Notices

New owner, couple questions about Battery Tender and Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010 | 03:21 PM
bueller20
Intermediate

Question New owner, couple questions about Battery Tender and Car Cover

Hello Everyone!

I recently purchased an RS 60 from the USA and will be picking it up and driving it back to the Great White North next week. My previous Porsche was a Guards Red 944 Turbo which was stolen a couple years back when I went to a baseball game

Anyways, I am hoping I could get some answers to my questions. I have searched the forum, and I gathered some helpful information, but I just need clarification on some things.

1) I already have a Battery Tender Plus with cigarette lighter adapter. With the RS 60, would it be best to plug the Battery Tender to the battery directly (via alligator clamps), or use the cigarette adapter inside the car? If I use the cigarette adapter, which plug is active in the car at all times - the one in the console, or the passenger footwell?

2) The car will be covered, but I have yet to buy a cover. Are there any retailers online that will ship to Canada? Which cover(s) do you recommend? The car will be in my garage, not outside.

3) Should I keep the front trunk (frunk) lid open (for any possible gas from the battery, if any) once the Battery Tender is hooked up to the car, knowing the car will be covered?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Your answers, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated. I can't wait to drive this thing!

Cheers!
Old 11-28-2010 | 04:09 PM
bavorak
Instructor

1) not sure but I use the main one on the dash for my 996.
2) make sure you get the breathable indoor cover if its going to be inside.
3) i think if you leave the hood open the light will always be on and draining power. There is a hose which runs from the battery to dispurse any possible gases. Make sure its connected.
Old 11-28-2010 | 04:24 PM
Tanner2305
Instructor

I bought my CTEK US 3300 battery charger on sale from Canadian Tire. This unit didn't come with the cigarette adapter so Canadian Tire ordered me on (special order for them) that cost $12.00 and took a week to get there.

It's hooked up and working well.

I've got my Porsche cover on with the passenger winder down a inch or two to allow the battery charger cable to pass through the window to the lighter. There is enough cable to run down the side of the car/cover adn out the bottom.
Old 11-29-2010 | 09:52 AM
bueller20
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I will check out carcoversdirect, and definitely get a breathable cover. Hopefully this will be sufficient and still allow the battery to breathe with the front trunk closed.

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2010 | 10:33 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

If you plan on storing the car for the winter:
- Don't forget to pump the tires up to around 50-55 PSI
- Buy yourself those rubber stair pads from the hardware store. Cut them up in pairs and park your car's tires on the pads. It will help prevent flatspotting as tires don't take kindly to cold cement floors
- Fuel Stabilizer in your tank
- With respect to the car cover, I went the other way and purchased a waterproof cover. The only reason behind this action was due to the odd time that I have to park my car outside during the winter months if I have work to do inside my garage. If it snows or rains, your paint won't spot. Otherwise, a regular car cover will do fine.
Old 11-29-2010 | 10:58 AM
bueller20
Intermediate

Thanks Andy. I will definitely follow your suggestions, especially using Stabil. I used to park my 944 on top of 2inch thick square pieces of styrofoam, wrapped in old carpet (that I still have). Would that suffice?
Old 11-29-2010 | 11:54 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Anything that will 'isolate' the tires from the cold cement floor will do.
Old 11-29-2010 | 12:58 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

don't forget pics!!!!
Old 11-29-2010 | 02:03 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic of a cover I bought from Carnewal.com. Very silky and very tight fitting.
Attached Images  
Old 11-29-2010 | 04:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

The cigarette plug is easier and can be used in the warm months when your car is going to sit more than a couple of weeks. I shut the door on the wire rather than leaving a window open and would not leave the trunk open as mice will get in.

Don't see any need for car cover unless your garage sees traffic. A little dust won't scratch but a car cover will. Also, mice love it under a car cover.

If you park your car on CT foam tiles, there is no need to increase your tire pressure - search for the "Another flat spotting tire idea" thread in this forum for photos.

Baited mouse traps are a good precaution.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2010 | 05:41 PM
vipola
Racer

Originally Posted by Leigh2
Here's a pic of a cover I bought from Carnewal.com. Very silky and very tight fitting.
I like the little bases for your wheel.. where do they com from?
Old 11-29-2010 | 06:02 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Nice cover!

Great recomendation's guys on putting something soft between the tires and cement durring winter months. This will be my project this week. lol

Do those rubber/plastic cradels work well?
Old 11-29-2010 | 09:21 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

They are Race Ramp Flatstoppers I bought from http://fasttoys.net/ca/product_info....products_id=63
(no affiliation)
First time I've used them so nothing to report. I thought I would try something as the tires have noticeable flat spots even after a week of storage.
Old 11-29-2010 | 09:35 PM
Bergamasco
Three Wheelin'

It is also a good idea to put a sheet of plastic over the garage floor to keep the humidity down. I bought my first custom cover from Automotion in the USA. They offer excellent bang for the buck in my opinion. Now, I use a Carnewal cover which is absolutely the ultimate. Very pricey but really nice. (Importation taxes from Europe are insane.)
Old 11-30-2010 | 11:25 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

They are Race Ramp Flatstoppers I bought from http://fasttoys.net/ca/product_info....products_id=63
(no affiliation)
First time I've used them so nothing to report. I thought I would try something as the tires have noticeable flat spots even after a week of storage.
I think beers4all used 'em and they worked but 20X as expensive as CT foam tiles..

Quick Reply: New owner, couple questions about Battery Tender and Car Cover