Notices

Looking for a Old P-Car Radio in working order

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010 | 04:49 PM
vipola
Racer

Cool Looking for a Old P-Car Radio in working order

I'm looking foward to install a basic audio system in my home Garage.. for when I work on my P-Car or Motorcycle.. I could just buy any radio at Wal-Mart.. but I'm thinking of the 'cool' factor here

I tought it would be cool to setup a old Porsche car sounds system.. I'm sure I can work something out with a 12v transformer and some speaker..

So I am looking for someone who got an Old Porsche Car Audio System to Give away or let go for a minor amount.. Having the Amp + Speakers with it would be extra nice.. I don't care if it's a tape-deck or if the Cd-player is dead.. I'm gonna use the FM Tuner anyway.. So if someone is converting a Track car and going into 'weight reduction'.. let me know

I know that newer porsche audio system use those complex optical system that need to talk to the ECU, etc, and won't work outside the car.. But I don't have money to buy one of those anyway :P I hope I can get an older audio system working in stand-alone without the car.. If you have any Info to give me about setting up the audio system outside the car, and what would work or not work, let me know I hope I can get it work with a 12V Transformer and a few speakers..

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010 | 08:07 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Default radio

I have a Blaupunkt - Monterey SQR23 out of my 86 - only issue is when it was installed and I hit a bump it would blow the fuse at back which was a pain to change. If you want to play around with it its yours
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2010 | 10:52 PM
cabguy
6th Gear

I have been looking for that exact radio. It was the O.E. radio in my '83 911sc. Is it still available?
Old 06-08-2010 | 10:59 PM
vipola
Racer

LoL..
Thanks BGregovski that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.. Something Classic with some History It not like I'm gonna hit a bump in my garage anyway

But I don't have any 'specific' need, so if Cabguy need it I'll wait the next one..

If cabguy don't take it let me know
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:05 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I think I have one from my first 928, an '83. I'll have to check as it's been sitting in my old closet at my parents house for over 10 years.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:08 PM
cabguy
6th Gear

You guys are great. I'm going to take the Alpine out of the car and install the Blaupunkt. If vipola can use it, he's welcome to it. However, the only history it has is it rode around in my 911 since about 2002.
Old 06-08-2010 | 11:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Well, you will be very dissapointed as they really do sound like crap. They also need an amplifier (at least in the 928) to work too. I have a spare factory Blaupunkt, out of the 86.5 parts car, sitting on the bench in the garage that you are wellcome to have.
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:50 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Car audio in the garage! Classic. I do listen to music in the garage, but I also like to watch movies..Yea I said movies. I watch them over and over sometimes. (I'm a sick puppy) I picked up a refurbed surround sound and lcd tv, and have it set up in the garage. I take the tv in for the winter though. I can work out there for HOURS this way. My wife asks.. "are you going to come in anytime soon?" I have a comfortable work stool, so I can kick back and rest and enjoy the rest of my movie.
Oh I justify it by the fact that I can view jpeg pictures on the screen. I load up a usb drive with schematics/diagrams of the car, plus detailed pics of the actual car/area I am working on to use as reference. Handy. I just need a lazyboy recliner and a fridge, and I'd be set!

Scott. (sorry for the slight thread jack)
Old 06-09-2010 | 07:10 PM
cabguy
6th Gear

Hello BGregovski,
See what you started! Any chance the Monterey is still available? It is one of the last things I need for the restoration of the '83 911sc.
Old 06-09-2010 | 10:14 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Yup I still have mine ... shoot a PM

BG
Old 12-10-2010 | 12:50 PM
Timst3r
2nd Gear

I have one that has been in storage for years.
Old 12-10-2010 | 02:22 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Love the idea, definitely ads a personal touch to your garage! One thing you should consider is that car amplifiers run off DC input (the battery), however the power outlet in your garage is AC.

The first problem with using the car audio in your garage is powering the amp. I guess you could hook it up to a 12V battery, never tried so I'm not sure how long it would last. Alternatively, I'm sure there's a way to convert the AC power of your garage outlet to DC.

The second is the sound quality. Without getting into a detailed physics discussion, because the car amp runs off ~12V DC, it draws a lot more current than your home amplifier which runs off ~110V AC, and thus the speakers have a different resistance rating to deal with it (car speakers are usually 4ohm, speakers in home audio are usually 8ohm.) What this means for you, is that using car audio in your garage may not produce very good sound quality, as the car audio system is designed for small enclosed spaces. Using 8ohm speakers with the car amp won't work very well, as the amp is designed for 4ohm speakers. 4ohm speakers work great in the car as it is a small, confined space. However in your garage, you will need to crank the volume a lot more to hear the music at the same volume (bigger space) and I think you will get a lot of distortion.

What I would do: find an old receiver and pair of speakers like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRANSAUDIO-6400-...item588b7ba497

Easiest installation ever (plug in and go!) and you can get a cable from best buy ($15) to allow you to hook up an ipod/laptop/etc... or just use the receivers' radio. They still have a classic look (i know, nowhere near as cool as an old Porsche radio) but proper sound!

Whatever you do, a garage isn't complete without a sound system, can't wait to hear what ends up working for you!

Quick Reply: Looking for a Old P-Car Radio in working order