Notices

US 996 - Wiring DRL to Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:54 PM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US 996 - Wiring DRL to Fog Lights

I am just about to take delivery of my 996 C4S, imported from Phoenix, and know that I need to get my daytime running lights (DRLs) hooked up. My options are:

1. Take it to the dealer and have them do a $600 modification to enable the DRLs;

2. Take it to a local auto electrical shop (Car Guys in Calgary), where the guy says he can hook up the "fogs" (inner teardrop) as DRLs for half of the dealer's charge;

3. The $10 mod, well known to everyone here.

Comments/thoughts?
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM
DHC6
Racer

I know it's not the same car, or purchase price, but I did the mod myself on my 944S2 and saved big $. If it's just to pass safety and get your car plated in Canada I would just to the least expensive/easiest way and get it plated then do what you want!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:39 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Comments/thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Do it yourself, there is a DIY thread on here, this is someting a five year old can do and will leave you scratching your head why someone would pay the $600 at a dealer for the same result.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by spender
I am just about to take delivery of my 996 C4S, imported from Phoenix, and know that I need to get my daytime running lights (DRLs) hooked up. My options are:

1. Take it to the dealer and have them do a $600 modification to enable the DRLs;

2. Take it to a local auto electrical shop (Car Guys in Calgary), where the guy says he can hook up the "fogs" (inner teardrop) as DRLs for half of the dealer's charge;

Comments/thoughts?
I'd do the VW mod to turn on your fogs as DRL's if I were you - but it's more like $30+ bucks up here now for that relay.

For me - well I want to turn OFF the headlights as my DRL's and use the Audi style LED DRL's that are being shipped to me. I'm going to install and wire in and my intent is to bypass the DRL 'headlights' mode. My fog's will still be fog's if I choose to use them (not that they work that well being so high off the ground). I have to isolate the circuit that turns on the headlight's when the key is turned and direct the 12V to the LED's. I may even tie in the side marker lights and the LED DRL's as turn signals so that they both flash for direction.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM
Dayo5
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
I'd do the VW mod to turn on your fogs as DRL's if I were you - but it's more like $30+ bucks up here now for that relay.

For me - well I want to turn OFF the headlights as my DRL's and use the Audi style LED DRL's that are being shipped to me. I'm going to install and wire in and my intent is to bypass the DRL 'headlights' mode. My fog's will still be fog's if I choose to use them (not that they work that well being so high off the ground). I have to isolate the circuit that turns on the headlight's when the key is turned and direct the 12V to the LED's. I may even tie in the side marker lights and the LED DRL's as turn signals so that they both flash for direction.
Thanks for sharing this thread DIY. I want to do the same thing. Where did you tap into the 12v needed for the DRL's? I would like to be able to do it in the frunk. I would appreciate any info! thanks!

Quick Reply: US 996 - Wiring DRL to Fog Lights