Notices

Who produces the best luxury mid-sized suv?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 01:31 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

No. Low range refers to the fact it has a transfer case offering a low range (usually about 2.7 :1 ratio) that is used in off-roading, in extreme conditions (mud,sand, deep snow) or when pulling something really heavy at low speed (ie boat up a ramp, stump out of the ground); it gives you extra torque multiplication through that extra gear set and allows you to "lock" your centre diff in a 50/50 split front/rear to put all the power to the ground evenly for max traction. It's a true 4x4 vs an AWD. It has some advantages (off roading) and disadvantages (extra weight and complexity of a transfer case). If you never intend to do serious offroading or heavy towing, you don't need it; 95 % of people who have vehicles with low ranges, never use the feature.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A firend of mine who used to be the Porsche dealer in Vancouver put the Toureg/Cayenne this way:
"A Cayenne is an expensive Toureg"
Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pongobaz
It's a true 4x4 vs an AWD. It has some advantages (off roading) and disadvantages (extra weight and complexity of a transfer case). If you never intend to do serious offroading or heavy towing, you don't need it; 95 % of people who have vehicles with low ranges, never use the feature.
I use the low range in my 5.9L Durango often... but then again I find myself in farm fields and snowbanks more than a few times a year, and pull the race car(s) in all types of weather.

My personal opinion is that I would not buy an SUV without low range, but I think my usage is not typical. I prefer SUVs that are trucks, not cars. Full frame chassis for me please...

I live in an area with street parking, and I usually spend one or two evenings/weekends a year helping to pull friends and nieghbours out from the snowbanks. The street parking is havoc in heavy snow falls... The great thing is with low range and a 5.9L I just usually hook up the car, and put the truck in neutral and it drags the car out without trouble...
Old 01-02-2011, 05:00 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
I use the low range in my 5.9L Durango often... but then again I find myself in farm fields and snowbanks more than a few times a year, and pull the race car(s) in all types of weather.

My personal opinion is that I would not buy an SUV without low range, but I think my usage is not typical. I prefer SUVs that are trucks, not cars. Full frame chassis for me please...

I live in an area with street parking, and I usually spend one or two evenings/weekends a year helping to pull friends and nieghbours out from the snowbanks. The street parking is havoc in heavy snow falls... The great thing is with low range and a 5.9L I just usually hook up the car, and put the truck in neutral and it drags the car out without trouble...
Your usage is not typical nowadays and you certainly know how to get your money's worth out of that system. I use to do training for Jeep and instruct off-roading and even back in the day, only about 5% of Jeep owners actually knew what 4LO was or used it.
It's a great feature if you use it, but with modern electronics and on-demand AWD, most people will never miss it; Porsche figured that out with the new Cayenne.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always appreciate your thorough responses, Phil. Thanks again. I'll let you all know how the shopping goes.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I know a few people with Q5s who love them. One of my clients just ordered a fully optioned S-line and got an amazing deal @ Queensway Audi. PM me if you want me to connect you with his sales guy.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
PPo
Drifting

I use to do training for Jeep and instruct off-roading and even back in the day, only about 5% of Jeep owners actually knew what 4LO was or used it.
Awesome. When (and if) I have the time... I would certainly build a rock crawler/off-roader type 4x4... somewhere in between getting back into rally racing and actually getting my Porsche onto a track again!!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PPo
Awesome. When (and if) I have the time... I would certainly build a rock crawler/off-roader type 4x4... somewhere in between getting back into rally racing and actually getting my Porsche onto a track again!!
You should try the Rubicon Trail in the US. We had 50 VIPs from Daimler and Chrysler attend a team building event in 1999 after the "merger of equals" ; 15 miles of trail takes 2 days to complete. It's a ton of fun.
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

The Cayenne is certainly looking more affordable now.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Regarding the Infiniti FX series... the previous model was much better looking. The new one looks like a good looking woman with too much jewelry and makeup.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeBat
Regarding the Infiniti FX series... the previous model was much better looking. The new one looks like a good looking woman with too much jewelry and makeup.
Looks are always a subjective opinion; take a look at the debates between which gen of 911 is the best looking! however the objective opinion is that the powertrain, chassis, technology and comfort and convenience improvements are light years ahead of the last generation.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Great electronic sync features available on the 2011 MKX or MKT. Excellent fuel economy, and a nice turbocharged v6 or available hybrid. Made in Ontario too! The 11's are much nicer than the 2010's.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:35 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Looks are always a subjective opinion; take a look at the debates between which gen of 911 is the best looking! however the objective opinion is that the powertrain, chassis, technology and comfort and convenience improvements are light years ahead of the last generation.
well, looks are subjective but.... then again, purity of line and amount of brightwork can barely be considered subjective. I am sure I could learn to like the new gen FX, but... the previous version was instantly a personal fave.

No arguement whatsoever on powertrain, chassis, technology and comfort and convenience improvements.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

It seems to me that the electronic in the new FX could certainly take some getting used to and for a senior it might be a little over the top and that is the only flaw possibly worth consideration.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR8ED
Great electronic sync features available on the 2011 MKX or MKT. Excellent fuel economy, and a nice turbocharged v6 or available hybrid. Made in Ontario too! The 11's are much nicer than the 2010's.
I'm one of the managers at a Lincoln dealer in Vancouver and we continue to be amazed at how much foreign iron is being traded in for the 2011 MKX, Lincoln has hit a home run on this unit. The problem now is getting inventory, there isn't one on the ground in BC that isn't sold. Same story with the 2011 Edge.

Bob

Quick Reply: Who produces the best luxury mid-sized suv?