Notices

OT: Back to school!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 03:56 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Back to school!

For the first time I am not excited that the kids are going back to school. My little girl is starting high school. Boys that age only want one thing with a girl. Girls that age will believe anything that comes out of the boys mouth. Bad combo, I recon. Not to mention drugs.

I have been trying to warn her. But can only say that much, if you know what I mean.

Am I over reacting?

Stan
Old 09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes. Trust the values you've taught your daughter. My eldest daughter is starting 3rd year of University and her sister is starting grade 12. They always amaze me at how responsible they are and how little they give me to worry about really...must have taken it from their mother side!
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

My daugher is only 5 1/2 right now...and I'm not looking forward to that day. I think I'll be a preferred customer with Smith & Wesson when the time comes.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

I don't have a daughter, but remember them from when I was in highschool (as I'm sure we all do) The variables today are the same as 25 years ago, they just have a different face. Sounds as though you've done everything and even your concern voiced here probably puts you ahead of the curve, I'm sure you'll do fine.
Don't smother, but make a point of staying close over the next while, when she could very well need your ear.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Ernie J
Pro

Well, I think that its how you bring them up before high school. High school its a bit to late to change or instill "correct values" . If you are lucky , your daughter will make through high school, my 2 daughters have and theres always been a worry about what they do when they are alone with a "guy" . Remember how you were in High School !
Old 09-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I remember how I was in high school, and I remember what the "easy" girls were like. If you've raised them right, chances are they won't be one of those girls.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:40 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Maybe I am over reacting. She doesnt really give me reasons to worry. Its just what some of you mentioned. I am only 35 now and I remember vividly when fresh girls arrived in September. (what I would give to go back for a week...)
My Shelly is nothing like the "easy" ones. But she is a woman at heart, after all. And that variable leaves a lot of room for vulnerability. Anyway, I am sure she will be fine.

Thanks fellas.
I knew I can count on you for support.

Cheers
Old 09-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Slowly let the hammer go back into place. Remove clip. Put back in drawer. Pull out single malt. Two fingers. No wait - three. You'll feel fine in about an hour. Been there done it dept...
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My oldest girl is heading into year two at high school.
She is level headed and walks to the beat of her own drum, nobody else's.
She knows what she wants and what she doesn't.
She's been taught well and has good common sense.
Still, we always ask what she's up to and how she's doing.
At this point I just need to have faith in her and keep the lines of communication open.

:-)
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by irobertson
My oldest girl is heading into year two at high school.
She is level headed and walks to the beat of her own drum, nobody else's.
She knows what she wants and what she doesn't.
She's been taught well and has good common sense.
Still, we always ask what she's up to and how she's doing.
At this point I just need to have faith in her and keep the lines of communication open.

:-)
+1 My daughter is starting grade 12 and I couldn't have said it better. No matter what the cercumstances "keeping the lines of communications open" is the key.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:43 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Speaking of communication, I should have never bought her that Blackberry. BIG mistake.

P.S. Mark, long time no see.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
Speaking of communication, I should have never bought her that Blackberry. BIG mistake.

P.S. Mark, long time no see.
Hey Stan, it's nice to hear from you too, you will be seeing/hearing more from me now that the youth soccer season is comming to an end.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

My only daughter started University this week, I feel very fortunate, she hasn't cause us (wife & I ) one moment of grief or anguish to date. She is no saint and like all high school kids she went to parties and drank alcohol but no stupidity.
She graduated top of her class with honors and has worked extremely hard to ensure she stayed the coarse for future hopes of becoming a doctor. I couldn't be more proud of her, she has earned my respect and admiration.

I have always told here to respect yourself and you will do fine in life. I trust her judgment and take pride in the fact that we have done our job as parents and now it's her turn to take charge of her life and make her own decision.

There will always be boys around to test your daughters judgment, it's part of growing up. Have a little faith, she will make you proud.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:29 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice story Polarporsche.
My daughter also want's to become a doctor.
She took two summer credits this past summer in order to open up her schedule to be able to do Grade 10 science this semester, and then do grade 11 physics next, which will allow her to do the other sciences she needs next year in grade 11.
Geeze, When I was in high school the extent of my planning was what are we gonna score for the weekend. LOL
As a lady friend of mine raising her boy by herself likes to reminds me, the pretty girls are a huge distraction, and they know it, so I suppose it goes both ways.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Wes_R
Banned

I'm taking notes from this thread, my daughter just turned 1 and already I am concerned about her future. But in comparison to her older brother I must say she is very calm and in control so I have hopes to raise her well like I am reading in this thread, but I'll keep the shotgun around just in case.

Quick question, have any of you put them through self defense classes?

Quick Reply: OT: Back to school!