Notices

Classified Scam Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:53 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Classified Scam Thread

Post your favourite scam, be it money transfer of $1,000,000 from Nigeria, or an army officer who needs to do an immediate deal, but needs your online banking info and password to process the over-payment.

Here is my most recent:

Thanks for the mail.. I am interested in purchasing this from you and i am also sure you are ready to make fast transaction. The other guy i was trying to purchase something like this from wasted my time and sold it to someone else all because they offered him and higher price towards the end of our transaction, but i will not like such a thing to happen again so am offering you $25,000 for this merchandise. I will be sending the funds through PayPal so i will like you to also get back to me with your paypal email so i can transfer the whole funds at once. If you don't have a paypal yet, you can go to www.paypal.com to register and then get back to me with the email which you have used to register so i can send the funds asap. Am an army officer and am on shore right now, so due to the nature of my job i will not be able to meet you one on one or make calls for now, but at the end of the transaction after you have received the money, then you will meet with my agent at your desired place so that they can pick it up for me and complete the whole deal. Thanks, hope to hear back from you soon..
Old 07-09-2010, 05:49 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had alot of these paypal scams come my way recently. Fom sailors to travelling business men, even got one of these on ebay when selling some X6 rims, went to great lengths to get me to ship. All adresses were apparently army bases? UK and even in the US and that they would forward the shipment to him.

I got a very creepy one last week from a guy who who called about my car. Unusual fellow to say the least. Called about 7 times, blocked number and never left messages. First asked if I spoke Russian or know anyone who did for negotiating purposes apparently, than warned me that the person doing the negotiating on his behalf may make demeaning comments towards me and if it was possible for me to make similar comments back to put him in his place. Also asked me to raise my price by a few grand to make for better negotiating.

I have never, ever encountered a situation like this before and replied "No' to all his requests and told him that I felt uncomfortable eventalking to him since his requests were so odd.

Finally told him that I would be selling through a dealer to get the tax credit and would cost him the exact same and have the option of buying a waranty he said well I need more time to look around, odd considering 7 calls in two days and price didn't seem to be an issue for him.

My biggest concern is that the scams are getting more frequent and more elaborate every day, sure these types of things go up in frequency with a roller coaster economy, but it is getting to be too much, listing on Auto Trader is more hastle than it worth these days, If its not scam emails or lowballers sending stupid offers to everyone than its a marketing company from BC who has buyers for your car if you pay them the $138 listing fee, but dont tell you tis until the ask you ten questions about your car posing as a buyer.

To conclude, everyone should be very carefull who they invite to teir home to look at their car. Ask qualifying questions and get full contact info and check to see if its legit.

I think tis experience has scared me for life, havent sold a car in a few years but I know when I sold my last 911 it was very different. I dont think I will invite anyone to my place to look at the car because of this, It will now be done through consignment, the couple grand arent worth the headaches anymore since I feel like I'm getting hosed at this price anyway.

Anybody have any other recomendations when selling a car? How to meet and where? Meeting at a Star Bucks for a coffee could work or anywhere public for that matter, but people get jacked for their cars in brod daylight everyday.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

I would say starbucks or timhortons is good and if they jack you then you get insurance money, which on most porsches is better than the current market for most models so you win anyways.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Danny, Its not the car I'm concerned with, its the possible hole in the head. Too many crazy people out there these days. Watching the news is evidence enough that people will do stupid things for even less.

Hopefully no one ever finds themselves in that sort of situation.

At this rate we will be selling to referals only. lol
Old 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
orangem
Advanced

these scams are so ridiculous now. they even go for low price items. I was clearing out old stuff from home and was selling a PS2 for $40. The scammer offered me $200 paypalled to ship to Africa.
It is a crazy world out there.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bavorak... I have a fix to that loser kid! Check your PM
Old 07-10-2010, 03:01 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Speedyellow993
Bavorak... I have a fix to that loser kid! Check your PM
Thank You, PM'd you a reply.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bavorak
Had alot of these paypal scams come my way recently. Fom sailors to travelling business men, even got one of these on ebay when selling some X6 rims, went to great lengths to get me to ship. All adresses were apparently army bases? UK and even in the US and that they would forward the shipment to him.

I got a very creepy one last week from a guy who who called about my car. Unusual fellow to say the least. Called about 7 times, blocked number and never left messages. First asked if I spoke Russian or know anyone who did for negotiating purposes apparently, than warned me that the person doing the negotiating on his behalf may make demeaning comments towards me and if it was possible for me to make similar comments back to put him in his place. Also asked me to raise my price by a few grand to make for better negotiating.

I have never, ever encountered a situation like this before and replied "No' to all his requests and told him that I felt uncomfortable eventalking to him since his requests were so odd.

Finally told him that I would be selling through a dealer to get the tax credit and would cost him the exact same and have the option of buying a waranty he said well I need more time to look around, odd considering 7 calls in two days and price didn't seem to be an issue for him.

