Notices

Performance Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Apologies for moving off-topic, but the exclusivity of the PCA pisses me off. AFAIK they're the only car club to insist on only their make.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 AM
webbie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all PCA regions are P-car exclusive
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Update time, over the weekend my dad and I both registered for the Advanced BMW driver training for July 3!

I am super excited, can't wait!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
Apologies for moving off-topic, but the exclusivity of the PCA pisses me off. AFAIK they're the only car club to insist on only their make.

FYI: There was a Vette C6, BMW 3 series and a Subaru on track for this past weekend's DE event at Mosport...
Old 06-08-2010, 01:45 PM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always said the PCA Introductory school is probably the best way to start. It's a full weekend. The first day starts with classroom instruction, then you move on to the skidpad (driving in circles on a huge wet circle of concrete) to learn what it feels like to spin and then (hopefully) how to recover from that. Then it's braking and slalom exercises. The 2nd day is on the track, with an instructor. Everybody's *****-footing, because they're all brand new, and they don't tolerate people being jerks. It's a great way to get your feet wet.
Christien, back in the day (1989) I instructed for a 3 day course at the Nissan Advanced Driving School at Shannonville with Charlie Goodman and his son. What you described there is a carbon copy of that school ! This course was free for the new owners of a Nissan 300ZX back then, and the school ran 300ZX's and 240SX's. I had a ball working with them.

Does anybody here remember this school ?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Alright, so Saturday is finally approaching when my dad and I will each be taking part in the BMW Advanced Driver Training!

Does anybody have any pre-school advice? Best clothing to wear/tips for the training/etc..?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:28 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

- Get rid of any preconceived notions
- Bring your positive attitude
- Have fun

- Bring water, a hat, a warm jacket, some snacks
- Have fun
Old 07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Another voter for Pierre Savoy. A great coach and a really good guy too.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Alright, so Saturday is finally approaching when my dad and I will each be taking part in the BMW Advanced Driver Training!

Does anybody have any pre-school advice? Best clothing to wear/tips for the training/etc..?
Jon, I drove with you for over 8 hours... you''ll be fine! Take frequent drinks of water to stay hydrated.

The BMW Club has a competitive auto cross series as well, complete with a good PAX system and you can use any car. Alot of the guys may disagree but IMO this form of competition is the best and most affordable form of driver training if you're on a limited budget.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 07-01-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: damn IPoD keyboard
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Careful with too much water or you'll spend more time in the john than on the track (btdt)

Clothing: comfortable, but they often/usually insist on natural fibres and long pants and sleeves. This is in case of fire - natural fibres burn more slowly and long pants/sleeves will buy you an extra second. But if it's really hot, they'll usually relax the long sleeves rule.

The absolute 100% non-negotiable rule you MUST follow is to think with your head, not with your *****. Almost all of those scuff marks on the concrete walls are from people who didn't follow this rule. It's easy for me to say, driving a slow car, because no matter what, there's nothing to prove. And I've still crashed! As soon as your macho ego takes over, you're in trouble.

But don't let it scare you. My first few sessions at Mosport I was terrified, but by the afternoon I loosened up and by the end of the day was in 7th heaven. Don't waste time being scared - if you're not being stupid and you listen to your instructor you have nothing to fear. They know the track and the car far better than you, that's why they're instructing. Your first few trips through turn 2 will seem wrong, off-balance and maybe even scary. But when you get it, wow, there's no feeling like being flat to the floor at the bottom of that hill. I'm getting goosebumps just typing that now
Old 07-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 15 Posts

Not always true, our local (Polar Region)PCA club Autocross & HPDE is open to any type of car as long as it's inspected and the the owner has any affiliation with the PCA & BMW clubs in Alberta. Guest are always welcome, at the last AX we had a Dodge Neon and a 2009 Ferrari F430, quite a contrast.

I've seen everything from VW & Subaru to GT2 & CGT at our HPDE, everyone is made to feel welcome.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:55 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by FFaust
- Get rid of any preconceived notions
- Bring your positive attitude
- Have fun

- Bring water, a hat, a warm jacket, some snacks
- Have fun
Thanks FFaust, I will try my best to clear my head of all "macho-ness" before going! Having fun shouldn't be a problem!

Originally Posted by Ronan
Another voter for Pierre Savoy. A great coach and a really good guy too.
I will look out for him, do you know him personally Ronan?

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Jon, I drove with you for over 8 hours... you''ll be fine! Take frequent drinks of water to stay hydrated.

The BMW Club has a competitive auto cross series as well, complete with a good PAX system and you can use any car. Alot of the guys may disagree but IMO this form of competition is the best and most affordable form of driver training if you're on a limited budget.
Thanks Mark! That Hershey drive was certainly a good time... I have yet to put the pictures on a CD for you! Ok back on topic...

Careful with too much water or you'll spend more time in the john than on the track (btdt)

Clothing: comfortable, but they often/usually insist on natural fibres and long pants and sleeves. This is in case of fire - natural fibres burn more slowly and long pants/sleeves will buy you an extra second. But if it's really hot, they'll usually relax the long sleeves rule.

The absolute 100% non-negotiable rule you MUST follow is to think with your head, not with your *****. Almost all of those scuff marks on the concrete walls are from people who didn't follow this rule. It's easy for me to say, driving a slow car, because no matter what, there's nothing to prove. And I've still crashed! As soon as your macho ego takes over, you're in trouble.

But don't let it scare you. My first few sessions at Mosport I was terrified, but by the afternoon I loosened up and by the end of the day was in 7th heaven. Don't waste time being scared - if you're not being stupid and you listen to your instructor you have nothing to fear. They know the track and the car far better than you, that's why they're instructing. Your first few trips through turn 2 will seem wrong, off-balance and maybe even scary. But when you get it, wow, there's no feeling like being flat to the floor at the bottom of that hill. I'm getting goosebumps just typing that now
Good advice on the clothing, I will take it into account! Unfortunately the driver training isn't being done at Mosport (I believe the expert levels are) they are at the Congress Center where I suppose they will have skidpads and an autocross setup. Having said that, I couldn't help but splash a huge grin across my face as I read your description of turn 2! I've marshalled that corner and can only imagine the adrenaline rush from driving it!

I'm getting really excited now ... can't wait to update you all on Monday!

Quick Reply: Performance Driving School