Notices

I've added BMW Canada to my sh!t list

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:19 AM
vipola
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
Crazy Canuck, no matter what you write, I am happy to see it - you have the best avatar on here by far!
LIKE!
Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Well, the service guy I just spoke to at Budds was very rude. $2421 to register the warranty, didn't know/wouldn't discuss why, just pointed me to BMW Canada, gave me the number and hung up.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Christien
Well, the service guy I just spoke to at Budds was very rude. $2421 to register the warranty, didn't know/wouldn't discuss why, just pointed me to BMW Canada, gave me the number and hung up.
I'll chalk your Budd's response into my list of "proof that the Budd's organization are all Bud smokers"
Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

What I don't understand is how these guys continue to make a profit selling cars. Same with Pfaff. And early reports are that the London dealership is taking the Pfaff approach to customer service, rather than the Leavens approach. No first hand experience there myself, aside from a brief talk with service over what factory warranty is on an 06 Cayenne, which he didn't really know: "uh, I think powertrain is 130,000km". But I've had a few people into our dealership saying they were blown off.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:39 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Christien
There is no way to rationalize a non tariff barrier other than protection of uncompetitive Canadian businesses. Bitchin' here really won't do much good. Write letters to your MP and MPP and THE OPPOSITION.....election's are in the offing and if enough or you write, it will get attention. None of 'em want to end up another "George what's his name".....and consider legal action if it makes sense........
Old 10-29-2010, 01:45 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... this nonsense is being pointed directly at us P-car importers too. I will make a more detailed post of the whole process at some point down the road.... but have a look at what was on my RIV letter. Just slid in the middle with no other explanation. I was too afraid to ask what these mods were and fortunately never had to find out.

...."In the case of the modifications to the bumper or the child tether anchorage systems, you will need documentation from the original equipment manufacturer indicating the part #'s required to complete the work. You will also need an invoice indicating the work has been completed. This documentation is required in order to pass the inspection."

Needless to say, I was a little choked when I read that.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

a year and half ago they passed rules that you don't need to change bumpers for Canada if they are accepted in US
Old 10-29-2010, 04:43 PM
Topaz330ci
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave them almost a thousand dollars straight to the dealer for two dumb letters back in 2008! (Recall and Admissibility)If only I knew better.... Wish somehow I could get that back from those crooks.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:20 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
a year and half ago they passed rules that you don't need to change bumpers for Canada if they are accepted in US
Do you know where more information on this can be found?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jnicol
Transport Canada's rules changed.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
DHC6
Racer

Here is where you can find all the information needed to get a car into Canada. Also when brought my car into Canada I called them for information and they were very helpful to me any way. My import process was pretty easy (although it's less complicated for older cars, but still the same process). I know it's a bit of a pain, but another option is to drive across the border and have your car fixed a US dealer (a friend does this with his M3 in Thunder Bay).

Also I contacted the SAAQ (department of motor vehicles in Quebec) just to make sure I did every thing I needed to do in order to get my Qc. plates. Other then that it wasn't that complicated.

Dealers should get the hint, and lower prices, contact manufactures to get the prices adjusted. Then we wouldn't be tempted to go across the border, especially on used cars, it's just not worth it to buy in Canada, especially when you realize it's actually not that difficult to import a car.

http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...-index-443.htm

A friend imported a 360, and all he had to do was get an inspection from Canadian Tire, and an SAAQ approved place (I think most CAA garages are certified), do any modifications needed (day time running lights... etc... no "dealer" recipts needed, just as long as the car conforms to CDN law) get your recall letter to show the car is up to date with any recalls, and that's it. No need to hassle with the dealer, unless the mods can't be done by you, or your local garage. At least in Qc. that was it, they don't care where or who or how the mods are done, as long as they are done.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:26 PM
jnicol
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Transport Canada's rules changed.
It's curious though - don't you think, that they put in something about modifying the bumpers? Especially if there is no rules suggesting I should. I suppose it should be chalked up to scare tactics.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:08 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 221 Likes on 110 Posts

It's curious though - don't you think, that they put in something about modifying the bumpers? Especially if there is no rules suggesting I should. I suppose it should be chalked up to scare tactics.
Used to have to modify the bumpers because Canada's rules were more stringent than those of the US. A couple of years ago the rules changed. I have to imagine manufacturers lobbied to TC to get the rules changed.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bringing a Boxster S to Canada?

All;

Ex Pat Canadian here in Sunny San Diego, and I have a 2001 Boxster S - Seal Grey on Black - and it looks like I may be relocating back to Toronto. I know - from sunny So Cal to the GTA may not seem that great, but it will be good to come home.

I am reading this thread and wondering specifically what issues I may have brining the P-Car back. Looks like the major issue may be the odometer/speedometer. By BMW has both KM's and MPH on the speedomoter, but not the Boxster.

Based on the RIV site, it is admissable, but I am sure there is more.

Given its age - over 10 years - is it possible that it could be grandfathered? What is the best source of info? Porsche Canada? MOT?

Thanks for any help.

Greg
Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being that you are a u.s. resident relocating to canada, i think there might be details of the import requirements that are less onerous, but Arnauld would be able to speak to that.

Quick Reply: I've added BMW Canada to my sh!t list