Notices

Bicycles on Yonge St!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:24 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bicycles on Yonge St!

So I'm driving to work 7:30 am sunday morning barely any traffic on the roads and i see a guy on bike pedaling away on yonge street on the side closer to center.

I don't know if you know but around lawerence and yonge there is construction and only one lane with RAISED! man hole covers! and this stupid biker had no consideration to let me by unless i went over the man hole covers with my lowered 25 year old Porsche!

at the traffic light i had to speed and immediately brake and turn to the right side the lane to block him so i could get ahead of him so i can safely maneuver around the raised man hole covers! Did he not realize there was a car behind him driving at 20 mph for 3 or 4 minutes and not passing?! Nobody is walking on the sidewalk at this time he should be off the damn road especially through the construction!

ok i'm done ranting now.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

cyclist are arragont a-holes... not much you can do sebastian.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not just Toronto

In Halton hills this past weekend I was driving Northbound and was about to pass a cyclist in a passing zone, when he abruptly turned left in front of me without any hand signals or look over shoulder, nothing.
I quickly slowed and said, "hand signals save lives". He looked at me as if I was in the wrong and gave me the finger.

I can see how cyclists can be prickish, considering the risks that they take to do the things that they love, but to be an *** when they're in the wrong is just stupid.

Frankly it makes me want to drive over their spandex'd asses and break their shaved legs.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

well the best part outside the city, say like Milton side... You see cyclist and no one around, so next time i get a finger for driving my porsche, im runniing them over, then reverse on them just to be sure lols :P

Turn on CP24, LeDrew Live is on and this Cyclist Speaker is avoiding all questions that puts her kind in the worng... Even LeDrew is liek "Why dont you answer the Question?" lols
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM
gekko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zookie
well the best part outside the city, say like Milton side... You see cyclist and no one around, so next time i get a finger for driving my porsche, im runniing them over, then reverse on them just to be sure lols :P
Your just bitter from that guy on the road bike giving you the finger
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 AM
peritus
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944

at the traffic light i had to speed and immediately brake and turn to the right side the lane to block him so i could get ahead of him so i can safely maneuver around the raised man hole covers!
LOL, I bet he liked that!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

just pull a Bryant on him...hahaha
Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

yeah don't run him over . reach out , grab the handle bars and floor it .. while at the same time doing your best evil laugh ...
Old 06-04-2010, 01:46 PM
michel944
Pro

^^^^^ You're the man iceman !!!!

(Floor it up to 200......)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

As a long time competitive cyclist, and a one-time cycle commuter, and a passionate driver, I see both sides of the story for sure. It's not really a "bikes" vs "cars" thing in so many cases. Its more consideration and situational awareness. The biker in the construction zone? None of either.

The motorist who turned left through an intersection into the sun - striking my wife-at-the-time who was proceeding on a green light? Not much of the first - none of the second.

Examine just about all of the car/bike confrontations or collisions and a healthy dose of both would make a world of difference.

Many cyclist don't obey any rules of the road, somehow thinking that they are above such trivial notions - and many drivers think cyclists have no right to me there. Frankly BOTH positions are dangerous and wrong.

I'm not actually a fan of "sharing" the road either - I'm still searching for data that shows Toronto bike lanes are making any beneficial difference. The ones added to streets near me have made driving MUCH worse, with no appreciable increase in cycling use. The part that bothers me the most is that a lane lost to bikes is a 24/7/365 cost. Cycling in a 5 month activity at best for most folks. I jsut don't see the benefit in so many cases.

RK
Old 06-06-2010, 01:00 PM
PPo
Drifting

Agree with RK 100%...

Take a look at Dundas east of Yonge. The turned it into one carlane/one bike lane from a two lane, both with parking. What I don't understand is if I drive on Queen, Gerrard, or Eastern heading into downtown in the morning, you see more bikes on the other 3 streets compared to Dundas. Why? Well, I asked a cyclist and his comment was: "Too many cyclists going too slow, it breaks my rythym." Boo hoo..

So we know it doesn't work... Dundas is proof...ditch the idea.

We all have responsibilites on the road, making sure people on bikes have an oppourtunity for a safe and easy trip is certainly a shared responsibility. After almost hiting a women cycling right through a clearly red light last week, and getting the finger, I feel it is these actions that makes me really dislike bike riders on the road. I used to be a supporter, but after seeing many close calls and strong ignorance from the cyclists, I have very very little respect for cyclists... I will give them the room they deserve, but not the respect. The respect just isn't reciprical from the majority of cyclists from what I have seen...

By the way, hope you are doing well RK... It has been awhile!

Quick Reply: Bicycles on Yonge St!