Notices

Who produces the best luxury mid-sized suv?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
PorscheOnut - Yes I wondered about the Q5. No one has said anything about it yet? Is that significant?
To be honest I haven't driven one, but have heard good things about them. I think the only way to decide on a vehicle is to drive the various models, I guess you are in the process of narrowing the list down before heading out to the dealership? I'll be very interested in hearing what you think about them!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I Love the FX Series SUV. The most fun to drive. The front profile looks like Milhouse from the Simpsons. A very distinctive styling. They come with useless trunks though.

Don't forget to Google the reliability of the vehicle.....

Oh ..... What's that you found? The RX is the winner by far. I thought so.

The RX is a bit boring especially when runs off 87 octane, it doesn't guzzle 19 l/klm around town, it doesn't get your hear racing every time you floor it or bring it in for service. Lexus has the word" Comfort "mastered. The Interior is also more luxurious then the other SUVs that try to be sport cars.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:42 AM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Thanks!

Yup the P-car crest has more brand value, but it's still a significant price spread between a fully loaded, every option possible FX50 S ($74,770 incl Freight PDI) and a similarly equipped Cayenne V6 ($93,580 incl Freight PDI). I really did a lot of soul searching on that one in the summer, but $20K is $20K (actually more like $35K with the FX35). If the delta hadn't been that significant, I would have gone for the Cayenne V6. But I'd rather have the extra cash for the next Porsche track car.
Yup we've all got choices to make although I don't think she's looking to put the extra$ towards a track car

I remember seeing a thread with all the options you can add to a new 997 worth the price of the car!!!! CRAZY.
That said, I think I would skip some of the options like adaptive cruise, alluminium look roof rails etc.

I don't know what the "comfort plus package" entails but at 13K I'd rather have the P. badge without it than have a Lexus or Infinity with all the bells and whistles... however the FX 50 is a beautiful machine, I just love Porsche obsessively
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

The comments you guys have are what makes this a great forum. I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, I do wonder how the Porsche stacks up when compared to the FX50. I am getting closer to the point of heading out to the dealerships. In the case of the Q5, the smaller size would not be a concern. I will be keeping you all posted as I start to get more familiar with SUVs.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
patchmark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '07 Q7 4.2 and I like the size and the power...but that's me . If you go with the Q7 only get the 8 cyl as the 6cyl does not have enough power to haul the big body around nicely.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

If anything I think I would have to consider the Q5 because the Q7 is just too big although very nicely built.

(BTW That looks like a familiar TT from a certain sunrise cruise last year. How is she running? I changed my C4S for a TT as you can see from my avatar. Aren't these great?)
Old 12-30-2010, 01:50 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Phil: Thanks a heap that is a really detailed account of your experiences with these vehicles and much appreciated. I will do some serious checking up on the Infiniti and pass this on to my friend.
Petee_C - My friend has no kids.
PorscheOnut - Yes I wondered about the Q5. No one has said anything about it yet? Is that significant?
We're pretty happy with our Q5. It's about the same size inside as a last-gen Cayenne or Touareg. Cargo area is a bit taller than Q7 if you can believe it.

Essentially drives like a car especially with the S-Line package (20-inch high-perf tires) but your friend probably won't want that.

Really nice bluetooth integration and navigation systems. Easy to use. Hard-drive and ipod MP3 playback as well.
Attached Images      
Old 12-30-2010, 04:40 PM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Bergamasco,

Does your neighbor have young kids? Cause in my experience with our 2 kids, - once the interior gets covered with snotty kleenexes, ground in Cheerios, Teddy Grahams, Smarties, Granola bars, misc sticky liquids, it really doesn't matter what luxury brand you get.

Each spring, I shopvac out enough cereal out of the back seat of our CRV to feed a 3rd world nation for a week.

P

LOL !!!
Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
A friend of mine has one. According to him it's a piece of crap. It's a very expensive vehicle to repair (especially the driveline).
We've had two, no issues till about 140k. My wife drives them because it's politically correct to drive domestics work related, the Cadillac happens to be the best of the lot, including the service dept.
We had a Lexus RX 350 prior to the Cadillac, a little too small, same goes for the Q5 and the FX. Q7 is way too big. New Cayenne's are very impressive, we have to wait and see what happens in a year from now when she's ready to get rid of this one.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2011 Touareg currently the only LARGE SUV to earn an IIHS Top Safety Pick. Then add TDi and you have 11L/City & 8L/Hwy. Loaded at ~ $63. Smooth 8 Speed tranny. Safe Luxury for the most important people.
Worth a look..
Attached Images   
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Feature per feature how do you feel it compares with the Porsche product?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Feature per feature how do you feel it compares with the Porsche product?
The new Touareg sure has a nicer looking and better made interior...
Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
The new Touareg sure has a nicer looking and better made interior...
Really? I think the 2011 Cayenne has a much more stylish interior. That's my unbiased opinion.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I had two Touaregs and loved both of them. Last gen., but much preferred the fit and finish. Also, the Touareg is still available with low range.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

"...still available with low range." I presume this is a small gas tank. What would be the advantage?

Quick Reply: Who produces the best luxury mid-sized suv?