Notices

This is the 'why' part of no overturn of 50K and over speeding law...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Yup, I read about those idiots in the obits all the time.

Unfortunately, they usually takes someone else along in the process.

Confiscate the cars, sell them and put the money in the tax base. Tough!
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Confiscate the cars, sell them and put the money in the tax base. Tough!
you are stupid individual... i wish this happens to you, i shall point and laugh at you...
Old 05-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
interesting thread about speeds on the 400 series highways.....

I might be the minority here (or the fact that my Pcar is a convertible), but I don't particularly like driving the 400 series highways with the Boxster. With 35 series tires, stiff suspension, the ride isn't very comfortable. With the top down, it's just too loud with too much tire noise and traffic to be enjoyed.

On the bike, the 400 series highways are a nightmare. I don't travel them enough to know where the roads have been scarified (which is very scary with my tires) The last time I took my bike to TO, I was holding on to the bars with a deathgrip. The traffic doesn't bother me, it's the changing road conditions.

When we go up to Toronto or Muskoka, and taking the 4XX roads vs the backroads, the slow@ss CRV or Jetta is fine, and a much more comfortable ride, Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cruising along at 130+kph on the 400..... just not something I would pick the Pcar for.... (plus I miss 2 members of my family and the dog )
Toyota makes a very good Solara convertible that may suit your driving needs. Comfy, 4 seats, and can soak up bumps while providing a floating ride. I don't think Porsche had these traits in mind when designing any of their cars....
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nine11
Toyota makes a very good Solara convertible that may suit your driving needs. Comfy, 4 seats, and can soak up bumps while providing a floating ride. I don't think Porsche had these traits in mind when designing any of their cars....
hopefully the solara can fit the family and dog......
Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

^^^^ lols hahaha you guys are jokes and i thought i was Rude...
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
^^^^ lols hahaha you guys are jokes and i thought i was Rude...
i'd call it being "brutally honest" in your case above zook...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:39 PM
PPo
Drifting

I once heard of a hypothetical guy that told a story that went...

Way back when with my hyper modified 951, drove to Ottawa on a bet that I could not be at a bar before my friends. On the 417, brand new pavement, passed a cop, with radar gun and tripod out. All he did was waive at me. Why? Doing over 220 km/h. I remember calculating that by the time he got in the car and got up to 200Km/h, I would have been 3-5 kms down the road. Now that I am all growed up, I realize that I could out run any cop in my Porsche(s), but no matter how fast I drive I can't out run their radios. Good thing I never got pinched being stupid....

By the way... I won the bet...

P
Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 PM
PPo
Drifting

I drove an S55 on the Gardiner a few days ago... With that car you WOULD feel safe at 220km/h... what a machine. Different experience than a P-Car but I walked away very impressed.

No, I did not race a BMW while driving the S55... not that I know of at least...
Old 05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

you are stupid individual... i wish this happens to you, i shall point and laugh at you...
I guess the guy doing more than double the speed limit is smarter.

With a comment like yours, I wish you get hit by one of them. You'll be whistling a different tune then. I guess you never ended up in the hospital with serious injuries due to some lame brain driver.

Besides, we need the money for MRIs and operators.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:37 PM
PPo
Drifting

This is getting really good...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 92 Posts

No they dont have Beefed up motors.. me and 2 fellow Rennlist members were out last night at the local Tims, when two Peel Officers approched us, curious about our cars... They were car enthusiast as well and we all had a good chat for about an hour... I asked them if their cars are beefed up, they said No they were preety much stock... One Charger the other Impala... They said the Crown Vic is teh best coz it has a more power coz of the V8... Anyways we had a great insight on the local dep and what they are upto these days around Peel Region... Really Cool and down to earth guys, but they dint have anything Nice to say about the OPP at all, also talking about Curuption in the OPP Dep and what they have seen and heard... One also commented on why they dont have a V8 Charger, "because they end up around a Pole anyways"...

Im sure if a 4 banger Civic can get up to 160+, these V6 cop cars can go well past that...
This is essentially accurate. The Police Interceptor Crown Vic does have a dual exhaust system which adds around 10-hp I believe. The biggest impediment to a cruiser reaching over 160 is the light bar which is why most OPP cars don't have them.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by grahamb
A guy on a bike hits me at 225 and I might survive. A car at that speed wipes out my family with great certainty.

That's the difference for me - bikes are closer to suicide while this is closer to negligent homicide in case of errors.
You are obviously not a rider. A bike will cut you and the entire car in half at 225km/h. Most bike accidents are not caused by the rider but by idiots that don't pay attention to their surroundings.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:39 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IXLR8
With a comment like yours, I wish you get hit by one of them. You'll be whistling a different tune then. I guess you never ended up in the hospital with serious injuries due to some lame brain driver.
thank god im not the immature one here...

anways dont worry about me even if i get hit, ill walk or crawl away... but looking at how old you are in that picture you cant even stand straight, you will # 2 and 1 at the sametime yourself first (ill put money on this) followed by, we all know what... lols i guess you will be needing that MRI Machine, ill be "wishing" you are last in line...
Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
interesting thread about speeds on the 400 series highways.....

