Notices

Mosport lapping event

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mosport lapping event

a long note, (but worth the read) to the rennlist guys about the 6th Gear lapping group.

Yesterday I attended my 8th lapping event with the 6th Gear team and I must say that it was hands down the best day I've had at Mosport.
Their format is an open lapping track event, there are no run groups and novice drivers have ample opportunity to ask for instruction. Not too sure on the number of novices yesterday, but my experience with this event is that it has a higher number of experienced drivers and many familiar faces from previous 6th gear events.

Before anyone goes off on me for being biased I'll comment on the other events that I've attended, at the Mosport track.

Apex-
-Great instruction with tons of access to 6 or more credible instructors.
-20 minute track sessions
-majority have been 3 groups (novice, intermediate, advanced) however they have had a couple sessions this year with only 2 run groups (which is better)
-lunch is provided and of fair quality
-price fluctuates around the $399 range

John and Gerry do a good track event.

The Rennlist day's of '09-
- Good group of Guys with like minded interests and P-cars
-20 minute Run groups

Arnaud and his friends (don't know names) did the best job that they could with the number of people committing to their events.

Dexter day's-

-I've attended only a couple
-2 run groups
-20 minute run groups
-well run, clearly communicated

So with that as my Mosport specific track experience, you can see that each event group has good things going for them and they also have a list of repeat customers.

If you want the benefit of instruction and need dedicated support as a beginner and the controlled environment of being in a run group that closely matches your skill level, APEX is the best team that i've experienced for that.

But, if you want a track experience that includes intermediate to advanced drivers with well suited street cars and the variety of being passed (or getting to pass ) purposely built track cars, even scuderia 430's and IMSA lites, the 6TH GEAR events are hands down the best general lapping event going at the Mosport track.

Everyone always comments of the food..... and it, on it's own, is not even closely rivaled by any other lapping group.......it's too easy to spend more time discussing on how well they do in this category, more importantly is TRACK TIME.

For $450, there is no other group that I can go out for 45-50 minutes or a whole hour stint AT A TIME. This is the only group that does it. How better to train for what it's like to race, without a race?
6th Gear has 6 days booked for 2010 and thay are looking to book more for 2011, pre-pay (as we did) in the winter and be certain thet they'll get stronger and hopefully get more days.

Additionally, the 6th gear group is almost finished their garage area, that will include kitchen, sitting area for members/friends and probably more things that they plan, that I don't know about yet.

From the side of just wanting a better experience out of motorsports in Ontario, look at it this way, Calabogie's ownership group is doing the best they can to give their customers a better track, better facility, with track suites available for weekend events and club members. As well as more construction and add ons being done in 2010.

Rob and the team at 6th Gear are doing the best that can to invest in their passion, the track experience for their friends/customers, the 6th GEAR club area in Pit Lane and probably other things that I'm not aware of...They're doing this as Tenants at the track, not owners, but tenants. This is a major undertaking.

We should support them by attending their events, for all the reasons that I've listed above, we all benefit from investing in things that pay us back and who doesn't feel better after a day at the track?????

Hats off to 6th Gear. We need more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin
Old 07-15-2010, 02:15 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

+1

I agree with all points above...definitely my favorite group to run with. Hoping they add more days to the schedule as well.....
Old 07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

another thumbs up from me - my fave group to run with. Best value, I love open-track, and food/drinks all day long, including 3 full meals plus beer at the end of the day.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Good report. But FYI: the "rennlist days" are not an organized event but more of a cooperative between all of us who choose to participate where all the costs are equally shared and no profits are made. The sessions (unless there is a safety reason to cut it short) are more like 25-30 mins.
Don't want to split hairs, but it's important to note the difference vs the other events since there isn't an official organizer and hence everyone who participates does so at their own risk. Just wanted this stated to protect the innocent from liability.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I was there yesterday and I was worn out at the end of the day. One of the guys I was with yesterday does the Dexter days as well. He said it was an open track as well. They (Dexter) have more marshals throughout the track.
I'm thinking of doing 6th gear again in August. It was a blast.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Good report. But FYI: the "rennlist days" are not an organized event but more of a cooperative between all of us who choose to participate where all the costs are equally shared and no profits are made. The sessions (unless there is a safety reason to cut it short) are more like 25-30 mins.
Don't want to split hairs, but it's important to note the difference vs the other events since there isn't an official organizer and hence everyone who participates does so at their own risk. Just wanted this stated to protect the innocent from liability.
My apologies for any assumptions in the behind the scenes of the "rennlist days". My knowledge of that, along with the background understanding of any of the groups/organizations/cooperatives, is limited to what I know as a consumer on the outside. We pay for the day, sign the waivers and drive the best we can for 5+ hours. The difference on the back end is an unknown for us.
All the waivers I've signed at any track event in Ontario are the same regardless of the operating structure of the event, cooperative or otherwise.

