Notices

Stupid Form Letter from MTO

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Stupid Form Letter from MTO

Anyone else get one of these stupid form letters saying that they are doing an audit of plate renewals and can't 'verify' that I have insurance on my 996?? It's the only car out of four, plus two bikes that they 'suspect' I don't have insurance on. WTF? One cheak with State Farm would fix this.

So now I have to sign a 'Declaration' stating I have insurance at a Service Ontario outlet and not going to a machine in the spring as I normally do.

I question the fact that I got my sticker at the end of March and they wait until mid December here? Did they check with State Farm and some goof said I have no current 'liability' listed? That would be correct - I don't - as I'm not driving the car in the winter, I just keep fire and theft on it from Nov1 thru to the last week of March.

I find this process suspect as out of the four cars in the house two are registrered to me and both of these (one being the 996) had the stickers obtained at the same time - yet the yoda is not listed on this stupid form letter, just the P car complete with plate and vin number.

One aspect that I think sucks is that the form as no file number and no one to contact other then the generic address from the MTO dept it came from in Kingston. Not good customer relations to be making this type of allegation without anyone to contact to be able to clear it up so that you can prevent the inconvenience of having to go to an outlet instead of a Mall.

If I have to go through this every year I will blow up worse then an IMS!!!

Now my letter writing begins...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

As I suspected...

Effective November 29, 2010, Ontario will electronically verify with the Insurance Bureau of Canada, if a passenger-plated vehicle has mandatory insurance coverage during the licence plate renewal process.
They have contracted with that stupid insurance industry lobby group to check this info and they have f**ked it up. They have no idea that people have seasonal cars!!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 388 Posts

unfortunately it doesn't suprise me.
gov't agencies and large corporations do this type of thing all the time and almost never give you phone number to call and discuss...if they do it ends up taking 2 hours to get your story to the right department. and they never respond to email, except with an automatic reply saying they will respond within 24 hours and they never respond. I have spent aout 3 hrs today and yesterday dealing with morons at bell. Bell and rogers are even worse than government corporations.
Rant is over
happy holidays to all!
Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Thank you for your e-mail. It is important to the ministry and has been forwarded to the appropriate ministry office for review.
Once again, thank you for bringing your concerns to Minister Wynne's attention. She always appreciates hearing from members of the public.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: December 14, 2010 4:32 PM
To: Minister of Transportation Correspondence (Web Account)
Subject: Form letters and the I. B. of Canada!!!

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by (.com) on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 at 16:31:31
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

subject: Form letters and the I. B. of Canada!!!

origin: Internet, Minister

mail: X

phone: 905-X

comments:
Effective November 29, 2010, Ontario will electronically verify with the Insurance Bureau of Canada, if a passenger-plated vehicle has mandatory insurance coverage during the license plate renewal process.
You see - this is where it has all gone wrong! The Insurance Bureau of Canada. I should have known... (Sigh - A lobby group)

-------------------------------------------------
Dear Minister,

Id like to raise an issue concerning a form letter I received this week from MTO regarding an issue they have with one of my cars. In this form letter they state to me that MTO are doing an audit of plate renewals and that they can't 'verify' that I have insurance on one of my vehicles.

The letter continues on that I will now have to travel to a Service Ontario outlet so that I can sign a 'Declaration' stating I have insurance instead of going to an SO Kiosk as I normally do at renewal time.

I questioned the fact that I got my sticker at the end of March and only NOW received this notice in mid December. But now that I know that the I.B.C is involved I can understand the screw up! Had MTO contacted MY insurance company - State Farm - you would have been told my car is driven seasonally.

Of course I have no current 'liability' listed - that would be correct - I don't - as I dont drive this particular car in the winter, I keep fire and theft on it while it s tucked away in my garage from Nov 1 thru to the last week of March and then I contact my agent to put the full insurance back on. Did no one THINK of this situation?

I found the timing of the letter suspect as out of the four cars in our household, two are registered to me and both of these had the stickers obtained at the same time - yet the other vehicle is not listed on this form letter hence my search and finding out about the I.B.C. involvement.

A further issue I have with this process; there is no file number and no department to contact other then the generic address from Kingston MTO mailing site to respond to. Not good customer relations to be making this type of allegation without anyone to contact in order to clear up a simple issue that I fear will lead to many people having the same inconvenience of having to go to an outlet instead of a Mall.

It seems to me that there should be a way for the public to clear up issues like this as individuals such as I who have seasonal vehicles could find this process repeated if these audits take place in off season time frames every year.

It may not seem like a big deal to have to come into an SO outlet to establish valid insurance but for this individual, I do sort of take offense at the suggestion I drive without insurance when in fact I have never done so.

There are thousands of people across Ontario who have seasonal vehicles - why wouldn't these 'checks' at least take place in mid summer? Please require this organization (I.B.C.) to put in place a procedure that recognizes seasonal vehicles.

Thank you.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

I have insurance for any vehicle I use on public roads in North America.

If it is parked due to not being used, then the insurance is taken off. What is their issue?

Quick Reply: Stupid Form Letter from MTO