My biggest concern is that the scams are getting more frequent and more elaborate every day, sure these types of things go up in frequency with a roller coaster economy, but it is getting to be too much, listing on Auto Trader is more hastle than it worth these days, If its not scam emails or lowballers sending stupid offers to everyone than its a marketing company from BC who has buyers for your car if you pay them the $138 listing fee, but dont tell you tis until the ask you ten questions about your car posing as a buyer.

To conclude, everyone should be very carefull who they invite to teir home to look at their car. Ask qualifying questions and get full contact info and check to see if its legit.

I think tis experience has scared me for life, havent sold a car in a few years but I know when I sold my last 911 it was very different. I dont think I will invite anyone to my place to look at the car because of this, It will now be done through consignment, the couple grand arent worth the headaches anymore since I feel like I'm getting hosed at this price anyway.

Anybody have any other recomendations when selling a car? How to meet and where? Meeting at a Star Bucks for a coffee could work or anywhere public for that matter, but people get jacked for their cars in brod daylight everyday.
i've recently placed my first ads on Kijiji. Bunch of motorcyle parts, motors, frames, even some milled flagstone for walkways. (cleaning out garage to save my marriage)
I have never seen such a bizarre number of e-mails/phone calls and I have decided that I will not allow anyone to visit my place for any reason. If I actually get someone who's serious i'll load the stuff in my trailer and meet at a parking lot to show them. Very very strange people on-line................. Not here though
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Got this one the other day:

Dear Friend,
I have a business transaction which I need your assistant, your share will be 40%; please if you are interested do reply this email.
Vincent Hong
Told him to "go F**k himself".
Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Got this one the other day:

Told him to "go F**k himself".
Wow, that scam isn't even creative! He might as well have said "hello, please send me your money".

I had an interesting one... I'm in the process of looking for a new apartment... found an ad on craigslist of a 1 bedroom condo for $750/month on lakeshore... I emailed the guy, he replies with something along the lines of "I own the condo but am out of the country on business and would like to rent it out while I am not in Toronto, blah blah blah". Seemed legit at this point, he even asked for references from previous landlords... so I emailed him asking for more info and to arrange a time to go see the place in person.

He emails back "sorry I am out of the country on business still but if you send me a first months deposit through paypal I can guarantee you the condo, and will then fly back to show it to you once I have received payment".

Not going to lie, I bet a number of people fell for it.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by chopperzz
i've recently placed my first ads on Kijiji. Bunch of motorcyle parts, motors, frames, even some milled flagstone for walkways. (cleaning out garage to save my marriage)
I have never seen such a bizarre number of e-mails/phone calls and I have decided that I will not allow anyone to visit my place for any reason. If I actually get someone who's serious i'll load the stuff in my trailer and meet at a parking lot to show them. Very very strange people on-line................. Not here though
Yes, seems as though Kijiji is a stomping ground for parasites (not everyone but that pool is deffinatly infested). Tried to sell rims on there a couple times and nothing but low low ballers and people h0r*&y to buy, bet never show up. Was told to try posting the car up there by a fellow member and surprisingly no funky emails or lowball offers, seems as though once you get into the serious money they dont even bother with rediculous offers.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
PPo
Drifting

I once met a guy at a Starbucks when I was selling a 951... Turned out he was just a test pilot. I felt so stupid letting him drive the car afterwards, but I am too friendly in general so it was my fault. He beat the tar out of the car, and I was not pleased. Only I drive the cat hard until you own it! I gave him a solid piece of my mind knowing that my ex-Hamilton Tiger Cat linemen friend was inside waiting for me... and I am not small either. Guy started mouthing off and laughing at me... the rest I can't share, but let's say he wasn't laughing with a nice smile after that night. Jerk deserved everything he got for shooting his mouth off and generally being disrespectfull.

As a result, I will never let anyone drive a sports car I am selling without at least them paying for a PPI to prove commitment. I will happily refund the PPI if they decide to purchase the car. If they don't agree to those terms, I will find another buyer.

The eventual buyer of the 951 was great to deal with, great guy, happily agreed to the terms, and he got a great car at a great price. I even dropped it off 200kms away for him at no extra cost, E-tested and certified. Everybody else was just noise... If they are serious, they will meet common sense terms, and meet you in person.... otherwise they are wasting your time.

P
Old 07-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

The problem with Kijiji is all the morons that reply to my add but, at first, I never know who the serious buyer is. So at first, I treat everyone with respect and then on the return email, I can figure out if the person is serious or just a f$cken idiot.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 PM
bavorak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
The problem with Kijiji is all the morons that reply to my add but, at first, I never know who the serious buyer is. So at first, I treat everyone with respect and then on the return email, I can figure out if the person is serious or just a f$cken idiot.
That is a good approach to take, I too like to give people the benefit of the doubt and treat everyone with respect until they give me a reason not to. I live my life by the rule " always treat others the same way you would like to be treated" To me thats with honesty and respect.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts

How much more do you think you can get privately versus running it through Seigel? Maybe it's not worth the hassle and perceived rick to go private.

Quick Reply: Classified Scam Thread