My comments we not meant to showcase any liability to any of the people I mentioned. I'm not sure what you mean by, "protecting the innocent from liabilty" or how anything I said implied otherwise?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chopperzz
I'm not sure what you mean by, "protecting the innocent from liabilty" or how anything I said implied otherwise?
No biggie; it's actually nothing you said, but this being a public forum that anybody can read, it's more in case if anyone (or rather their insurance co.) ever decided after an incident to go after the "organizers" that it be clearly recorded that these are not run by a business. Rennlist days should be viewed as a bunch of like-minded people getting together to rent a track, sharing all the costs equally and going out to play. Unlike all the other reputable track organizers you listed who are businesses and do this to make a profit by offering a service which comes with certain implied guarantees.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Still find these to be a bit on the expensive side for one day of lapping but the format does sound interesting.

Is there a web site for 6th gear or is there a way to get on a mailing list to stay abreast of the upcoming events? I know, I could probably do a search, but I'm sure you have the info at your finger tips. Plus, it might help anybody else looking on here.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

6thgear.ca
Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pickering993
6thgear.ca
Duh, thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pongobaz
No biggie; it's actually nothing you said, but this being a public forum that anybody can read, it's more in case if anyone (or rather their insurance co.) ever decided after an incident to go after the "organizers" that it be clearly recorded that these are not run by a business. Rennlist days should be viewed as a bunch of like-minded people getting together to rent a track, sharing all the costs equally and going out to play. Unlike all the other reputable track organizers you listed who are businesses and do this to make a profit by offering a service which comes with certain implied guarantees.
Again I want to clearly state that based on what I know, and being that I've never rented a track, on the surface of all of these different organizations/collectives/events or whatever you want to call them, the services provided are the same. A track.
Whether they are a business or make a profit are irrelevant to the service that they provide, and again, unknown to the attendees.

How is it that a post comparing a variety of different track experiences that I've had, and my consumer based evaluation of them, turn into a "I'm not splitting hairs" from someone who clearly is? I didn't say a bad word about any of them, whether they were a business for profit or a charity organization, how the hell am I supposed to know.

Were you one of the Rennlist, "like minded individuals" who helped assist in the "getting together" of guys? If so, and you would like to comment directly to your desire to not be tied to any liability perceived by anyone's lawyer, for any "play sessions" that you didn't partake in last year, just say so. Otherwise split hairs on a website for hairdressers, geez.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:20 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I have rented a track (once, almost twice) for full days for motorcycle lapping. It is a fair bit of work, and a fair bit of money on the outlay.

Back in 2003ish, I believe it was over $2000cdn to rent shannonville with 'insurance'. Not insurance for the organizers, insurance for the track, Then for motorcycles, you need to book an ambulance - which was basically a white van with lights and a couple guys. Did this with a couple friends for a group of motorcyclists.

Then you have to find marshalls, who will work for free or next to nothing in the hopefully beating sun.

Then you have to collect money from people. Sweet talk some sponsors into donating stuff for door prizes, pizza etc.

If you're lucky, you'll get to go on the track for free.

-----

I've only been to one trackday in the BoxsterS. I tried Gerry's day, and was pleased.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chopperzz
Otherwise split hairs on a website for hairdressers, geez.
Geez chill out. This wasn't an attack on you or your post, but you clearly have taken it personally.
Next time I'll PM you a draft of my intended post for your approval beforehand
Old 07-18-2010, 12:58 PM
mdex
Racer

Just to point out... Dexter has never had run groups. It is open lapping with a one hour lunch break the only down time on track.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

6th Gear events have 8 marshals.

Quick Reply: Mosport lapping event