Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know anything about this 997 S at World Fine Cars

My cousin is looking at this:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/PORSCHE/9...0409114506664/

Description: Arctic Silver on cocoa leather interior, Comfort package with navigation, Heated seats-Drive and passenger, Xenon headlights, Carbon fiber shifter and hand break, Carbon Fiber steering wheel, 19" Alloy Wheels, Sport Chrono package, Premium Bose Surround Sound system, Cocoa flour mats and a sport shifter Don't miss out on this vehicle.

Asking price is $56,800, it has just over 60,000km. Nice options and price seems to be lower than others on Autotrader. Anyone know anything about this car?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:01 AM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's been listed in autotrader since the week of october 18th
Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

Seems like a lotta dollars for a lotta KM's.....
Fact it's been listed in Autotrader since Oct supports this...

Definitely the season to negotiate on a "pre-enjoyed" Pcar!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
polar3
Instructor

I had no luck negotiating with that dealership earlier in the year. They lost the deal because they wouldn't come down $800 from the asking price. In their defence, the car was priced well but I'm not one to ever pay full asking. I dealt with Patrick but Paul might be more flexible. Good luck
Old 12-14-2010, 03:53 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by polar3
In their defence, the car was priced
There is no way to defend that behaviour, in my mind, unless they really did have another buyer all lined up. The depreciation on these cars is so fast that by the time a new prospective buyer shows up, the car is already 'worth' $800 less, with all respect to Keynes and Smith...

See my other thread on the topic. This mentality baffles me, frankly.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:03 PM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah seems a bit high especially it's not even CPO so no additional warranty. Wouldnt' do this deal unless it's high 40's , maximum 49,995
Old 12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Targatoo
There is no way to defend that behaviour, in my mind, unless they really did have another buyer all lined up. The depreciation on these cars is so fast that by the time a new prospective buyer shows up, the car is already 'worth' $800 less, with all respect to Keynes and Smith...

See my other thread on the topic. This mentality baffles me, frankly.
This is a bit of an aside but I remember watching a realty show in HGTV. The guy hadn't sold his house and it had been on the market for a year. What did he do before retiring? Used car dealer. His approach was that if you wait long enough you'll get your price and he even specifically stated that he'd let a car sit on a lot for a year...

Either they know their business and know to wait because there's enough margin built in or they're just stupid. I don't know...
Old 12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
polar3
Instructor

I believe some dealerships own their cars outright and can afford to hold onto things a bit longer. Where as the smaller dealerships are paying interest on their inventory. Either way, the used car business is pretty tough nowadays.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2

Either they know their business and know to wait because there's enough margin built in or they're just stupid. I don't know...
IMO In business only stupid money remains invested in a depreciating asset....

I never subscribed to that mind-set while running my business. I'd rather cut a loss, once it was realized, by reinvesting the remaining return in an asset with more market appeal (reads.. profit potential!)... and chalk it up to a lesson learned, not to be repeated.

But then again, owing your own business is merely a permit to answer only to yourself.... and either reap reward, or suffer consequence.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:41 PM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It is possible that holding price for a bricks and mortar or even a digital dealership is a strategy to maintain a reputation that you aren't "easy". Or to put it another way, to avoid the reputation that you can be talked down easily. If everyone gets to know you as an easy mark, you are subject to a lot more chiseling and a lot more losses in the long term. In business, reputation really is everything -- more important than any one or two sales.

When I come across a dealer trying to maintain this kind of reputation, I just move on. There are plenty of nice p-cars out there if you look a little!
Old 12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
chandrew
Instructor

I purchased last friday a 06 997S with 30k and 2 year warranty for 53,000$ dealer wanted 59,900$
The only reason i paid 53 was because i knew that the previous owner got 50k for his car in an exchange for a turbo.

The car is 9.5 in amazing shape and full records with one owner. 3 keys-new tires and major service was done at 28k ( 60k service ).

on the other hand.. it is light on options:

self dim mirrors
sports chrono
heated seats
bose radio.

So the dealer here is in line with the one in toronto for "sticker" price.. 60 vs 57 if you value more options versus less millage.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a base model with similar KM that I have personally maintained (except for warranty items). Has a 2 YR CPO from Porsche that can be reissued from the date of purchase. I'd be far more reasonable for what I'd sell it for. Guards Red.... who wants silver anyways?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 PM
MattAu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carproof report came back pretty crappy and there were lots of paint work. The car is no good according to my cousin. I guess we now know why it has been sitting for two months at such "low" price.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about this 997 S at World Fine Cars