Notices

SA 2010 - NEW HELMETS coming soon

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SA 2010 - NEW HELMETS coming soon

Today I got the news from one of our Helmet suppliers and they told me that the new SA2010 helmets will be released October 1st. So all SA2000 helmets will expire by the end of the year - and the SA2005 will be good for another 5 years. If I get the materials in on time I will have a tech article in the next PROVINZ magazine...
Old 09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

What's so special about the new helmets?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Good question Stan! Every 5 years the sanctioning body (Snell Memorial Foundation) releases a new Standard which is good for 10 years. There are standard tests that each helmets have to pass to be certified etc. You can read more about this on their website www.smf.org
So long story short - it's a new sticker on the same style helmets....
Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
PPo
Drifting

What brands do you offer?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

correct me if I am wrong; I think every 5 years (or so,sometimes they are late) they produce a resin that is used in the manufacture of helmets. like plastic or rubber, it degrades with age and becomes softer so it is only good for 10 years.
there is also an M rating which is for motorcycles and is designed for single impact ( common in motorcycle accidents). car accidents often cause the helmet to hit numerous times inside a car and are designed for such, so don't use M in a car.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Thats right Danny - the 10 year mark is about the maximum which the material is kind of safe.

We carry HJC - STILO - STAND21 helmets - and we have all sizes in stock including the padding to make them fit better.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Yup, I'm a bit of a skeptic. I'd like to see a report from an independant standards association on whether the material, sans impact, really does degrade before I write off a helmet......have not found anything. Anyone else have anything from an independant source?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Ronnie: it is a well known fact that plastics and other materials degrade over time...
inside the helmet is your brain...something I don't take chances with.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:48 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Ronnie: it is a well known fact that plastics and other materials degrade over time...
inside the helmet is your brain...something I don't take chances with.
One of the saddest truths in life Danny is that most conventional wisdom is nonsense so I'm interested in a qualified, independant view.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I've also wondered about this theory when it comes to seat belt harnesses.......I can see replacing them in the event of an accident, but otherwise?
On the topic of motorcycle helmets, I've not heard of a law that enforces out of date helmets and wonder if there is one? I've never had an officer check inside my helmet.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
One of the saddest truths in life Danny is that most conventional wisdom is nonsense so I'm interested in a qualified, independant view.
Well, I look at it like this. Regardless if you are right or wrong, I can't race without a legal helmet. Yes they do check every helmet, so my current BELL SA 2000 will be retired.

Looking for a nice new HJC SA 2010... I will purchase in the spring.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
If the shell has never been dropped it may still be fairly sound but the consistency of the shock absorbing styrofoam which make up most of the helmet may have changed over the years. I've seen helmet tested and the styofoam usually breaks apart with sufficient impact but with chemical changes that take place over time this may or may not happen... a bit of a gamble in my books.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chopperzz
I've also wondered about this theory when it comes to seat belt harnesses.......I can see replacing them in the event of an accident, but otherwise?
On the topic of motorcycle helmets, I've not heard of a law that enforces out of date helmets and wonder if there is one? I've never had an officer check inside my helmet.
with regards to seatbelts; harnesses do not have uv protection and will break down over time in the sun. I don't think police check helmet dates.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Here we go. It isn't plastic fatigue. It's evolution.

http://www.smf.org/articles/mpn.html

MPN: There have been various theories over the years that motorcyclists should purchase new helmets every three years or so. Has that been a marketing ploy, or do the materials used in motorcycle helmet construction fatigue over a period of time?

Brown: I think "fatigue" is probably the wrong word to use. What happens is that many manufacturers use glues to put the liner into the shell. We've seen cases where the glues would degrade the liner. We've also seen liners degrade from perspiration and hair oils, and they become compacted through normal use. Snell finally looked at this and said there's no way we can tell an individual how long his or her helmet will be good because the user is the only one who knows how a helmet has been treated. But as a general policy, because of normal degradation and improvements in the helmet, Snell recommends that helmets be replaced every five years.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Ilker@SCB
Banned

Like I said - new HJC helmets or otherw will be made available after October 1 - don't ask me why they are bein held back. I guess we all have a fair amount of SA2005 on hand...

As for the harnesses - they do expire as well. on the Schroth harnesses there is a label which read "good until 2012" etc.

Quick Reply: SA 2010 - NEW HELMETS coming soon