I might be the minority here (or the fact that my Pcar is a convertible), but I don't particularly like driving the 400 series highways with the Boxster. With 35 series tires, stiff suspension, the ride isn't very comfortable. With the top down, it's just too loud with too much tire noise and traffic to be enjoyed.

On the bike, the 400 series highways are a nightmare. I don't travel them enough to know where the roads have been scarified (which is very scary with my tires) The last time I took my bike to TO, I was holding on to the bars with a deathgrip. The traffic doesn't bother me, it's the changing road conditions.

When we go up to Toronto or Muskoka, and taking the 4XX roads vs the backroads, the slow@ss CRV or Jetta is fine, and a much more comfortable ride, Don't get me wrong, I don't mind cruising along at 130+kph on the 400..... just not something I would pick the Pcar for.... (plus I miss 2 members of my family and the dog )
I think you bought the wrong car AND bike. I have no problem taking either of them.

Just as Ted said, majority of the sport bike riders don't stop for the police. Years ago when I got pulled over, the officer actually thanked me for stopping and that's when I learned that most just crack the throttle and dissapear.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperzz
Hmmmm, I wonder if the experience that you have in your boxter is specific to that model and not "Pcar" in general? For example my C2s Cab shares none of the issues that you express about the Boxter. I guess that it seems reasonable that the 2 models are different based on pricepoint and target demographic. Trade up and maybe the problem will go away?
What would you pick the Pcar for??
Hi Chopperzz,

I don't think trading up to another 2 door Pcar will do me any good. I have a wife and 2 small kids (age 4 and 7years old - average height and skinny) They are small enough to fit in the backseat, but with the booster seat laws, that might be tight in the back. With 2 kids and a dog, none of the 2 door Pcars would be a weekend getaway vehicle. Definitely not a family vehicle.

I don't think they would like the extended drone or buffetting in the back from 401 driving.

I really find driving behind or beside full size transports really loud, and i'm sure the buffetting in a cab would be similiar to my car.

I don't find my car that fun for sitting in GTA traffic snarls, and breathing the exhaust fumes from the surrounding vehicles. For a 2 door (hardtop) coupe, I would probably not consider a PCar (probably based on price - especially at this point in my life) - I would probably shop for a Z350/370 or for something different maybe a Mustang (GT500?)

I hate the fact that it's a pain to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in it, so I usually take a different car when golfing at the cottage. Barely can fit 1 set and 1 pull cart in my 2 trunks.

What I do like about my car? or what would I pick it for?
- I take it on a commute to work 45km in 30 minutes through roads that wind along the Nith River. I can count about 30-50 cars in the oncoming traffic in the 30 minute commute before I hit town. I particularly like it now when I leave in the mornings when it's too cold for the bike (< 5C), but nice enough for top down driving in the afternoon

- I take it on grocery runs to Elmira or into Waterloo to pick up pop/chips/beer or a part at Home Depot or Canadiantire on nice nights, when suiting up for the bike is just a pain.

- I love it in Muskoka, where a lot of the pavement is decent, the roads are windy (as in curvy, not windy as in sailing - damn english). For the week long trips to the cottage, I may bring it up as a 2nd vehicle. Before I had the Pcar, I would often trailer up the bike to have up there. That being said, it's probably easier to negotiate around bumps/frost heaves/ potholes on some of the secondary roads up there on a bike than to try to avoid them in the relatively lowriding boxster. I see alot of Pcars and 'exotics' as my father-in-law calls them at Port Carling or Lake Joseph Club, but for us as a family, it's just easier to boat up to those places than to take the car.

- I love the way it handles on the track. I sold my trackbike last year when I picked up the Boxster S. I'm finding that it's more and more a replacement even for my streetbike -a VFR800. I've been riding for about 10 years now. It's way easier on the track in the Pcar then it ever was on the CBR. The prep work is almost non existant - good pads, fresh brake fluid, and gas. No taping up lights, removing coolant or trailering to the track.

- I pick the Pcar when chauffering (sp?) just 1 kid around. Currently the 4 yr old plays ball hockey, and he loves coming in the car with me. My daughter likes riding in it too.

My honest opinion?
- it's a very good car, but far from perfect for a family guy. For someone who's unattached or a DINK, or whose kids have grown up it's a very, VERY good car.

Quick Reply: This is the 'why' part of no overturn of 50K and over speeding law...