Notices

What battery "tenders" does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 89VWdieselGolf
My 944S has been sitting for a few months at a time and every time i go to start it, the battery is dead...
That is a sure way to reduce the life of your battery.

As for battery charger-maintainers, I use an Optimate III and CTEK Multi US 3300.

I prefer the CTEK because it has two current levels (0.8 A and 3.3 A) as well as two voltage levels (14.4 V and 14.7 V)...the latter is used for specialty batteries and during the winter if the battery is charged in a cool garage.

Don't be fooled by fancy packaging and advertizing though. We've been testing battery chargers at work and two models from a very popular well known brand failed miserably.

The CTEK goes on sale at CTC now and then for $53.99.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:19 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CTEK was my final choice after trying the Can Tire charger.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been using a Battery Tender (not the junior that you have pictured) for several years now. Works great.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:51 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I use one that plugs into the wall and connects to the battery. It pushes protons at the little red terminal. The protons seems to want to disappear over the winter months. I am not sure where they go.

It says it floats but I think it's density is greater than that of water so not sure if it does float or not. My dad always told me not put electrical things in the bathtub.

Hope that helps.

Doesn't this come up every year?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Porsche16V944
Racer

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That is a sure way to reduce the life of your battery.

Thats why i'm looking into a charger

Don't be fooled by fancy packaging and advertizing though. We've been testing battery chargers at work and two models from a very popular well known brand failed miserably.

Can you disclose which ones your research recommends not to buy??
-Jeff
Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm surprised no one has mentioned this charger, but I use a solar powered trickle charger. Canadian Tire, on sale for $14.99. 1.8watts. I suppose not everyone has a window in their garage, but I happen to have a 2x3 window facing west, so all afternoon the car receives a trickle charge. I got the optional cable kit, and I hang the charger right in the window, and have the cable come along the ceiling. It will reach either of my cars if I want to. If you park outside, you can just sit it on the dash and plug into the cig lighter. Mine can plug into the lighter or directly to the battery (I use the latter) I have an Optima yellow top battery, so I will let you know how it works out after the long winter hibernation.

Just trying to make up for my satanic proportioned carbon footprint (because I am a human and take away natures resources that should be used by chipmunks, rabbits and puppy dogs)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:08 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

I think the whole battery tender thing is a scam.

I have several vehicles that I store:

Bowrider Boat (marine cranking)
Fishing Boat (deep cycle for the trolling motor)
Car (regular battery).

I pull the battery's out, charge them overnight at 2 amps. Put them in a cool, place where they will not freeze.

In spring, I put them on a 2 amp charge overnight. And use them again. Marine cranking battery lasted 7 seasons, deep cycle is on 5 seasons. car is on 4 seasons.

Never a problem...

Actually, I have a buddy that bought an 85 camaro with 8000 kms. Car was stored in a non freezing spot for 20 years. He's still running the 25 year old battery! No charging of it at all.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 279 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by oups59
I use a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger, 2A/4A. I bought it for 30$ last year. So far so good...
I have one of these on both of my cars that rarely get driven and they work great. 3 year warranty if I recall. Wait for them to go on sale for $35. I had an $87 Porsche trickle chjarger and the auto shut off failed after 6 months.........
Old 10-18-2010, 09:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 89VWdieselGolf
Thats why i'm looking into a charger.
In figured since you said "everytime i go to start it, the battery is dead", you weren't in any rush to maintain your battery as you've found it dead numerous times.

Anyway, the two chargers that we tested were from Schumacher. One was the SSC-1500A and the other was a shop charger. The 1500 was taking batteries to nearly 16V in the AGM mode. 15.5 to 16V is all very good if you are trying to equalize a battery...the only thing is...you do not equalize AGM or GEL batteries...only flooded lead acid batteries where you can afford to overcharge them for a short time and add distilled water to replenish what has gassed out.

I have yet to test my CTEK at work when I have time. So far though, I have checked that it limits voltage at 14.4 V and 14.7 V depending on the mode set.

As for the often seen "charges all types of batteries" claim that we see on the cartons of battery chargers, they're not lying, they're just not telling you the whole truth. Thats like me telling you an adjustable wrench tightens all hex fasteners. Sure it does, just not as well as a 6-point socket if you are really torquing it. Not all chargers are what they should be.

The best charger that I have come across and tested is the Xantrex TrueCharge 2.

Batteries as simple as they appear are very particular as to how they are charged IF you want to get the maximum service life out of them. We could go into this a lot more, but all the info is right in the East Penn Technical Manual which discusses the differences between AGM and GEL batteries as well as the charging requirements and advantages/disadvantages of them..

Personally, I prefer flooded lead acid batteries. AGMs are not what they are cracked up to be and have too many disadvantages.

I have had an original battery last 16 years as it left in the car with a new owner. My present car battery is on its 12th year. They last if your charging system is doing what it should and if the battery is maintained during the off season.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steam_mill
Put them in a cool place where they will not freeze.
They won't freeze as long as they are fully charged. In fact, the colder it is, the slower the rate of self discharge. And as long as nothing is connected to the battery terminals, the rate of self discharge of a healthy battery is pretty well zilch in sub-freezing temperatures. One should monitor the voltage once a month to be sure.

Originally Posted by steam_mill
I have a buddy that bought an 85 camaro with 8000 kms. Car was stored in a non freezing spot for 20 years. He's still running the 25 year old battery! No charging of it at all.
Just because it starts the car does not mean the battery is in great shape. I've tested many run down military 6T batteries that pass the load test (starting capability), but have less than 50% capacity for silent watch activities (or getting you home if the alternator or belt fail).

The battery that came in my recently acquired 993 started the car instantly every time although a load test was borderline. I also noted that the battery voltage dropped too quickly for a mere 22 mA standby current draw. That told me capacity was most likely down.

I'm glad I chose to install a new battery in April. I would have never made it home those 180 kms when the alternator belt let go. Reserve capacity of the new battery was 120 minutes based on a 25A draw (I was probably running less). The battery measured in at 11.4 V when I got home. I now have a voltmeter installed.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Porsche16V944
Racer

thats some good info... really sounds like you know your batteries. Thanks!

Quick Reply: What battery "tenders" does everyone use?