the Mickeys.

Quick Reply: Why aren't you driving your cars this winter!?!